• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
No need to simulate, it's been confirmed above that it will turn on with the saved settings. Won't be trusting blindly though, double checking the settings before use is crucial.

I understand that this aspect is crucial if one configures sources to resume play after a power interruption. If the volume goes straight to -0Db it may suddenly overload downstream electronics and the speakers. I do not have such sources but for other users it is important. I always check the volume on the display(s) as well, but one day I may forget to…

Jaimo

I just cancelled my Pre90 order after I came across the A90D. The A90D is listed on Amazon at the same price as the Pre90. Wondering if Topping is encouraging a switch to the A90D.

I also considered the pro's and con's of both units and the A90D looks like a better value and featured option at this time. Is there anything compelling about the Pre90?

SiamXIII

I just cancelled my Pre90 order after I came across the A90D. The A90D is listed on Amazon at the same price as the Pre90. Wondering if Topping is encouraging a switch to the A90D.

I also considered the pro's and con's of both units and the A90D looks like a better value and featured option at this time. Is there anything compelling about the Pre90?
Pre90 has -140db crosstalk vs -113db on a90d through bal out. Also more accurate volume controls. I also considered a90d, but settled on pre90, as I don't need headphone amp.

Jaimo

“Also more accurate volume controls. I also considered a90d, but settled on pre90, as I don't need headphone amp.”

The A90D has user selectable volume curves which allows one to select a suitable volume curve based on use case. This is pretty smart.

SiamXIII

“Also more accurate volume controls. I also considered a90d, but settled on pre90, as I don't need headphone amp.”

The A90D has user selectable volume curves which allows one to select a suitable volume curve based on use case. This is pretty smart.
I effectively use range from -20db to -14db. So no need for curves. But you may need one.

Jaimo

-113dB crosstalk is still 'good' though. -140dB is of course 'excellent'.
I come from an era of 25dB channel separation phono cartridges so this is less of an issue for me on the analog side.

Life is full of compromises - it will be interesting to note if the stereo imaging changes when I insert the A70D onto my signal chain. I am extremely sensitive to channel balance.

SiamXIII

I come from an era of 25dB channel separation phono cartridges so this is less of an issue for me on the analog side.

Life is full of compromises - it will be interesting to note if the stereo imaging changes when I insert the A70D onto my signal chain. I am extremely sensitive to channel balance.
In the end cancelled Pre90 order. Ordered Gustard P26 instead to match my R26.

SiamXIII

There was trouble with P26 shipping, so settled on A90D after all. 12v trigger - will also be nice, as I use LA90.

Jaimo

There was trouble with P26 shipping, so settled on A90D after all. 12v trigger - will also be nice, as I use LA90.
I don’t doubt that you will find the A90D a great addition to your system. I am still playing around with volume curves etc- it does take time to get used to the different functions that this unit offers. I do find that I am listening to music at much higher levels than before I installed my A90D.

I hooked up an old Pioneer PL12D as a temporary measure while I figure out what turntable to add to the system and was up into the early hours of the morning spinning vinyl.

My next project is to tidy up my cabling by making up some custom length RCA and balanced interconnects. I also took advantage of the spring sale and bought a Pre90 Ext.

Also my SVS sub levels need to be adjusted. Waiting for the wife to leave so I can run a few REW sweeps…

Jim Creek

Just as I noted in my post.

As we discussed in another thread, it's simply passing the buck from one stage to another. A preamplifier (that's supposedly what this is) with an input impedance this low (~2K or less) is a faulty design. It's only configured this way, solely to get great numbers on paper. It has one single legacy RCA input at ~10K but that hasn't been tested in this review. Let's see a typical CD player source impedance of 200R-470R and a series ~10uF cap FR plot into this.

Preamplifiers are intended to bring multiple devices with variable output levels, impedances and capabilities together, to switch, buffer and normalize in order to drive the next stage. They are not used in isolation. That's what these AP numbers jockeys don't realize.
I don’t entirely disagree with this assessment but I will add this: If you are an audiophile like me that has two sources, a newer phono preamp and a newer DAC then the Pre90 is a great fit. My Modi Multibit has an output impedance of 75ohms. My Mani 2 phono preamp also has an output impedance of 75 ohms. I’ll be using an XLR to RCA cable for the DAC input. The phono preamp will plug onto the RCA input.

I also have a CD player that connects to the Digital COAX input of the DAC and a TV connection that connects via Optical to the DAC.

For me the Pre90 is a great fit. I don’t think I’m alone in this. If you have older/vintage equipment then the Pre90 may not work for you.

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine sounds fine with both phono input and DAC via XLR, better than my previous Bruno Putzeys Pre.

Maybe Bruno's design was also 'faulty'.

I had a low level hum using the phono via RCA (legacy ). Probably due to 4M interconnects, so I bought the extender for the pre and switched the connectors to XLR ( the cable was already starquad balanced) problem fixed.

Last edited:

JohnnyNG

For me the Pre90 is a great fit. I don’t think I’m alone in this. If you have older/vintage equipment then the Pre90 may not work for you.
Exactly. The latter demographic probably wouldn't get past the brand anyway.

Jim Creek

I just received my Pre90 today. It replaces a 6 year old Shiit Saga. I bought it on Aliexpress from Shenzen Audio. Shipping was incredibly quick with DHL. Tracking was great too. Still evaluating the sound but so far I’m loving it.

Edit: Normally I would just order from Amazon but was able to get a ~$100 discount by doing it ‘the hard way’.

Last edited:

Jim Creek

It's dead silent, isn't it?
Yes dead silent, very detailed and the music has some oomph and presence. Sound staging is quite good as well. It’s a step up from my old Saga.

gad

balanced to unbalanced additional gain????????

Currently using just received Pre90 D90 combo with RCA in RCA out. My current amp is an Ava Fet Valve 600R, input impedance 500,000 ohms, unbalanced rca inputs only. The matching Ava Fet Valve CF preamp that the Pre90 replaced is unbalanced with 20db line gain. I seldom went past 9 o'clock on the volume dial for reasonable 70-80db volume. To achieve same volume range with the D90 in dac mode to Pre90 requires preamp volume setting of around 20. To clarify, I was using the D90 dac with my previous
Ava CF preamp.

Would the additional Pre90 gain going XLR in to XLR out with xlr to rca adapter cable provide any advantage or disadvantage or nada????????????

Dgob

balanced to unbalanced additional gain????????

Currently using just received Pre90 D90 combo with RCA in RCA out. My current amp is an Ava Fet Valve 600R, input impedance 500,000 ohms, unbalanced rca inputs only. The matching Ava Fet Valve CF preamp that the Pre90 replaced is unbalanced with 20db line gain. I seldom went past 9 o'clock on the volume dial for reasonable 70-80db volume. To achieve same volume range with the D90 in dac mode to Pre90 requires preamp volume setting of around 20. To clarify, I was using the D90 dac with my previous
Ava CF preamp.

Would the additional Pre90 gain going XLR in to XLR out with xlr to rca adapter cable provide any advantage or disadvantage or nada????????????
Yes, to the first part (xlr - xlr).

geekosa

If wile have a good dac (let's say d90se or su-9 Pro) connectee into a great amp, can the Pre90 make a difference ?

Top Bottom