• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

ajc9988

PS: all you folks screaming for teardown two seconds after review, I know you don't mean it, but it sometimes seems like Topping/John is some DIY/opensource buddy from your neighborhood without will/right for at least some amount of intellectual property.. should't he publish all the technical documentation right now for us and Topping rivals? :facepalm: :)
Bad argument. Period. You think this is an IP issue?

1) If a competitor wants to reverse engineer, the cost of buying one and opening it up and checking it out is de minimus. This would not help competitors because they would buy one anyways to do detailed probing and scope work with the product to truly understand what was done.
2) If it fits the novelty requirements, get a patent to have a monopoly for a delineated period. If it is not patentable, refer back to point number 1.
3) By not doing a tear down, it only prevents hobbyists from seeing what is going on, not competitors. Arguably, this could prevent the one off creation of an amp for an individual and cost a sale, but that person likely would have built something else anyways rather than buy the product if true.
4) This is not calling for schematics and board views, but arguably those should be provided anyways as a means of promoting right to repair. Your argument literally contributes to the growing e-waste issue and promotes mass consumerism in an irresponsible way.

So I really am having a hard time with your rationality. Sorry to necro a comment so old, but I only just saw it and needed to speak out about embedded points, the problem with it not achieving what you think it does regarding competition, and that it only hurts hobbyists AND RIGHT TO REPAIR rather than actually moving the community and the movement for repairing your own devices forward. Go watch Louis Rossmann and his stance on schematics or die for more information on right to repair.

Edit:

As a fifth point, I point to a hobbyist recreating Viktor's 1kHz oscillator. He used the schematics and laid out his board, but had not optimized placement and traces. The difference in performance from Viktor's work was 20dB higher noise level. Just because you know what is there does not mean you can replicate the product. See point number 1 and 2 and 4.

Last edited:

LumenMedia

Hi, guys. Recently while plugging power brick of Topping pa5 to my inlet i saw an electric spark. And it happens every time i plug power supply. Is it safe or better to leave it plugged all time?

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi, guys. Recently while plugging power brick of Topping pa5 to my inlet i saw an electric spark. And it happens every time i plug power supply. Is it safe or better to leave it plugged all time?
it's generally a good idea to let electronic devices plugged in all the time (Except when you are away for extended period of time, or some extraordinary circumstances like thunderstorms). statistically they are much likely to fail during plug/unplug time

LumenMedia

it's generally a good idea to let electronic devices plugged in all the time (Except when you are away for extended period of time, or some extraordinary circumstances like thunderstorms). statistically they are much likely to fail during plug/unplug time
Thanks for the advice!

Toku

Major Contributor
Such a power supply generates a large surge current when the AC plug is inserted.
In particular, if the power supply is an AC200V line, a larger current will flow.
Sparking when you plug it in is normal.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Such a power supply generates a large surge current when the AC plug is inserted.
In particular, if the power supply is an AC200V line, a larger current will flow.
Sparking when you plug it in is normal.

It is one of the reasons we have switches on our sockets in the UK :)

(I had the same sparking with my laptop supply when visiting my Mum in USA)

nn_in

Will a TRS (1/4) with two rings on the jack and xlr on the other end work with Topping PA5 ?

0mega0

I have this amp and it is extremely quiet with regard to hum and buzz compared to other amps that I have. Is the noise floor really that low or is it using some type of auto-mute technology?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have this amp and it is extremely quiet with regard to hum and buzz compared to other amps that I have. Is the noise floor really that low or is it using some type of auto-mute technology?

Enjoy the calm before the storm. ;)

Toku

Major Contributor
Amirm's measurement results will answer all your questions.
But some say it's the calm before the storm.
However, my PA5 has been working continuously for 8 months and is perfectly normal.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Will a TRS (1/4) with two rings on the jack and xlr on the other end work with Topping PA5 ?
The plug that fits PA5 is a 6.35mmΦ(1/4) TRS plug.
TRRS is used for SONY's 4.4mmΦ plugs, etc., and is used as a balanced connection headphone plug.

Attachments

• TRS Plug.jpg
    TRS Plug.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 46
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 45
  • TS-TRS-TRRS-mini-01.jpg
    TS-TRS-TRRS-mini-01.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 47

nn_in

The plug that fits PA5 is a 6.35mmΦ(1/4) TRS plug.
TRRS is used for SONY's 4.4mmΦ plugs, etc., and is used as a balanced connection headphone plug.
TRS itself has mono and stereo types available?
Can any type be used for PA5 ?
I plan to use PA5 in two ways

1. Using TRS male (PA5) to XLR female cable (Ares 2 DAC)
2. Using TRS male to RCA male cable (other sources with RCA outputs)

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
TRS itself has mono and stereo types available?
Can any type be used for PA5 ?
I plan to use PA5 in two ways

1. Using TRS male (PA5) to XLR female cable (Ares 2 DAC)
2. Using TRS male to RCA male cable (other sources with RCA outputs)
TRS is used for stereo signals or balanced connections.
Always use TRS with balanced connection for PA5.

Do not use your second suggestion for PA5. It greatly reduces the performance of PA5.
Be sure to use a balanced connection.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do not use your second suggestion for PA5. It greatly reduces the performance of PA5.

Replace the word “greatly” with “slightly” and I’d agree. As far as we can see, the only impact is a 1.25dB loss of power (25% loss of power)

nn_in

TRS is used for stereo signals or balanced connections.
Always use TRS with balanced connection for PA5.

Thank You for the response.If i use rca does the input to the PA5 drop by 50%?

LumenMedia

Hi again. I use Topping pa5 to drive my passive studio monitors in stereo mode. Does it make sense to use two of them for each monitors separately using only one channel of amplifier? Will it improve power? It least power supply will need 2 times less power for peaks in this scenario. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom