• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

Phrangko

I'm writing this inquiry from an almost complete lack of knowledge concerning the question of what role the Topping M50 plays:

Currently, I hardwire connect my iPhone 8 to a Topping D90SE. The D90SE feeds a Topping A90 through to a Topping PA5 which drives a pair of Revel M16 speakers. Topping cables are used throughout (except between the phone and D90SE and when connecting the PA5 to my loudspeakers). I sometimes listen to Tidal streamed music using Dan Clark Aeon Noires.

(1) I have no idea whether this is the 'proper way' (highest fidelity way) to play music streamed from Tidal (my primary music source), although the music generally sounds mighty good to me;

(2) Would adding the M50 to the audio chain described above (between the iPhone and D90SE) serve any fidelity related purpose?

Please feel free to educate me. I'm just starting to grasp digital music reproduction. Thank you all!

Jonathan
If you don't have digital files (flac, wav, etc ) the M50 has no value for you. Your setup is just right.

nsfgp

Am I the only one looking at the M50 as the cheapest way to add IIS to a Raspi or a PC/Mac?
Cheap way for Pi?? These have been around for awhile FYI. Just 2 variants of these almost kinda homebrew stuff out of China. You will find more if you look.
No personal experience with these myself.
$33
$50

bsas

Cheap way for Pi?? These have been around for awhile FYI. Just 2 variants of these almost kinda homebrew stuff out of China. You will find more if you look.
No personal experience with these myself.
$33
$50

OK, sorry, I meant a cheap alternative to the Pi2AES (that is even discontinued unfortunately).

The problem with those chinese generic hats is the official support on OSes like Volumio for example :(

nsfgp

OK, sorry, I meant a cheap alternative to the Pi2AES (that is even discontinued unfortunately).

The problem with those chinese generic hats is the official support on OSes like Volumio for example :(
Another one at $42. Using Hifiberry driver (I imagine most of these chinese generics uses Hifiberry driver like most generic HAT) and seems to work with Moode/Volumio.
Also read one review in the bottom someone from Korea seems to report success using it with DO200 DAC.
$42

arshinov101

Just now I took m50 out of the box, connected it (there is no dc adapter included) to aux supply 5v icepower amp, and to D90SE,
set up Wi-Fi, installed BubbleUPnP on the android phone, enter in Tidal account, chose m50 as a render. The music started playing.
Master MQA via Bubble goes as flac 16/44 (maybe I didn't set something up properly).
Tested saved on phone Wav 24/192 through Bubble DLNA Wi-Fi - reproduces correctly as 24/192.

FuzzTone

Good for you. I have 6 streamers that do that far more efficiently. It is so worth it to not waste 30+ minutes entering a password. On a par with ignoring the MQA scam.
Mine goes Toslink and coax to a E50. My coax cable sounds much better.

rarewolf

Good for you. I have 6 streamers that do that far more efficiently. It is so worth it to not waste 30+ minutes entering a password. On a par with ignoring the MQA scam.
Mine goes Toslink and coax to a E50. My coax cable sounds much better.

Are you saying you have to enter the password more than once?

rarewolf

Also I use M50 as DLNA to listen my Synology music

Which DLNA server are you using on the Synology NAS? I opted for the standard one, but I’m wondering if if I should’ve gone minimal(?)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Is there no volume control in this unit for airplay ?

rarewolf

Is there no volume control in this unit for airplay ?

I’m still waiting for mine, but I don’t believe there’s a volume control for any input. This streamer is entirely digital, and intended to serve an amplifier for which you’d have analog volume control.

ConeyIsland

My plan is to use this in my vehicle. I’ll plug this into usb power in my truck, and use this to DDC my iPad to digital coax to my DSP. I’m currently using a Topping D10 for this, but this looks like it’ll add USB drive input as well. Which is a welcomed addition to me. Any measurements on this? I’m also curious is it provides power to the usb device when using phone/tablet as source? I’ve just placed my order.

raif71

Major Contributor
My plan is to use this in my vehicle. I’ll plug this into usb power in my truck, and use this to DDC my iPad to digital coax to my DSP. I’m currently using a Topping D10 for this, but this looks like it’ll add USB drive input as well. Which is a welcomed addition to me. Any measurements on this? I’m also curious is it provides power to the usb device when using phone/tablet as source? I’ve just placed my order.
When I connect my DAP to the M50 via usb, M50 charges my DAP. In such cases, the M50 acts like a host device and accesses the DAP's storage to play files from the it.

FuzzTone

I’m still waiting for mine, but I don’t believe there’s a volume control for any input. This streamer is entirely digital, and intended to serve an amplifier for which you’d have analog volume control.
Or a DAC with control, at least remote like an E50.

FuzzTone

When I connect my DAP to the M50 via usb, M50 charges my DAP. In such cases, the M50 acts like a host device and accesses the DAP's storage to play files from the it.
Worse than a handheld device (illegal here) while driving.

Top Bottom