• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did send a request for an ESD protected unit. Did you? Curious if the email was sent regardless of if the owner requested the ESD protected version.
I didn't make any special request, and got the same email, and also an email for a new L30 order. So, now it's time to sit back and wait for the new unit.

kurtli

Bought my L30 from a China seller through local e commerce platform. Now seller asked to send it back to China out of my own pocket. Topping customer service says won’t compensate the shipping fee. I have 5 Topping products 3 are defective within 2 years (D50,Nx4DSD,L30). Lesson learned.

Roland68

Major Contributor
What should I do if I got mine on Amazon, from SHENZHENAUDIO? Or am I screwed and can only hope it won't blow up any of my headphones?
You simply contact SHENZHENAUDIO via Amazon.
You can also ask Amazon to contact SHENZHENAUDIO about the exchange.
They will then contact you and organize the exchange.
I received a tracking number within one day, but will not be shipped until Topping has delivered tested units.

Heyyoudvd

Has anyone heard back from headphones.com?

That’s where my L30 came from. I emailed them as soon as this story broke, they said they were waiting for an update from Shenzhen, and I haven’t heard anything since.

iggamonst

I recently purchased my L30 from Linsoul.com

When I found out about the issue, I contacted Linsoul within 7-days of receiving the unit. I requested a return/refund, but, they explained that they cannot process a refund. Instead, they want me to send them a video showing me destroying the L30. After reviewing the video to confirm the destruction, Topping will provide a replacement. A video seems a bit excessive, IMHO.

Blizz

Sorry to nitpick, that doesn't mention the 'newer' (less serious) ESD issues that @JohnYang1997 only mentions as being found/fixed on Thursday.
Yeah I saw that however the email from Apos yesterday saying the replacements will have the ESD protections

Apos:
"As you might have heard, besides the DC protection design improvement on the L30 (serial number 2012 or higher), TOPPING has also further refined the L30 to address the ESD concern in rare instances. I am happy to let you know that the replacement unit you are entitled to will include all the latest revisions."

Looks like apos sent that email even if you didn't request the ESD protected revision. Also note that wrote on the 14th and they sent the email the 15th. I hope Apos sticks to their word on the email.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also got the email from Apos Audio. What incredible support from Topping. I'm impressed with the transparency, professionalism, and determination to ensure that their products meet their customers' needs. Thanks all.

I don't think we want to be handing out any transparency medals here.

Topping knew there was a problem with the voltage regulation back in November. And they snuck a fix in for that into the December production units without telling anyone. At least I could not find a mention of it in this thread.

The so-called transparency didn't happen until there were several amp failures with headphone damage. Until, because of social media complaints, they were forced to mention that they had already implemented a fix in order to minimize damage to the brand.

Hopefully, next time they will be more transparent. If Topping had said something back in November about the DC regulation, then someone might have remembered that a member had already reported in October multiple ESD problems with amp failure and a headphone death.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ne-amplifier-review.15226/page-80#post-546135

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-106#post-584342

There could have been this same discussion much earlier where people analyzed the amp and determined why there could be an ESD problem. And @Jimbob54 and others might have been more cautious with ESD and their L30.

Last edited:

v5cvbb

Couple more revisions and the L30 should be a solid amp.

I look forward to the replacement that I may feel safe enough to use.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think we want to be handing out any transparency medals here.

Topping knew there was a problem with the voltage regulation back in November. And they snuck a fix in for that into the December production units without telling anyone. At least I could not find a mention of it in this thread.

The so-called transparency didn't happen until there were several amp failures with headphone damage. Until, because of social media complaints, they were forced to mention that they had already implemented a fix in order to minimize damage to the brand.

Hopefully, next time they will be more transparent. If Topping had said something back in November about the DC regulation, then someone might have remembered that a member had already reported in October multiple ESD problems with amp failure and a headphone death.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ne-amplifier-review.15226/page-80#post-546135

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-106#post-584342

There could have been this same discussion much earlier where people analyzed the amp and determined why there could be an ESD problem. And @Jimbob54 and others might have been more cautious with ESD and their L30.

True.

A better question actually is, how does a consumer know such items have adequate protections before they buy and use?

The ESD situation is not the same as accidental water damage, for example. That would be wholly a consumer problem.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Will the revisions change the measurements -- will I be getting the same amp?

The exact same amp but without ESD sensitivity and a good DC protection.
A small number of them will still have issues... this is the case with all devices sold in large numbers.

Upped

While I'm waiting on the replacement l30 amp is it a bad idea to use an rca male to 3.5mm female on the e30? want something that sounds better then my avr while I wait :confused:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That would totally depend on the used headphone. The reason is the relatively high output resistance of the E30 which is not designed to drive higher currents in low impedance loads. The output resistance may well be lower than that of most power amps/AVR's but is not always so.

Last edited:

yavormoskov

I just learned about the ESD issues and damaged headphones. My amp is purchased in September and still going very strong without any problems. My headphones are fine as well. The serial number starts with 2006. Do you think I should exchange it to a newer revision or no need to bother?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just learned about the ESD issues and damaged headphones. My amp is purchased in September and still going very strong without any problems. My headphones are fine as well. The serial number starts with 2006. Do you think I should exchange it to a newer revision or no need to bother?

You should. Now everything is fine. It may still be 10 years from now but there is no guarantee.

Upped

That would totally depend on the used headphone. The reason is the relatively high output resistance of the which is not designed to drive higher currents in low impedance loads. The output resistance may well be lower than that of most power amps/AVR's but is not always so.
So if I'm understanding what your saying correctly is that the e30 might have a high output resistance which is bad for low impedance headphones but fine for higher impedance ones? not very technical in my audio/electrical knowledge. Before I got my l30 I used the e30 for some of my other headphones like this and they seemed fine none of them were high impedance either also used my sony ear buds with it. I tried it with my dt 770 250 ohm seems fine listened for a few hours sounds much better then my avr less muddy and clear with nice clean low end.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the e30 might have a high output resistance

not might have .. it does.

How this all pans out depends on the impedance of the headphone. It might be fine, you might have a small bass boost, might not.
When it worked before it will work again.

Top Bottom