• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Noob question - Can you please advise if this situation can be avoided, or the possibility of an issue lessened, if we plug in the L30 adapter to a surge protector (which I do)?
This is the first case after selling multiple thousands. And no I have no idea what the cause is. That's exactly why I ask to send back to us instead of returning to Amazon.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see. So the difference in input impedance is just about volume level? Thanks!
If the impedance is consistent across frequencies, it is just a level change and maybe phase. I suppose electronics has a relatively constant impedance. Headphones are more critical because they are mechanical, and the impedance is not constant.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
If the impedance is consistent across frequencies, it is just a level change and maybe phase. I suppose electronics has a relatively constant impedance. Headphones are more critical because they are mechanical, and the impedance is not constant.
I looked at Amir's output impedance measurements for smsl SU 9 and see that the output impedance go increasingly wild starting from 3K Hz and up to 20K Hz. Would that cause differences in volume and/or phase when connected to 10k ohm vs 2.5k ohm input impedance of Atom vs L30?

Thanks!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I looked at Amir's output impedance measurements for smsl SU 9 and see that the output impedance go increasingly wild starting from 3K Hz and up to 20K Hz. Would that cause differences in volume and or phase when connected to 10k ohm vs 2.5k ohm input impedance of Atom vs LEO?

Thanks!
That's measurement artifacts.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
That's measurement artifacts.
Kind of off topic, but does topping offer amp+preamp with bass management capabilities?

Right now I am connecting my DAC to minidsp HD. I am thinking that maybe a preamp with simple crossover management from Topping should work better. Thanks!

raif71

Major Contributor
1603291319499.png

As mentioned yesterday, I would try out mojo connected to both Atom and L30. The mojo is in lineout mode ie by switching the on button and simultaneously pressing both volume up/down button. Immediately at 0db of L30 one can feel more power and volume does not go near max. The atom seems to benefit too from the 3V out of mojo. Anyway I switched the gain of Atom to high and L30 to +9db. Both volumes track equally to level matched. Atom at 12 o'clock and L30 slightly over 12 to give me sufficient listening level. Source is still Beethoven 5th by Carlos Kleiber DSD format. Both amps perform well and I enjoyed listening to this symphony, so far never feel bored even after multiple listening over the years :p

Now, using the mojo I have to say the Atom just slightly edge the L30 in my subjective preference. Somehow Atom has more energy delivering the Symphony. The L30 soundstage sounded slightly bigger imho which may have dissipate the energy that I felt with the Atom. Somehow I like the slightly closer soundstage of the Atom which felt more intimate. Anyway this is what I observe but to me both amps are good. YMMV. Again this is listening with Sundara.

Edit: That was ABing between both but after finishing the 5th symphony with the Atom and starting over again with the L30, all I can say is that I enjoy both amps. What nonsense is all these ABing... Bah... Humbug :D

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
View attachment 88904

As mentioned yesterday, I would try out mojo connected to both Atom and L30. The mojo is in lineout mode ie by switching the on button and simultaneously pressing both volume up/down button. Immediately at 0db of L30 one can feel more power and volume does not go near max. The atom seems to benefit too from the 3V out of mojo. Anyway I switched the gain of Atom to high and L30 to +9db. Both volumes track equally to level matched. Atom at 12 o'clock and L30 slightly over 12 to give me sufficient listening level. Source is still Beethoven 5th by Carlos Kleiber DSD format. Both amps perform well and I enjoyed listening to this symphony, so far never feel bored even after multiple listening over the years :p

Now, using the mojo I have to say the Atom just slightly edge the L30 in my subjective preference. Somehow Atom has more energy delivering the Symphony. The L30 soundstage sounded slightly bigger imho which may have dissipate the energy that I felt with the Atom. Somehow I like the slightly closer soundstage of the Atom which felt more intimate. Anyway this is what I observe but to me both amps are good. YMMV. Again this is listening with Sundara.

Edit: That was ABing between both but after finishing the 5th symphony with the Atom and starting over again with the L30, all I can say is that I enjoy both amps. What nonsense is all these ABing... Bah... Humbug :D
I don't think Atom works with 3V input in high gain.
Just checked on Atom spec sheet. The Atom takes 2.1Vrms max for high gain. More than that and you will get gain stage saturation/clipping.
L30 doesn't have this limitation. Not only L30 reaches higher voltage output overall, when you reduce volume it reduces the input signal so you don't get internal stage clipping. The gain is at the output stage. The design has so low distortion that you don't get any distortion in high gain which is not the case in any other amp I've seen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom