• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Vini darko

Major Contributor
What modification would that be ?

'detail' is in the 2kHz-8kHz range.
It is flat from below 10Hz to above 100kHz (within 0.1dB) so... below and above all headphones out there and certainly below and above the audible range. Even if you take that beyond extremes.

How would one go about getting much better detail ?
What would need to be modified to do that ?
I have some dumb suggestions :p
Remove the DC blocker caps from the input and bridge it.
Remove the volume pot and bridge it use dac for perfect volume control.
Find some 6800uf that will fit and replace 4500uf filter caps.
Get a +-15V 3A torriodal transformer and wire it with shielded cable.
If I was gonna mod an l30 these are the dumb things I would do.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is no technical reason for this amp to be lacking in detail.
When you experience a lack of detail you can be pretty certain it is not the amplifier's fault.
As I stated before: perceived 'detail' is in the 2kHz-8kHz range and there are no issues in any part of the frequency range well below to well above the audible range for the L30.

When you want more detail just use some EQ in 2kHz-8kHz range and dial it in. The L30 cannot change or affect that specific part of the audio bandwidth (low output resistance).

half_dog

EQ can be approached as a matter of balance. Removing some bass (100 to 200Hz) may bring some "detail" up as well. But doing anything on L30 to achieve it seems... not the best way.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EQ can be approached as a matter of balance. Removing some bass (100 to 200Hz) may bring some "detail" up as well. But doing anything on L30 to achieve it seems... not the best way.

I fear this all stems from a certain school of thought permeating audio forums that anything that comes out of a factory can be improved by tinkering at home. By anybody. Following instructions from anybody.

ASRaddict

On OSX I use SoundSource(trialware -> paid) with AU NBandEQ which is an equaliser that comes with the OS.
How to calculate the width parameter for the NBandEQ from the Q values provided by Amir/Oratory/AutoEQ/...

I assumed width = BW/fc = 1/Q - that seems to provide the equalizer that closely resembles the graphs from the source

Edit : here is the formula (and Oratory pre-calculates them)
N = log(1 + 1 / (2 × Q2) + sqr(((2 + 1 / (Q2))2) / 4 − 1)) / log(2)

I found this from the link http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26571

I fear this all stems from a certain school of thought permeating audio forums that anything that comes out of a factory can be improved by tinkering at home. By anybody. Following instructions from anybody.

I'm sure Calico is eager to try out his new hot air rework station.

Last edited by a moderator:

fredristair

Any opinions on the L30 being able to drive an LCD-2F (50 ohm Audeze planar) with EQ? I've heard anecdotal impressions that the L30 doesn't have enough juice in the tank for the Sundara, so that would mean these cannot fully drive the LCD-2F?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
LCD2-F = 105 dB/1V (as sensitive as a HD650) and its 70 ohm load is no issue for L30 (0.5W) = 120dB peak SPL.
So L30 has no issue driving the L30 as long as the input voltage of your L30 is high enough and you don't want to listen to 130dB peak levels it is fine.
People complaining about too little power simply are not having enough input voltage (gain).

The fact that the membrane can handle 5W continuous and 15W peak does not mean that power is needed to use it when you need to to go even beyond insane levels.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
How to calculate the width parameter for the NBandEQ from the Q values provided by Amir/Oratory/AutoEQ/...

I assumed width = BW/fc = 1/Q - that seems to provide the equalizer that closely resembles the graphs from the source

Edit : here is the formula (and Oratory pre-calculates them)
N = log(1 + 1 / (2 × Q2) + sqr(((2 + 1 / (Q2))2) / 4 − 1)) / log(2)

I found this from the link http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm
Doesn't the oratory PDF give you the B/W ? This is for my Sine https://www.dropbox.com/s/9obx02o9j8w3z9p/Audeze Sine (MSR7 earpads).pdf?dl=0
And this is my personal (bass-light) EQ for it in SoundSource:

《J》

Hello everyone, I'm new at this and I recently purchased a Topping L30 to drive my DT1990. The combination is excellent, however, I need to set the amp to high gain in order to reach the max volume :confused:. This is weird because I've seen people commenting how the L30 has enough power to drive the HD6XX even on medium gain with the wheel at 1 o'clock, yet this is happening to me. Shouldn't the L30 have enough power in medium gain to drive the DT1990 to loud levels? Is this behavior normal, or is it because I've paired it with a Topping D10s instead of something like the E30?

Just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my headphones. Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

shoto

Hello everyone, I'm new at this and I recently purchased a Topping L30 to drive my DT1990. The combination is excellent, however, I need to set the amp to high gain in order to reach the max volume :confused:. This is weird because I've seen people commenting how the L30 has enough power to drive the HD6XX even on medium gain with the wheel at 1 o'clock, yet this is happening to me. Shouldn't the L30 have enough power in medium gain to drive the DT1990 to loud levels? Is this behavior normal, or is it because I've paired it with a Topping D10s instead of something like the E30?

Just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my headphones. Any help is highly appreciated.
I have HD650 and D10S and even on low gain it is getting painfully loud going much past halfway volume to me. The E30 will have basically the same volume, look at the level measurement in the reviews. The DT1990 have more sensitivity than HD650, I would worry about the future or present condition of your ears.

Top Bottom