• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

NgtFlyer

I also just contacted Hi Fi college as well hopefully they reply. If they don't I did buy it in December and Amazon has extended returns until the 31st. I can just return it and buy another one and see what serial I get on that one. I am going to wait about 24h first for a response though. Are there any sellers that sell the new 2102 revision?

I contacted HiFi Collage through Amazon late Friday. I suspect it might be a day or two for them to get back to me as I imagine they are a small shop handling ongoing sales/shipments as well as communications with customers. My original unit still works and it is not earth grounded (TOSlink) so I'm not that concerned. I'll switch over when the new unit arrives.

nepnep

Just checked my amp is a 2008 which is August 2020 since I ordered back in December it doubt they have any new 2102.

nepnep

I contacted HiFi Collage through Amazon late Friday. I suspect it might be a day or two for them to get back to me as I imagine they are a small shop handling ongoing sales/shipments as well as communications with customers. My original unit still works and it is not earth grounded (TOSlink) so I'm not that concerned. I'll switch over when the new unit arrives.
If you haven't got contact yet probably going ahead to just return it. The extra cost from the msrp increase isn't that big of a deal compared to the time wasted of sending direct from us to china and back again.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Consider they get hundreds if not thousands (10k sold !) mails they have to answer and process.
There has been a weekend as well.

Calm down... I reckon Topping is doing their best to manufacture thousands again and will have to get info from sellers.
This is a HUGE undertaking.

Patience..

Robin L

Master Contributor
Consider they get hundreds if not thousands (10k sold !) mails they have to answer and process.
There has been a weekend as well.

Calm down... I reckon Topping is doing their best to manufacture thousands again and will have to get info from sellers.
This is a HUGE undertaking.

Patience..
But I want mine now!

R21d11039778723f1f3638eb494cc302e.jpg

half_dog

I don't know if here is the right thread to post it. Here are some pics displaying how I grounded the L30 case and its volpot.

About grounding the volpot, the paint around the volpot hole were removed with a screwdriver, but even doing it the resistance value measured at the back screws was around 2.4 ohm. It seems the front plate and its screws do not have a good contact with the body. Would be interesting to scrape the front plate is a I did with the back plate, but I have not a long enough hex driver to remove the inner screws.

Attachments

• 20210125_213057.jpg
    20210125_213057.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG-20210125-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20210125-WA0026.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG-20210125-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20210125-WA0027.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG-20210125-WA0028.jpg
    IMG-20210125-WA0028.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Just got a reply via e-mail from Hi Fi College.

R56914a40a63df9f6dc482cfc429ea02a.jpg

raif71

Major Contributor
My vendor was Hi Fi College. I ran into a big issue contacting Amazon. They were nice as pie, but as I wanted to arrange a replacement via the vendor that was working with Amazon, I wanted to contact them via the Amazon portal. That portal was not functioning. I did not want to return everything to Amazon for a credit card refund. I wanted to go through Hi Fi College. I'm going to hang fire for the moment, the Topping warranty is for a year. If I try later, things might clear up. I should note that it's very unlikely that I would experience ESD issues, the humidity around Olympia Washington is very low. However, Amazon really should get its act together. An hour and a half on the line with no resolution is not good business practice. I'm sure this isn't Claudette's fault, but it does seem like a long and pointless labyrinth to go through with no satisfaction.

One more thing. I know that the difference between the Schiit Magni 3 and the Topping L30 should be small, but I did notice the difference between the two when I replaced the Topping for the Schiit, the Magni 3 had noticeably more grunge in the upper partials, making masses strings have more "bite". In fact, the Topping unit has so little grunge I wonder if it's erasing sounds that I should be hearing. Contrawise, maybe I like a little distortion mixed in with music, being a child of the sixties and all that.

I got a 2nd hand Magni 3+ recently and initial impression was like you discovered. More "bite" than what I remembered with the L30 but then again all this is just personal preference. :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
I got a 2nd hand Magni 3+ recently and initial impression was like you discovered. More "bite" than what I remembered with the L30 but then again all this is just personal preference. :)
I'm going to check again. This seems to have a big impact on string sound, and I noticed the difference on Kleiber's VPO recording of Beethoven's 7th. Noticed something similar with the AKG K371's, having more string "bite" all by its lonesome, noticing there's significant distortion around 4-5Khz

NgtFlyer

Just got my reply from HiFi Collage, I forgot to give my address in my original message. Oops.
Sent, sounds like things are in process now.

nepnep

Just got my reply from HiFi Collage, I forgot to give my address in my original message. Oops.
Sent, sounds like things are in process now.
Did they give an idea of eta of when your rma would be complete and if it is the 2102 revision?

NgtFlyer

Did they give an idea of eta of when your rma would be complete and if it is the 2102 revision?

No ETA yet. According to @JohnYang1997 all units shipped are the fully fixed versions. So the serial will correspond to the month it was built. Also, it's not February yet, so no 2102s are being built yet. 2101s are what they are currently making.

nepnep

Trying to find where I can buy the new model. Probably going to just return my current one as a rma is going to be more of a pain.

kkeretic

Trying to find where I can buy the new model. Probably going to just return my current one as a rma is going to be more of a pain.

I was looking too, but seems it is too early. Online stores in the EU where I looked for don't have them. Perhaps it would be wisest/safest to wait for a couple of months for the mess to be put in order.

nepnep

No, they asked me for my address and phone number. I provided a photo of my unit's serial number sticker. I contacted through Amazon.
How did you exactly contact through Amazon I just emailed their support email which was [email protected]. Are they just going to send a new one for you and are they requiring a return before or after the new one arrives?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
All L30's sold new are fixed.
Dealers are not allowed to sell old stock and have been informed.
All L30's sold as of Jan 2021 are safe.

Everyone that still gets one that is 2011 or earlier can simply requist a new one.
It is that simple...

Top Bottom