• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

3125b

Major Contributor
I have not read any user reporting an incident.
Me neither. ESD shouldn't be an issue with every surface you can touch on the Atom being plastic.
Granted, in the swamps if northern Germany that would never affect me anyway :)
I have read about issues with the transformer housing cracking when dropped, however that seems to be limited to a certain batch, mine is not affected (yeah, of course I managed to drop it ...) and new units shouldn't be either.
But apart from that, I really haven't heard about any specific weaknesses or problems with the Atom.

fun

As a happy owner of E30/L30 (S//N: 2007xxx), I am watching this situation closely. If the issue is confirmed, my preferred solution is to exchange for newer one that fixes the issue. I'm less interested in getting a different amp, which won't stack as nicely with E30, plus very happy with the sound quality of L30.

half_dog

Some pages behind I reported mine L30 (SN: 2007XXXX) had an intermittent right channel. After openning the unit back plate a chip of aluminiun dropped from inside and the problem has stopped, but since last night it came back. If I tap it a few times the right channel goes back to normal but cut out again a while later. It seems a falty relay in this unit - am I saying something stupid?

half_dog

Not sure if opening the plate is okay? Unless you are one of those geeks .
I have some idea about electronics, but not as much as some guys around here and the backplate seems okay to be removed. Only 4 screws and nothing more. No glue either stickers... BTW thanks for the concern. I will keep it update.

Reactions: PSO

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Some pages behind I reported mine L30 (SN: 2007XXXX) had an intermittent right channel. After openning the unit back plate a chip of aluminiun dropped from inside and the problem has stopped, but since last night it came back. If I tap it a few times the right channel goes back to normal but cut out again a while later. It seems a falty relay in this unit - am I saying something stupid?

Can be:
faulty relay
faulty contact (headphone plug/socket) (rotate the plug to see if this helps)
onset of an issue
poor soldering or component
When you hear a loud 'tick' when it cuts out, switches back on I would suggest to stop using it.
Perhaps try to return it and exchange for the latest revision anyway.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Looking at the weather forecast for the next 10 days, the least amount of humidity we're going to have around Olympia is 63%. We don't get esd 'round these parts. My L30 doesn't rattle, so I really doubt anything's about to blow up.

On the other hand, I've been using the AKG K371 headphones, which don't seem to need any power. I can plug them straight into the headphone jacks in all of my devices, can't really tell the difference with or without amplification. I suspect I'm not going to be using the L30 for awhile anyway.

Last edited:

johanjudai

Hi, just heard the news about the L30.
Mine starts with 2007xx and I bought It in September via Ebay -> Aoshida-hifi. I use it since October almost every day with a Focal Clear and never got any issues whatsoever. Do you recommend I unplug it and wait for a statement for now ?
I can't return It anymore unfortunately.

Giangi71

Mine starts with 2007xx and I bought It in September via Ebay -> Aoshida-hifi. I use it since October almost every day with a Focal Clear and never got any issues whatsoever. Do you recommend I unplug it and wait for a statement for now ?
Yes

highpurityusbcable

We are all involved until 2011. And no 2012 in distribution now I suppose
It's just my unit works as perfect as it gets. Can't believe it could die any moment and kill me too.
Identical situation except I bought from this store via aliexpress. I'm using it as before because this statement won't give me a new amp.

half_dog

Can be:
faulty relay
faulty contact (headphone plug/socket) (rotate the plug to see if this helps)
onset of an issue
poor soldering or component
When you hear a loud 'tick' when it cuts out, switches back on I would suggest to stop using it.
Perhaps try to return it and exchange for the latest revision anyway.
"...rotate the plug to see if this helps..."
I have tried different cables, adapters, rotated them and it didn't make any difference :/
"When you hear a loud 'tick' when it cuts out, switches back on I would suggest to stop using it."
Not exactly a loud tick (at least with an Edifier H840 - the "disposable" hp I'm using for testing), but it seems something disconnecting from. I'll contact Aioshida again... Now it is running smooth for a hour so far.
(Thanks :) )

half_dog

It's just my unit works as perfect as it gets. Can't believe it could die any moment and kill me too.

Identical situation except I bought from this store via aliexpress. I'm using it as before because this statement won't give me a new amp.

Aioshida proposed me to send it back to them and they would send a new unit, but the shipping cost for me is almost the price of a new unit.

Top Bottom