• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

nxnje

The “can’t recommend strongly enough” rating in the first post of this thread really ought to be amended until the issue is resolved. There should be at least a warning for potential buyers.
I have to quote this.
There should be at least a disclaimer on what's happening so people can wait for Topping to make the necessary checks needed to get to the end of this.
Everyone is calm now, but we also have to think for people that are still on the market searching for the "almost perfect" budget amplifier.

Anyway, hope we'll have the answers we're searching for in this week, I'm really curious to know what was the problem now :D

Zensō

Major Contributor
The “can’t recommend strongly enough” rating in the first post of this thread really ought to be amended until the issue is resolved. There should be at least a warning for potential buyers.
I agree that it would be a service to the readers here to post a warning on the original review.

Kamarlo

E30 and L30 (batch 2010) stack with HD6XX is my first step to audio world and I have been happy with this combo. Reason why I did choose this stack was this review and discussions that I did read from here. Good measurements, power switch on the front, versatile gain settings, looks and price were important to me. I bought the stack 2 months ago and have been using it almost daily without any problems.

If this would only affect the L30 I would not be that concerned personally (warranty) but after realizing that headphones are at risk and most importantly my ears I have been a lot more concerned. Bought locally and return time has run out. Air here is dry at winter and I have been experiencing a lot of static electricity. I really hope that the cause for these problems is going to be solved by Topping, future units upgraded and old units in danger exchanged. These are just my thoughts and I have a small fear that my L30 can become a problem.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
From what I could surmise, Topping has not yet clearly established what actually caused this failure

That's correct. They cannot recreate this failure mode. When it is a bad OPA batch they never will either.
While the failure is annoying the actual problem was the DC protection not functioning.
That has been resolved in the latest revision so even when it becomes an amplifire it should not destroy headphones anymore.

I agree that on the first post it would be desirable to at least have a warning that up to a certain serial number (John mentioned that number) a few L30 have been found that have this, for the owner potentially serious fault, but that is up to Amir. He also warned folks about Schiit and other devices so cannot think of a reason not to.

Giangi71

That's correct. They cannot recreate this failure mode. When it is a bad OPA batch they never will either.
While the failure is annoying the actual problem was the DC protection not functioning.
That has been resolved in the latest revision so even when it becomes an amplifire it should not destroy headphones anymore.

I agree that on the first post it would be desirable to at least have a warning that up to a certain serial number (John mentioned that number) a few L30 have been found that have this, for the owner potentially serious fault, but that is up to Amir. He also warned folks about Schiit and other devices so cannot think of a reason not to.
Which serial numbers are affected? Thanks

Zensō

Major Contributor

Giangi71

Mmmm, I noticed that the AC/AC adaptor is slightly warm even if the device is off! Why???

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It's a transformer inside, so the primary coil is directly connected to mains. This is something normal. However, if it gets really hot without having a load connected, then ask Topping or simply replace it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Mmmm, I noticed that the AC/AC adaptor is slightly warm even if the device is off! Why???

This is normal. A transformer consumes power even when there is no load. That consumed power, even when it is low is converted into 'heat' (warming up).

Thalis

So all serial numbers starting with a number below 2012xxxx

ok so I have to be very careful not to have any static with mine then. I have no carpets and i am barefoot always and never had any static at home. Long time ago in the office yes.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

solderdude

Grand Contributor
ok so I have to be very careful not to have any static with mine then. I have no carpets and i am barefoot always and never had any static at home. Long time ago in the office yes.

The problem is that it is not 100% certain ESD is the only reason for the OPA to fry themselves. Could possibly be ESD could have another cause as well. It looks like it happens when one touches the device (switchin off and on included) that would point to possible ESD but may well be another reason. Unless someone can trigger this fault in lab conditions the reason is still shrouded in mystery.
One thing seems clear the headphones being fried is most likely solved in the new revision (improved/fixed output DC protection)

Thalis

The problem is that it is not 100% certain ESD is the only reason for the OPA to fry themselves. Could possibly be ESD could have another cause as well. It looks like it happens when one touches the device (switchin off and on included) that would point to possible ESD but may well be another reason. Unless someone can trigger this fault in lab conditions the reason is still shrouded in mystery.
One thing seems clear the headphones being fried is most likely solved in the new revision (improved/fixed output DC protection)

Ok... ESD has never entered my mind and I was more on monitoring the temperature since I keep it powered up 24/7 and its below the E30 instead of on top of it. Have touched it a million times to check the heat, placement etc etc and to wipe any fingerprints (OCD :facepalm:). So keeping fingers crossed its no concern in the equatorial/tropical climate then.

threni

Major Contributor
Interesting pics, including some basic reverse-engineering, worth reading.

Looks like it took out his camera too! Damn!

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting pics, including some basic reverse-engineering, worth reading.

In that link, they mention that the OPA has its labelling sanded off. Is that normal/expected for the L30? Could it be an indication of a counterfeit (either of the whole L30 or a counterfeit batch of OPA)?

Reactions: buz

liu

I'm sure that Topping is well-aware of this, and I'm confident that they will react appropriately in a few days/weeks time. Let's give them that time. :)
They won't. Do people remember how they deal with the DX3 Pro fiasco?

threni

Major Contributor
Top Bottom