• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@mundee

Here's the input sensitivity of the Edifiers: Line in1: 800 mV ± 50 mV Line in2: 600 mV ± 50 mV

I suggest you use the L30 on low gain and have the gain/volume higher on the Edifiers instead.

This is most likely the culprit. You may be overdriving the input circuit of the Edifier. Most likely the volpot of the Edifier is preceeded by an input circuit that may be clipping around 2V already.

Last edited:

unfit327

Hey all,
I have a schiit magni 3+/modi 3 stack currently. After seeing this review I now want the l30 not only for its amazing performance, but the fact that it has a pre amp switch so that I don't have to unplug my headphones to hear my speakers and a power switch on the front! Can I get any opinions on how it would pair with the Modi 3 besides aesthetics?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hey all,
I have a schiit magni 3+/modi 3 stack currently. After seeing this review I now want the l30 not only for its amazing performance, but the fact that it has a pre amp switch so that I don't have to unplug my headphones to hear my speakers and a power switch on the front! Can I get any opinions on how it would pair with the Modi 3 besides aesthetics?

technically Modi3 + Heresy L30 will work fine. (brainfart)

Last edited:

wasnotwasnotwas

I guess he meant that the existing setup is fine, as-is. I might be wrong, though :)

Who knows! Existing is magni 3 and modi 3, which also will work fine! But poster wanted the switchable preamp/ HP out on the L30.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Correct. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion of how the L30 would pair with the modi 3 acoustically and aesthetics aside.
I've got the Magni 3, the Topping L30 is cleaner sounding, but the audible difference is subtle. Don't know what the Modi 3 sounds like, the E30 I'm using has marginally better performance, but the difference might not be audible. The L30 is great, sound is slightly less congested, drum sounds have clear pitches, you get the switching you seek, might as well.

jazzaj

Hi all,

I just receive a brand old Sennheiser HD 540 (600 Ohms, 94 dB/v) that I enjoy with my sedentary hifi system in my living room.

For portable use, in my bedroom or office, I listen to it with an E1DA 9038S3/Hiby R3 transport, but because of HD540 extrem specs, I asking if it could be better to use a little amp like the L30.

My question is do I need a dac (E30 or something else) or my Hiby R3 (with jack output/2xRCA) is enough.

Here are the Hiby R3 ( ) specs :

Output Power | SNR | THD + Noise

Line out specifications (3.5mm headphone out jack) : 1.1Vrms | -116db | 0.005%

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Electrical newbie question :
As some of you know, I have 2 E30 + 2 L30.
Right now, I use the on/off switches to turn both L30 on/off one by one (the E30 turn automatically on/idle depending on the USB status).
Would it be just as good to leave the on/off switches permanently "on", and use a multiple socket with a single switch to turn the 4 units on/off ?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Electrical newbie question :
As some of you know, I have 2 E30 + 2 L30.
Right now, I use the on/off switches to turn both L30 on/off one by one (the E30 turn automatically on/idle depending on the USB status).
Would it be just as good to leave the on/off switches permanently "on", and use a multiple socket with a single switch to turn the 4 units on/off ?
Might as well. It will save some electricity. Though I'd still use the switches as well but I'm precious with my L30

Jose Hidalgo

Might as well. It will save some electricity. Though I'd still use the switches as well but I'm precious with my L30
I would do it for two reasons : (1) ease of use (one big switch instead of two tiny ones), and (2) preserving the delicate on/off switches of the L30s. They are really tiny, could be fragile in the long run (I don't know), and sometimes I can't stop them half-way in HPA mode, so they go all the way to PRE. That's annoying.

I'd just like to be 100% sure that leaving the switches permanently in HPA mode and putting all 4 units on a master switch won't cause any problems. :)

half_dog

I would do it for two reasons : (1) ease of use (one big switch instead of two tiny ones), and (2) preserving the delicate on/off switches of the L30s. They are really tiny, could be fragile in the long run (I don't know), and sometimes I can't stop them half-way in HPA mode, so they go all the way to PRE. That's annoying.

I'd just like to be 100% sure that leaving the switches permanently in HPA mode and putting all 4 units on a master switch won't cause any problems. :)

Although when the switch is off, the power supply would be on "stand by" mode to control the relays on/off circuit. If there is a switch offboard the L30's circuit it may voids the the relays to work properly.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi all,

I just receive a brand old Sennheiser HD 540 (600 Ohms, 94 dB/v) that I enjoy with my sedentary hifi system in my living room.

For portable use, in my bedroom or office, I listen to it with an E1DA 9038S3/Hiby R3 transport, but because of HD540 extrem specs, I asking if it could be better to use a little amp like the L30.

My question is do I need a dac (E30 or something else) or my Hiby R3 (with jack output/2xRCA) is enough.

Here are the Hiby R3 ( ) specs :

Output Power | SNR | THD + Noise

Line out specifications (3.5mm headphone out jack) : 1.1Vrms | -116db | 0.005%

The L30 on hi gain (+9dB = 2.8x gain) will only produce 3V = 16mW = 100dB peak levels = about 80dB to 90dB average level (depending on the recording).
It will basically go twice as loud as without the amp.

The Heresy will get you 6dB louder than the L30 (6V = 64mW). You could wait till Topping releases the amp specifically designed for driving high imp. headphones. It will have more gain.

Jose Hidalgo

Although when the switch is off, the power supply would be on "stand by" mode to control the relays on/off circuit. If there is a switch offboard the L30's circuit it may voids the the relays to work properly.
That's exactly what I thought right from the start, and that's why I haven't done it yet.
Hopefully somebody can confirm this.

Rock Rabbit

The L30 on hi gain (+9dB = 2.8x gain) will only produce 3V = 16mW = 100dB peak levels = about 80dB to 90dB average level (depending on the recording).
It will basically go twice as loud as without the amp.

The Heresy will get you 6dB louder than the L30 (6V = 64mW). You could wait till Topping releases the amp specifically designed for driving high imp. headphones. It will have more gain.
From R3 specs it has a balanced 2.5 mm rated 112 mW @ 32 ohm/ch or 1.98 Vrms ..it can get 1.89 V out...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, but line out will be half that and you would need a balanced cable.
The difference between balanced out R3 and L30 (SE) would be merely 3.5dB and not worth the trouble though.

wrigglycheese

Question - sorry if this is stupid or obvious to most here..

When plugging in my headphones or unplugging from the L30 - do I need to power it down, or turn the volume down etc? Or can I just pull them out/plug them in etc?

Cheers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Question - sorry if this is stupid or obvious to most here..

When plugging in my headphones or unplugging from the L30 - do I need to power it down, or turn the volume down etc? Or can I just pull them out/plug them in etc?

Cheers.
It's good practice not to plug unplug with music playing. And turning volume down before plugging new headphones is also good idea. But it's not really needed here, although that's still what I do in day to day basis. Just do what you are comfortable with. It should be fine.

raif71

Major Contributor
It's good practice not to plug unplug with music playing. And turning volume down before plugging new headphones is also good idea. But it's not really needed here, although that's still what I do in day to day basis. Just do what you are comfortable with. It should be fine.
This is what I do but only when I was ABing L30 and atom that I plug/unplug while music was playing... Sigh, hopefully never again as these gears are precioussss :)

Top Bottom