• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MSTARK

If you're in the U.S., Apos Audio starts shipping the L30 tomorrow.
Good news. Those shipments come directly from China right? Last time I've dealt with them they upgraded my shipping to the fastest option (DHL) whatever that means. All I know is that I'm getting something from them tomorrow and it took less then a week to get here from China.

dpippel

Good news. Those shipments come directly from China right? Last time I've dealt with them they upgraded my shipping to the fastest option (DHL) whatever that means. All I know I'm getting something from them tomorrow and it took less then a week to get here from China.

Yes, directly from China via DHL Express. I just ordered a D10s from them this past Saturday, and it was delivered on MONDAY. I had a similar experience with the E30 and A90 I bought from them. Very fast shipping.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why do you think I'm getting L30?

That was my question to you here.

My next question based on your reply there is whether or not you happen to know if the line-out isn't simply the headphone out from the amp or is it a separate circuit that is routed through a tube (buffer) not including the output transformer. The output transformer is the limiting factor in these kind of tube amps (combined with its load and depending on feedback loops)

MSTARK

Yes, directly from China via DHL Express. I just ordered a D10s from them this past Saturday, and it was delivered on MONDAY. I had a similar experience with the E30 and A90 I bought from them. Very fast shipping.
Good service. I like it. Bought Aeons from them as well. No issues.

MSTARK

That was my question to you here.

My next question based on your reply there is whether or not you happen to know if the line-out isn't simply the headphone out from the amp or is it a separate circuit that is routed through a tube (buffer) not including the output transformer. The output transformer is the limiting factor in these kind of tube amps (combined with its load and depending on feedback loops)
No, it is not. It's a functional linestage and can be used as such. From what I gathered, signal into rca, then dact attenuator, then 6sn7
tubes and output tranies. When switched to linestage, headphone outs are muted (taken out of the circuit) and amp is a functional linestage. Not sure if that helps....

One of the reasons why I bought it. It's a back up linestage for my main stereo rig. It isn't better then my current preamp but it's not bad.

MSTARK

PS. I'm pretty sure that Denis (designer) is using Dragon as a preamp in setup with his tube monoblocks. So I think it is a true linestage if used as such.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
First off, huge respect for your designs, you seem to be on top of the game! I live in Germany and I have read about Topping not providing EU power supplies that would fit our region. Is there anything I can do, or do you recommend buying a different amp? I really don't want reduced perfomance with an aftermarket adapter/supply :(
I don't think that's accurate.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No, it is not. It's a functional linestage and can be used as such. From what I gathered, signal into rca, then dact attenuator, then 6sn7
tubes and output tranies. When switched to linestage, headphone outs are muted (taken out of the circuit) and amp is a functional linestage. Not sure if that helps....

One of the reasons why I bought it. It's a back up linestage for my main stereo rig. It isn't better then my current preamp but it's not bad.

Would need to see measurements. My gut tells me the line-out is simply the attenuated headphone out. The vast majority of headphone/pre-amps works that way.

audiojoe

I don't think that's accurate.
Thank you for the reply! So you mean they do provide EU power supplies if they see somone ordered from Germany? I wanted to order from either Amazon Germany, which is handled by Shenzhen audio, or directly from the Shenzhen audio website, since they seem to be an authorized seller. I just read 2 reviews on Amazon Germany about them not sending the fitting power supplies. Maybe they were fake reviews, or rare accidents made by Shenzhen audio?

escalibur

Thank you for the reply! So you mean they do provide EU power supplies if they see somone ordered from Germany? I wanted to order from either Amazon Germany, which is handled by Shenzhen audio, or directly from the Shenzhen audio website, since they seem to be an authorized seller. I just read 2 reviews on Amazon Germany about them not sending the fitting power supplies. Maybe they were fake reviews, or rare accidents made by Shenzhen audio?
I've asked them on chat and here is what they answered:

1596175797357.png

Though it's good to mention it during the order in case they aren't sure which one to pick. :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's probably they sent the wrong one? I'm not sure.

MSTARK

Would need to see measurements. My gut tells me the line-out is simply the attenuated headphone out. The vast majority of headphone/pre-amps works that way.

It’s possible. From what I understood signal path is exactly the same. Design is direct coupled without and caps or resistors in the signal path. So I am not sure if he included additional output stage for preamp function or not. I could look into it and shot him an email to find out.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Design is direct coupled without and caps or resistors in the signal path.

This is all highly unlikely. Seems like marketting talk. When the potmeter would only be buffered there will be stopper resistors and at least 1 capacitor in the path. When the line-out is amplified (using a tube) there will sure be resistors and coupling caps in there. Otherwise there will be a DC voltage on the line output.
The only way that the line out can be coupled directly is if it is NOT run through a tube. The output resistance would be varying (passive pre-amp) and can only attenuate. In that case it is pointless to put these in series as there will be no tube goodness.

Best to start a new thread for this, it doesn't belong in the L30 thread.

MSTARK

This is all highly unlikely. Seems like marketting talk. When the potmeter would only be buffered there will be stopper resistors and at least 1 capacitor in the path. When the line-out is amplified (using a tube) there will sure be resistors and coupling caps in there. Otherwise there will be a DC voltage on the line output.
The only way that the line out can be coupled directly is if it is NOT run through a tube. The output resistance would be varying (passive pre-amp) and can only attenuate. In that case it is pointless to put these in series as there will be no tube goodness.

Best to start a new thread for this, it doesn't belong in the L30 thread.

No problem.

Daniel0

I just ordered the E30+L30 combo and I have some questions regarding volume controls.
You can control the volume in the DAC, the Headphone amp and you have 3 different gain settings.
I'm using 60 ohm dynamic driver Headphones and i wonder how i should control the volume for the best possible audio quality?

Top Bottom