• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 319 83.9%

• Total voters

wacomme

Is there any advantage to spending $150 for the E70 over the SMSL DO100? My DO100 died and I’m wondering if the E70 has any real advantages over the SMSL? It would match my L70, but I don’t care about that aesthetic piece.
Is there a higher gain (volume) to be had with the E70 compared to the DO100 when paired balanced with the L70 amp?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Velvet is AKM's marketing to make consumers think products powered with their chips/solutions will sound more velvety/"analogue". No science to it. But people are gullible so I'm sure it works out for them..

Woah, audio vendors pandering to the "infinite veils lifted on every new $$$ gear" subset of their customer base despite the facts otherwise?

What a surprise!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there any downside to using 5V vs. 4V?
It's possible your Amp's input will be overloaded with 5V. This is different for each Amp.

Edit: The L70's input won't be overloaded with 5V.

wacomme

It's possible your Amp's input will be overloaded with 5V. This is different for each Amp.
Since I have the Topping L70 amp, I presume overloading with 5V won't be a problem. Is that a correct assumption?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Since I have the Topping L70 amp, I presume overloading with 5V won't be a problem. Is that a correct assumption?
Yes. It'd be pretty stupid for Topping to make their E70 DAC incompatible with the L70 Amp.

wacomme

Yes. It'd be pretty stupid for Topping to make their E70 DAC incompatible with the L70 Amp.
Is there any other downside to using 5V with the E70 dac? Is there any advantage to using the 5V setting other than increased volume?

Bogda

Did anyone try connecting poweramp to the XLR and subwoofer to the RCA at the same time on Topping E70?
Any hiccups?

Last edited:

wacomme

The E70 can be turned on from standby when there is an input signal - seems like a nice feature. If I pair the Trigger 12V output of the E70 to the Trigger input on the L70, can the L70 turn on/off if I set the E70 settings to turn on from standby based on the input signal? The E70 settings has the option to choose either on with input signal or on with tigger input. Thus, if I choose the E70 setting to turn with an input signal, will its trigger out work to turn on the L70 in accordance with the E70 input setting?

Adaboy4z

The E70 can be turned on from standby when there is an input signal - seems like a nice feature. If I pair the Trigger 12V output of the E70 to the Trigger input on the L70, can the L70 turn on/off if I set the E70 settings to turn on from standby based on the input signal? The E70 settings has the option to choose either on with input signal or on with tigger input. Thus, if I choose the E70 setting to turn with an input signal, will its trigger out work to turn on the L70 in accordance with the E70 input setting?
I use the L70 to turn on the E70 as it my headphone setup

wacomme

I use the L70 to turn on the E70 as it my headphone setup
I'm looking for the opposite - for the E70 to turn on/off the L70 based on the auto on/off function of the E70 when it senses an input.

Adaboy4z

I'm looking for the opposite - for the E70 to turn on/off the L70 based on the auto on/off function of the E70 when it senses an input.
It will work both ways I've tried it

krappo

Received my E70 today and looks and feels great :)
Using optical in and XLR out to my Audioengines A5+ and every time the unit switches on from standby a loud pop is heard,
ditched the XLR's and went RCA and no more pops. :)

mycose

My E70 just arrived today and damn! Topping keeps acing it. Everything is absolutely superb. Under Linux, I'm even able to select a codec from the myriad of supported codecs: SBC, aptX, aptX HD, aptX-LL, LDAC, etc.

Surprisingly, when using LDAC + forced HQ mode (990 kbps) there's no stutter, or otherwise unwanted audio lags. I've experienced this in the past with cheaper BT receivers, TWS earphones, but not with this DAC. So far so good.

Last edited:

TheWalkman

The E70 arrived today and I hooked it up to my Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (Purifi) amp utilizing the 12V trigger. Sourcing from a Pi Zero 2W Volumio streamer and a Sangean HDT-20. I’m also streaming material via AirPlay. It’s driving Elac UF-5 speakers.

Dang, this is one sweet sounding system. I could not be happier. Pinch me!

Last edited:

krappo

Setup is this,
Using optical in from win 11 computer and XLR out to my Audioengines A5+.
But on computer start up loud pop coming from speakers, very annoying but then change the xlr to rca cable out and no more popping.
anyone have any ideas.
Many Thanks

MadMaxx

Received my E70 today and looks and feels great :)
Using optical in and XLR out to my Audioengines A5+ and every time the unit switches on from standby a loud pop is heard,
ditched the XLR's and went RCA and no more pops. :)
Setup is this,
Using optical in from win 11 computer and XLR out to my Audioengines A5+.
But on computer start up loud pop coming from speakers, very annoying but then change the xlr to rca cable out and no more popping.
anyone have any ideas.
Many Thanks
I run USB from my PC to E70V, then XLR to my A7V speakers. No popping sounds at all. Give it a try. :)

Last edited:

krappo

I run USB from my PC to E70V, then XLR to my A7V speakers. No popping sounds at all. Give it a try. :)
Ive tried that but still persists. It does not seem to matter what input, only when i use xlrs for output, my previous 2 dacs were hooked up with the same xlr cable but no pops, Very odd :(

MadMaxx

Ive tried that but still persists. It does not seem to matter what input, only when i use xlrs for output, my previous 2 dacs were hooked up with the same xlr cable but no pops, Very odd :(
Very odd, indeed. I hate that popping sound. It always makes me think something is going to blow or break. Did you buy it from Apos Audio? They're great with returns and replacements.

Top Bottom