• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 to headphones

facboy

While I'm waiting for the L30 to come out, can I connect the Topping E30 RCA out to my headphones (Grado SR60) or is this a bad idea? I can live with it sounding suboptimal (up to a point), but I don't want to break anything.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Difficult to say as there are no line-out resistance specifications.
That could be anywhere between a few Ohm and 100 Ohm or even more.
Let's just say that most likely the L30 is not designed to drive a 32 Ohm load but rather something around at least 5000 Ohm.
Not recommended.

dunkuk

Yuo can probably buy a cheap headphone amp on ebay or aliexpress that will work ok until you get something better. There are things like the "Classic 47" for about £10, not sure of the quality but it will be better than trying to use a rca output.

dunkuk

You could also look at the ready built headphone amps sold for mobile use, the ones that amplify a mobile phone. Some of those are pretty good.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
F

facboy

I'm in the UK, would be quite expensive to send I'm afraid. I've been keeping an eye on other things but I really don't want to go much over £20-25 as once I get into the £40-50 range I feel I might as well spend up to get an Atom instead.

dunkuk

Just had a look to see whats out there,

DIY Kit. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/47-Amp-D...639676?hash=item1a8365d8fc:g:NGkAAOSwlYVdaX9T

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiio-A3-...317174&hash=item2892dd77e6:g:ZHkAAOSwogZepZrB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massdrop...642688?hash=item2892dce800:g:MHwAAOSwRh9epY63

A Chinese amp on Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I'm in the middle of getting some parts to make a DIY headphone amp, but if I was to buy one I'd probably go straight to the £100 ones as that seems to be the price at which the decent quality ones start. I'd probably look at the Topping Headphone amp or the Atom. I think its better just to buy something decent to start with otherwise you probably buy a cheaper one as well as a more expensive one in the end.

I think in the mid-price range up to £100 the portable ones are probably the best bet, ones from Fiio for example.

Also what do you drive your speakers with? Do you not have an amp for that? A lot of Hi-Fi amps have got decent headphone ampls in and are reasonably cheap 2nd hand.

OP
F

facboy

ah well i'm waiting for the Topping L30 to come out as that seems to pair with the E30. i have a pair of fairly rubbish active monitors at the moment, this is all just connected to my PC. they have a headphone out but when you plug the headphones it it bypasses the amp, and it makes the speakers pick up ground hum. so i just use a switch to drive the headphones directly.

you've reached the same conclusion as i have, i don't have the time (or the equipment) to do a simple DIY one, and it doesn't make sense to spend more than about £20 on something that will inevitably be replaced :).

hwy61

...maybe daft but ......would it be possible to (with a stereo adapter cord) send signal from the two R+L analog outs to mic input of laptop to access the headphones?......duh!...those outs are analog aren't they?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why would you want to do that ?
The mic input may be a bad idea but you can use the line-input.
Headphone output from a laptop usually isn't a high quality output though.

hwy61

pardon my ignorance on how to set up the e30....if i purchase this, do i need other hardware to listen to headphones, and if so preferably hardware that wouldn't "color" the sound and is inexpensive. ......also can this somehow be plugged into a laptop to access audio files like my dragonfly usb?

hwy61

oh! and my laptop doesn't have a line input only mic in and headphone out

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You need an amplifier to go with it or sell it and buya DAC with a headphone output.
You could wait a few months and buy the accompanying amp, the L30.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
pardon my ignorance on how to set up the e30....if i purchase this, do i need other hardware to listen to headphones, and if so preferably hardware that wouldn't "color" the sound and is inexpensive. ......also can this somehow be plugged into a laptop to access audio files like my dragonfly usb?

On the connecting to laptop, absolutely yes. It will probably come with the right cable in the box. Should be plug and play, just select it as the output in sound settings /your player of choice. How else were you going to get digital signal into it?

hwy61

the cable it comes with, would that be the usb?.... the only input is a mic input on this laptop ....(all i see is two R+L analog outs) the others look to be digital inputs on the e30; my problem is i don't have a clue on how to connect this to a laptop and to access audio files to play thru headphones.

so far 1 vote saying it's possible another, not so much ("need an amplifier") ........

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the cable it comes with, would that be the usb?.... the only input is a mic input on this laptop ....(all i see is two R+L analog outs) the others look to be digital inputs on the e30; my problem is i don't have a clue on how to connect this to a laptop and to access audio files to play thru headphones.

so far 1 vote saying it's possible another, not so much ("need an amplifier") ........
Your laptop. Does it have the standard letterbox shaped holes for the standard USB plug? If so, plug the cable in the box with the DAC into it. The other end will be a square shaped connector. Plug that into matching shape on back of e30.

Why are you obsessed with the inputs on your pc?
USB_Connector.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your laptop. Does it have the standard letterbox shaped holes for the standard USB plug? If so, plug the cable in the box with the DAC into it. The other end will be a square shaped connector. Plug that into matching shape on back of e30.

Why are you obsessed with the inputs on your pc?View attachment 65101
Please tell me you aren't trying to use the DAC to do the job of your existing chip on the pc to then use the pc speakers or headphone out?

hwy61

yes it has yr standard usb input........obsesessed because i want to access files from my laptop ...... the square-shaped connector, that have to be the optical or usb (they look squarish to me)............and by the way, thanks for helping me trying to solve this dilemma

hwy61

just want to hear different types of audio files flac wav dsd sacd's cd's etc. thru this dac to my headphones......that's the point of having a dac playing audio files

Top Bottom