• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

ShinMolina

These are your words too
Those were sarcastic words, read the whole messages and that part of the thread to understand the context completely.

proud

ShinMolina
My English is not that strong for sarcasm. But I also work with electronics and I know that this problem is not worth a damn.
Half an hour of programmer's work

ShinMolina

ShinMolina
My English is not that strong for sarcasm. But I also work with electronics and I know that this problem is not worth a damn.
Half an hour of programmer's work
I also work as an electronic engineer. It's not that I say that it shouldn't be done, but DSD users represent a very small portion of the total ones and the initial proposal from DSD was to grow from 44.1 kHz audio.

After @JohnYang1997 said it's not an issue and explained why it's not supported that should suffice.
Upsampling does nothing good. When something can be supported it doesn't mean it needs to be supported.

Last edited:

proud

and the initial proposal from DSD was to grow from 44.1 kHz audio.
All right, I agree, but I have a lot of music in multiples of 48 kHz!
I made my choice and now use software digital filters and SD modulators.
If Topping is unable to fix such elementary glitches, and their technical expert starts teaching me how to listen to music ..... No comment

ShinMolina

All right, I agree, but I have a lot of music in multiples of 48 kHz!
I made my choice and now use software digital filters and SD modulators.
If Topping is unable to fix such elementary glitches, and their technical expert starts teaching me how to listen to music ..... No comment
If that is what you like then their technical expert has made it clear that they are not going to do anything about it.

You need to look for another device or company that is able to satisfy your needs. In my opinion "upsampling" from PCM to DSD offers no benefits, but that is up to each of us.

Moosi

I don't get it. I am upscaling everything including 48/96khz with Roon to native DSD256. Never had a problem. Done with two different E30 versions. What am I missing here?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I don't get it. I am upscaling everything including 48/96khz with Roon to native DSD256. Never had a problem. Done with two different E30 versions. What am I missing here?
I would assume you upsample to actual DSD256 that's 44.1khz based.
There's no 48khz based DSD out there or even calling it DSD wouldn't be correct in the first place.

Last edited:

proud

....or even calling it DSD wouldn't be correct in the first place.
Are you really a technical expert? ... :facepalm:
ak.PNG

proud

Roon makes the conversion PCM48 to DSD with a change in the base frequency from 48 to 44.1kHz. This is not very good for sound, especially for spatial information. HQPlayer4 does it right and great, but there must be DAC support.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How old were you when this standard appeared? Are you suggesting that I live in that time?
Or you can refer me to a published DSD music that's 48khz based. Then I will support it.

It's the exactly the attitude of everyone that ask for 48khz based dsd to be supported drove me away from supporting it. Like you said 30 minute work. Make it work yourself.

proud

Or you can refer me to a published DSD music that's 48khz based. Then I will support it.

It's the exactly the attitude of everyone that ask for 48khz based dsd to be supported drove me away from supporting it. Like you said 30 minute work. Make it work yourself.
You look like a moody child now...
The Akashi Kasei engineers were great and were looking to the future. And I will probably buy a DIY board with AK4493 and make custom firmware for the controller. I don't even need a PСM path in a microcircuit, only a bypass on SCF filter.

And Topping successful sales... Bye stubborn..

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You look like a moody child now...
The Akashi Kasei engineers were great and were looking to the future. And I will probably buy a DIY board with AK4493 and make custom firmware for the controller. I don't even need a PСM path in a microcircuit, only a bypass on SCF filter.

And Topping successful sales... Bye stubborn..
Bye.

Moosi

Does it make a difference to the 48khz problem if I upscale to DSD in Roon using "DoP" instead of "native"? I am a firm believer that the upscale to DSD does have certain benefits over PCM, merely sounding less "harsh" in the highs and giving the overall tone a little more plasticity. It's like an anti-aliasing filter for your ears basically.

proud

Does it make a difference to the 48khz problem if I upscale to DSD in Roon using "DoP" instead of "native"? I am a firm believer that the upscale to DSD does have certain benefits over PCM, merely sounding less "harsh" in the highs and giving the overall tone a little more plasticity. It's like an anti-aliasing filter for your ears basically.
I will also add that this improves the sound space, the near and back fields, and the localization of the instruments.
No matter DOP or Native, the conversion of 48 to 44.1kHz spoils the sound.
Of course, to hear this, it is important to have high-level audio components.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course, to hear this, it is important to have high-level audio components.
Of course one can not underestimate the importance of "revealing" gear.
Ones gear is simply not "revealing" enough when one doesn't hear a difference.. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Robin L

Master Contributor
I hope this is a more rational question. Not that it really bothers me, but I wonder why my E30 always displays 48khz as the sample rate when hooked up to my Acer Aspire 5 laptop. I've got my Apple Lossless files, ripped from CDs, that I play through the E30, also play Amazon music and a lot of YouTube. I am using the APO eq all the time for the Drop 6XX. Not that I'm complaining about the sound [and CDs played on my Sony Blu-Ray display 44.1 and sound the same as the rips], but I figure some sort of re-sampling is going on.

Top Bottom