• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

DCDK

Is it possible to use several Topping E30 DACs in parallel (through S/PDIF) or would they get out of sync? I thought about getting a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 and attach 3x E30 for a 3-way stereo loudspeaker system.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Is it possible to use several Topping E30 DACs in parallel (through S/PDIF) or would they get out of sync? I thought about getting a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 and attach 3x E30 for a 3-way stereo loudspeaker system.
I am thinking about doing something similar. But I thought nanodigi has no crossover capability....Am I mistaken?

threni

Major Contributor
3. in preamp mode, does the E30 display show volume dB level only during playback? or does it momentarily indicate sampling rate changes when it happens, then revert to volume dB level afterwards?

It displays the bitrate for a second or so upon a bitrate change, then reverts to displaying volume.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I am thinking about doing something similar. But I thought nanodigi has no crossover capability....Am I mistaken?
As I understand it the outputs of the nanodigi share the same clock, so the E30s should stay in sync. Using ithe nanodigi as a crossover shouldn't be a problem.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
As I understand it the outputs of the nanodigi share the same clock, so the E30s should stay in sync. Using ithe nanodigi as a crossover shouldn't be a problem.
So I guess using two different DAC (one from gustard and one from Topping) should be fine? Thanks!

DCDK

Has anyone tried to control several E30 units with the same remote / at the same time?

I don't want to use the volume control of the nanoDIGI to not severely weaken the signal before the DACs. An other option of course would be a (passive) pre-amp after the DACs but I would like to avoid it if not necessary.

I'm currently using Birger Maaß's Biino mk2 in stereo, which is great, and should also be able to handle 6 channels, but it seems that it's currently not available.

Last edited:

Cyfrox

Finally received the E30 after 3 weeks of waiting. Luckily followed this thread as the last unit from the seller is old unit with reversed polarity issue. The latest one received is with s/n starting with 2103.

Before this I was using RPi LMS/Squeezelite with FiiO Q1 Mark I as Streamer + DAC combination.
I was also using the Shanling Q1 as DAP.

I am mainly using Q1 as USB transport to the E30 as pure DAC now. The sound quality of the E30 is very much superior than both Shanling Q1 and FiiO Q1.

The only problem I have now is playing DSD files. I will get a pop sound every time I Play/Pause any track. Tried using DSD64/128/512 files all same.

hawk01

Finally received the E30 after 3 weeks of waiting. Luckily followed this thread as the last unit from the seller is old unit with reversed polarity issue. The latest one received is with s/n starting with 2103.

Before this I was using RPi LMS/Squeezelite with FiiO Q1 Mark I as Streamer + DAC combination.
I was also using the Shanling Q1 as DAP.

I am mainly using Q1 as USB transport to the E30 as pure DAC now. The sound quality of the E30 is very much superior than both Shanling Q1 and FiiO Q1.

The only problem I have now is playing DSD files. I will get a pop sound every time I Play/Pause any track. Tried using DSD64/128/512 files all same.
welcome to the mysterious popping sound club when playing DSD files on topping DAC! i have a topping D10S with the same issue popping between DSD tracks during playback. but unlike you there is no popping when i skip or pause tracks. the odd thing for me is that it only happens on select DSD files, most others its fine. i might blame the suspected file is broken but it does not pop during playback in my other system with an SMSL Sanskrit DAC. i personally find it such a big PITA to playback DSD files. fortunately all were just given to me for free and most others i have are FLAC. goodluck on solving the popping noise as i have exhausted all the tweaks in fixing this.

Cyfrox

welcome to the mysterious popping sound club when playing DSD files on topping DAC! i have a topping D10S with the same issue popping between DSD tracks during playback. but unlike you there is no popping when i skip or pause tracks. the odd thing for me is that it only happens on select DSD files, most others its fine. i might blame the suspected file is broken but it does not pop during playback in my other system with an SMSL Sanskrit DAC. i personally find it such a big PITA to playback DSD files. fortunately all were just given to me for free and most others i have are FLAC. goodluck on solving the popping noise as i have exhausted all the tweaks in fixing this.

Strange enough the popping is only sounding loudly on the Shanling Q1. I tried same file on the Raspberry pi LMS to E30 and I don’t experience the same pop when I change track or play/pause. But there are still soft pops during beginning of playbacks though.
I’ll do more extensive tests later.

megapleb

I am using an E30 between my TV and a pair of active speakers (JBL 306P Mk II). Before getting the E30, I had a DAC without volume control (FiiO D03K), so had been using a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for volume control. Having got the E30, I took the Modi out of the chain. The sound is worse now to my ear than it was with the FiiO and the Modi. I can't work out why that would be the case. The active speakers don't need to draw on power from the Modi (I'm running the E30 around -30 to -40 most of the time), so while I think it might colour the sound a little, it should be very minor?

Is there any technical reason why the sound would be better with the Modi in the chain with the D03K?

Toku

Major Contributor
I am using an E30 between my TV and a pair of active speakers (JBL 306P Mk II). Before getting the E30, I had a DAC without volume control (FiiO D03K), so had been using a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for volume control. Having got the E30, I took the Modi out of the chain. The sound is worse now to my ear than it was with the FiiO and the Modi. I can't work out why that would be the case. The active speakers don't need to draw on power from the Modi (I'm running the E30 around -30 to -40 most of the time), so while I think it might colour the sound a little, it should be very minor?

Is there any technical reason why the sound would be better with the Modi in the chain with the D03K?
It is better to connect the output of the E30 directly to the JBL 306P Mk II without connecting it to the Schiit Modi 2 Uber. In that case, the volume can be adjusted with the E30 remote control.

megapleb

It is better to connect the output of the E30 directly to the JBL 306P Mk II without connecting it to the Schiit Modi 2 Uber. In that case, the volume can be adjusted with the E30 remote control.

You understand that's exactly what I did?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

Try turning down the volume of your speakers and get volume of e30 between -10 to 0 and see if it sounds better.

Moosi

that's exactly what I did?
What serial number does your E30 start with? If it starts with 21XX, there are rumors that they changed the coaxial/Toslink receiver-chip from AKM with a cheaper version from ST-Systems due to supply difficulties on AKM side. They still advertise them with the AKM receiver-chips though, which is actually not acceptable from a western point of corporate conduct.

However, the E30 should still sound somewhat good. If your active speakers have a volume knob, I would turn the E30 to DAC-mode with volume fixed to max. and adjust the volume via the speakers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What serial number does your E30 start with? If it starts with 21XX, there are rumors that they changed the coaxial/Toslink receiver-chip from AKM with a cheaper version from ST-Systems due to supply difficulties on AKM side. They still advertise them with the AKM receiver-chips though, which is actually not acceptable from a western point of corporate conduct.

However, the E30 should still sound somewhat good. If your active speakers have a volume knob, I would turn the E30 to DAC-mode with volume fixed to max. and adjust the volume via the speakers.
1, Cirrus logic not ST.
Funnily if it's ST which is cheaper there would've been no issue. And the one from ST is out of stock too. And ST is planning to discontinue the model.
2, All authorized sellers have their description material changed out long time ago.

megapleb

I have two E30s. One I bought new, serial starting 20XX, and the one I've been talking about that I bought second hand, with serial 19XX. I'm aware of the reverse polarization issue on the optical and coaxial inputs on the earlier units, but as far as I know, it has no effect on sound quality.

I tried switching in the 20XX E30 in place of the 19XX E30, and it made no difference.

Using the E30 in DAC mode defeats the purpose of why I bought it for use with my TV - remote volume control.

The difference I'm hearing must be down to:

1. Having the amp in the chain
2. The FiiO D3 vs the E30
3. It's just in my head.

I'll try the speaker volume change suggested by Pdxwayne, though I haven't altered the volume setting on the speakers since switching out the gear, and I had them set almost at max volume based on reading elsewhere that was the best approach. If that doesn't change anything, I'll try swapping in the D3 with lower volume on the speakers, and then try adding the Modi back in the chain with the E30.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom