• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The default (F3) is a minimum-phase fast-rolloff filter. That does seem to be a popular combination. One nice thing about the Topping DACs is that you can switch filters directly from the remote control. Makes testing out different filters much less of a pain.
Ah, I thought it was said the default was a Linear Phase Fast Roll Off. In that case I'll look to see which one is Linear Phase Fast Roll Off and switch to that one, I thought it was F1....I'll look now. EDIT: yep, F1 is the one I want, I've changed it now, thanks for the info, I had thought that was the default.

Pring85

Should we accept / downplay polarity as no big deal? Totally contradictory of anything that is preached here .... nonesensicle .... the E30 has proven a technically flawed product on the coax and optical inputs. I am still within my warranty period to return my unit for a fixed one. I bought from Apos so hopefully Topping releases a fix before the 2 year warranty expires.
It's a tough one, mine sounds really good but with the polarity issue and the pops and ticks between bitrates it's not the complete product I was expecting. The D30 is now a lot cheaper and doesn't have these issues.

Predatowned

Is this safe? I don't know a lot about power but this is my wall wart from my powered usb hub. 5v 4a but the manual says 5v 1a. Is this safe or should I just use my powered usb hub?

Attachments

• 186A7B00-BFB8-4B94-A7E5-7624B52E579C_jpeg.jpg
    186A7B00-BFB8-4B94-A7E5-7624B52E579C_jpeg.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 246

Pring85

Is this safe? I don't know a lot about power but this is my wall wart from my powered usb hub. 5v 4a but the manual says 5v 1a. Is this safe or should I just use my powered usb hub?
The dac will display an error message

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's safe. You need a power supply with the same voltage, and current rating greater than or equal to what the device requires. In this case they're both 5V, and 4A is greater than 1A, so you're good to go. Assuming it's got the right connector and polarity of course.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC will just take the current it needs (ie the "A" part), you just need to make sure it's 5V and equal to or above the required amps(A). I'm using a motorola wallplug that outputs up to 2A. So I think you're safe with using that adapter as long as the plug fits and +/- polarity matches, that's indicated by that +/- symbol in your pic, I think it describes which part of the "pin" is positive & which is negative.

Jarrett

hilarious? it's absolutely normal, because we found out about this issue right after we ordered it! it's a shame, don't you think so? and then we found out, that Topping already knew about it! while those who ordered it several months ago just accepted it, not such a shame

Happily using mine on USB with 1.08. I don't care about the other inputs. It's not like anyone heard the problem before pretty much a recording engineer uncovered it, and not even in a listening scenario. This is not a problem worth a recall over. For $130, you guys expect THE MOON in return policy, customer service, and engineering (and we got the latter two in my experience actually, but Amir doesn't measure polarity).

Last edited:

chaotic_angel

The DAC will just take the current it needs (ie the "A" part), you just need to make sure it's 5V and equal to or above the required amps(A). I'm using a motorola wallplug that outputs up to 2A. So I think you're safe with using that adapter as long as the plug fits and +/- polarity matches, that's indicated by that +/- symbol in your pic, I think it describes which part of the "pin" is positive & which is negative.

Hello please help with this if it is alright to be used?P_20200603_071839.jpg

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well, I've read trough the comments and quite sincerely, I's great if the current owners enjoy what they got, but the thing is, most people will use it for the USB input so it's a non issue, in my case I have zero need for a USB DAC, I only need optical and coax. But before throwing rock at the unsatisfied, the thing is, topping do read forums like that, it does hurt them and the good news is, they will definitely check the polarity before launching a new product, so as a whole, the audiophile community wins. It's relevent because it is one of the purpose of a forum likethis one. To push manufacturers to up their game. You are allowed to not care, but we certainly should be allowed to care. Most people won't notice any difference if the SINAD is 95 vs if the Sinad is 115, but still, the 95 one will not get more love here and will even get a stamp of "not reccomended" Don't buy this. I feel like something objectively measurable, audible in some specific conditions of music content, should not be swept away as just complaining and bashing, and unproductive. I find quite the opposite and personally would really love to see a polarity check in the list of measurments published here. Why not? I don't want to denigrate Topping as a compagny and will let them deal with this the way they see fit, but I, for one, am happythat I read about it here, that I have been to cancel my order, so it's informative and relevent for me. I'm sure that as is, it's still a great product for the price, just not a product I want. I would have like to have been able to get such a promising little DAC for so little, but in this case, unfortunately, this set of measurments don't tell the whole story, it shows that some corners have been cut, and it is to be expected, there is no free lunch and it's very cheap. Now I just need to decide on something else (suggestions?) or I'll order this in a heart beat if we get confirmation that the spdifs in have the proper polarity.

Last edited:

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now I just need to decide on something else (suggestions?)

There are lots of great DACs reviewed here. I have no idea which of them preserve polarity and which (aside from the Topping D10) reverse it. So, rather than recommend something you would consider "defective", I'll leave you to your own devices in figuring out what to buy.

PeteL

Major Contributor
There are lots of great DACs reviewed here. I have no idea which of them preserve polarity and which (aside from the Topping D10) reverse it. So, rather than recommend something you would consider "defective", I'll leave you to your own devices in figuring out what to buy.
Where did I say it was defective? I said it's not something I want, nothing more, You have no idea which one preserve polarity, that was exactly my point, it would be great to have a way to know before making a purchase, especially with the return costs to China.

samsa

You have no idea which one preserve polarity, that was exactly my point, it would be great to have a way to know before making a purchase, especially with the return costs to China.

You don't know, and nobody else here does either. And it never even occurred to you to ask, until you read the discussion about the E30.

That should probably tell you something ...

PeteL

Major Contributor
You don't know, and nobody else here does either. And it never even occurred to you to ask, until you read the discussion about the E30.

That should probably tell you something ...
Yes, it tells me me that it's not a given, and it tells me that it something I will verify now. I appreciate learning, it's the beauty of discussion space like this. I fail to get your point tough, what are you trying to say? That we should not discuss this? That it's not the place to do so? Just trying to understand your gripe.

jevenator

Wow, this discussion is kind of hilarious to read when you get all into the numbers and data and want everything to be perfect in the back of your mind and I get that. But sometimes, if you just use the product, listen to it and if you can't tell a difference then just keep it and stop trying to be like an entitled elitist.

That being said. I received my E30 today and everything sounds good. The only thing that I don't like is 1) some songs which I liked in the past I don't like anymore because of weird defects in the songs. Previously I wouldn't notice it playing from my macbook. Either 1) I wasn't focusing enough or 2) it didn't pop out so much before and therefore it kind of blended in. It's usually problems with the bass in the song as well. Sounds distorted or not clean.

An another note. I ordered black to match my Schiit Heresy and I recieved a silver one. :rolleyes:

There isn't a huge difference between using an amp with my macbook pro & DAC/AMP combo instead. I guess it's a little bit more clear and highlights different parts of the song better. It's not supposed to be a huge difference right? I was kind of expecting a super huge difference. The biggest jump was when I got the HD58x's.

NgxHS7

Yes, it tells me me that it's not a given, and it tells me that it something I will verify now. I appreciate learning, it's the beauty of discussion space like this. I fail to get your point tough, what are you trying to say? That we should not discuss this? That it's not the place to do so? Just trying to understand your gripe.
Discussing and complaining are two totally different things. You know the issue exists, so why keep complaining about it. It's simply meaningless.

samsa

I fail to get your point tough, what are you trying to say?

That if absolute polarity is, for some unfathomable reason, really important to you, then you should shut up, wait a month, and then order a Topping E30, because it will (at that point) be the only DAC you can be sure doesn't reverse polarity.

That we should not discuss this? That it's not the place to do so? Just trying to understand your gripe.

All this endless bitching and moaning (from various participants in this thread) serves no useful purpose.

Please think about how you might contribute something useful.

Top Bottom