• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

facboy

Ok thanks, I did cancel my order, debating if i go for something else. In my setup I won't be using USB, just spdif so the firmware fix is useless for me. It's unfortunate because for features, aesthetics, and specs that's exactly what I was looking for.

i'm imagine they will fix all three inputs and be shipping those units in fairly short order.

fominator

I just orded E30 and now i'm reading that device is defective - wrong polarity! Sorry, but wtf? Did Topping confirm that? I don't understand. Is it true or not? If so i want my money back and never will buy smth from Topping again. My first Topping device and wrong polarity? I don't care that i will not hear it. It must be done right! Please confirm this issue clearly! I bought it on their official aliexpress store! Can i send it back with full refund or return half of it's price without sending?

NgxHS7

I just orded E30 and now i'm reading that device is defective - wrong polarity! Sorry, but wtf? Did Topping confirm that? I don't understand. Is it true or not? If so i want my money back and never will buy smth from Topping again. My first Topping device and wrong polarity? I don't care that i will not hear it. It must be done right! Please confirm this issue clearly! I bought it on their official aliexpress store! Can i send it back with full refund or return half of it's price without sending?

Ask them. I am sure they will help you out. It is a known "issue" to them.

NgxHS7

if they know it WHY do they sell it?

They knew about it AFTER they started selling. A firmware update was released a day after the issue became apparent on this forum. @JohnYang1997 has been on the ball when it comes to this. They did however fail to mention the firmware corrected the polarity only when a USB source is used. COAX and OPTICAL still are reversed. (this can only be rectified by sending the unit back to Topping)

My E30 is due to arrive today. I was a bit annoyed that this had happened, but from what I have read on this forum, there is no easily perceptible sonic difference.

fominator

They knew about it AFTER they started selling. A firmware update was released a day after the issue became apparent on this forum. @JohnYang1997 has been on the ball when it comes to this. They did however fail to mention the firmware corrected the polarity only when a USB source is used. COAX and OPTICAL still are reversed. (this can only be rectified by sending the unit back to Topping)

My E30 is due to arrive today. I was a bit annoyed that this had happened, but from what I have read on this forum, there is no easily perceptible sonic difference.
Thank you! If they confirmed that i will send it back. Very disappointed.

NgxHS7

Actually, I don't know for sure if this is true. All I know is that they are aware of the issue.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It would be quite amusing if yours was one of the new batch of E30s, with the polarity fixed on all three interfaces (not just USB), and you sent it back anyway.

fominator

Actually, I don't know for sure if this is true. All I know is that they are aware of the issue.
Interesting. So, if i understand corretly, someone who heard something defined that as wrong polarity and no technical confirmation yet, only awareness?

fominator

It would be quite amusing if yours was one of the new batch of E30s, with the polarity fixed on all three interfaces (not just USB), and you sent it back anyway.
i orded it 10 days ago, i don't think so

NgxHS7

Interesting. So, if i understand corretly, someone who heard something defined that as wrong polarity and no technical confirmation yet, only awareness?

Someone wanted to use the E30 for recording and found that the polarity was reversed. For his purposes, he needed a fix because he was recording to analogue tapes(something like that).

Topping has confirmed the polarity output is reversed, so yes, they technically confirmed it. Whether or not Topping knew about it during production has not been revealed.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Personally, I have been waiting for more than a month for mine, and when I asked the amazon Vendor what happened, they told me that it looks like my first unit was lost by DHL, but they were waiting to get more units because Topping were working on the polarity Issue. Finally yesterday they got back to me saying they had units in stock. I asked if this batch was fixed, and they said yes, but now they where saying DHL won't deliver to Canada, that I could either use EMS, "About a month" to get here, and no tracking number nor insurance, or pay an extra 30$ for DHL to do it. Didn't believe that was fair since I waited that long and they should have advise of the surcharge when I bought it. On top of that, It's the vendor, they tell me it's fixed, but that's not from Topping, at this point I wasn't sure I trusted them since no one have yet received a unit with the issue fixd on spdif (I don't need usb in my setup for this.) But that's to say, one vendor told me they where shipping fixed units, so it's worth asking Topping, You might be lucky and be the first group of people to receive this very promising dac, done right. You'll have to ask I guess but I agree on something like this you stop shipping, wait till it's fixed, and recall the sold units. I wanted to see some reports of fixed units being received, so for that and the shipping thing, I pulled out, got a refund and Standing by. I also wrote to topping this morning and no answer but I personally as a client recognize that for me, great customer service means respond in a couple days, some people expect an answer in the hour, having been on the other side I don't think it's fair so i'll patiently wait for the answer and if they start shipping updated units I'll place the order.

fominator

Someone wanted to use the E30 for recording and found that the polarity was reversed. For his purposes, he needed a fix because he was recording to analogue tapes(something like that).

Topping has confirmed the polarity output is reversed, so yes, they technically confirmed it. Whether or not Topping knew about it during production has not been revealed.
Thank you. All i can say, that it's a shame and unacceptable bug.

fominator

Personally, I have been waiting for more than a month for mine, and when I asked the amazon Vendor what happened, they told me that it looks like my first unit was lost by DHL, but they were waiting to get more units because Topping were working on the polarity Issue. Finally yesterday they got back to me saying they had units in stock. I asked if this batch was fixed, and they said yes, but now they where saying DHL won't deliver to Canada, that I could either use EMS, "About a month" to get here, and no tracking number nor insurance, or pay an extra 30$ for DHL to do it. Didn't believe that was fair since I waited that long and they should have advise of the surcharge when I bought it. On top of that, It's the vendor, they tell me it's fixed, but that's not from Topping, at this point I wasn't sure I trusted them since no one have yet received a unit with the issue fixd on spdif (I don't need usb in my setup for this.) But that's to say, one vendor told me they where shipping fixed units, so it's worth asking Topping, You might be lucky and be the first group of people to receive this very promising dac, done right. You'll have to ask I guess but I agree on something like this you stop shipping, wait till it's fixed, and recall the sold units. I wanted to see some reports of fixed units being received, so for that and the shipping thing, I pulled out, got a refund and Standing by. I also wrote to topping this morning and no answer but I personally as a client recognize that for me, great customer service means respond in a couple days, some people expect an answer in the hour, having been on the other side I don't think it's fair so i'll patiently wait for the answer and if they start shipping updated units I'll place the order.
So Topping must clearly tell which serial numbers are defective and which are not.

fominator

In general they will lose a lot of buyers.
What in the hell? Are we doing this again? It's been debunked countless times the polarity is not an issue. It's inaudible. To test this you can easily invert the polarity in any DAW and do a blind test for yourself. :facepalm:
what about this answer? so is it a problem or not for Topping?

Last edited:
Top Bottom