• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Because, unfortunately, there is something to complain about. It's a shame that I found unacceptable problems after I ordered the E30. If you read more carefully, you will find out that Audiophonics MPA-S 125 NC has also been ordered.
Do you think I have an interest in audio?!
Not that I can tell , seems you signed up recently solely to vent in this thread .

Iv no issue with highlighting problems with products but this seems a bit overboard.

I'm going to temporarily thread ban you , I want to see you posting in other areas of the forum and being a constructive positive influence before I let this continue.

Cheers

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Because it's a trivial firmware fix. (Not, alas, user-upgradable firmware — the only user-upgradable firmware is the XMOS USB firmware, for which a patch was issued in about a day.)

If the new units are shipping with the upgraded USB firmware, why on earth wouldn't they ship with the upgraded optical/coax firmware?
The new new units will have all outputs fixed. The firmware is a mid ground solution that let old users still have USB input corrected. This also means we can't just fix it for new units. But to invert the polarity for other inputs while maintain polarity when using USB. It's never that trivial as you might think.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The new new units will have all outputs fixed.

As expected, but I am sure many will be reassured to hear that "officially."

The firmware is a mid ground solution that let old users still have USB input corrected. This also means we can't just fix it for new units. But to invert the polarity for other inputs while maintain polarity when using USB. It's never that trivial as you might think.

I imagine not.

Just to clarify: does this mean that users of existing units will still be able to apply (hypothetical) future firmware upgrades, or are they stuck at 1.08?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
As expected, but I am sure many will be reassured to hear that "officially."

I imagine not.

Just to clarify: does this mean that users of existing units will still be able to apply (hypothetical) future firmware upgrades, or are they stuck at 1.08?
The exact solution is made so that there WON'T be two different firmware versions for E30. ALL E30 will be able to continue to upgrade to newer firmware.

hyperplanar

In addition to everything now and clicks when on and off... But what exemplary parametric data! Everybody, hurry up and run to the store from a low start! If there is nowhere more than $130 to add.
:facepalm:

Just return the damn thing if you don't like it.

Migel83

The new new units will have all outputs fixed. The firmware is a mid ground solution that let old users still have USB input corrected. This also means we can't just fix it for new units. But to invert the polarity for other inputs while maintain polarity when using USB. It's never that trivial as you might think.

Hello,
I give a order last night on Aliexpress an ordered by Shenzen Audio who sell the E30.
I become now the newest Revision or the old Stock with the issue?
Can you maybe say it?
When i become the old Version i must just updatet the E30 or send it return to Shenzen audio with a claim?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hello,
I give a order last night on Aliexpress an ordered by Shenzen Audio who sell the E30.
I become now the newest Revision or the old Stock with the issue?
Can you maybe say it?
When i become the old Version i must just updatet the E30 or send it return to Shenzen audio with a claim?
I still don't see it as an issue. It's just something we did for people who care about this. The current stock are two batches earlier than the batch with fix. So don't worry too much about it.

Toku

Major Contributor
If you connect the E30 to a power amplifier that does not have a volume pot at the input, a little pop noise when the power is turned on and off is noticeable, but it is not a disturbing level. Turning the power switch of the SMSL M500 on and off is far more problematic than the E30.

jevenator

Hi all,

I placed an order for the E30 with Apos 3 days ago. Still waiting on some update with shipping but they said they are upgrading all shipping services to the fastest.

I decided to read through the last 20 pages and saw a lot of talk about this whole polarity issue and from what I can understand is really not a big deal especially for an "intro audiophile."

I kinda just want to calm my own nerves. This is going to be my first DAC along with an amp that I got ( Schiit Heresy). The Heresy is going to be coming within a day or two and the E30 who knows. I have the HD58x's as my headphones atm.

The E30 is still a good purchase to wait for right? Or should I have gone something with just the Modi 3? Someone asked about the Modi a while back but was ignored.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I placed an order for the E30 with Apos 3 days ago. Still waiting on some update with shipping but they said they are upgrading all shipping services to the fastest.

I decided to read through the last 20 pages and saw a lot of talk about this whole polarity issue and from what I can understand is really not a big deal especially for an "intro audiophile."

I kinda just want to calm my own nerves. This is going to be my first DAC along with an amp that I got ( Schiit Heresy). The Heresy is going to be coming within a day or two and the E30 who knows. I have the HD58x's as my headphones atm.

The E30 is still a good purchase to wait for right? Or should I have gone something with just the Modi 3? Someone asked about the Modi a while back but was ignored.
I think your purchase of E30 is the right decision.
Various problems have been reported, but they are really trivial. Don't worry about it. If the first 4 digits of the E30 serial number you received are 2003, you have the latest lot.

Pimmsley

Hi all,

Relax, it will sound fantastic, pips the modi3 slightly on specs measured here, has a nice display to confirm sample rate etc. and remote so you can mute audio and play with filters from the comfort of your couch.

I own the E30 and have been vocal about the output polarity for rreasons beyond what I hear. In fact I am listening to it right now at home using the USB input.

For pure transparency sake, I also ordered Modi3 a few days before the E30 but it's stuck in the post and I can't comment on it yet...

lex0rg

I am about to order this unit, but prefer to get the one with latest fixes. I'm planing to ask the sellers for serial numbers of their stock.

If the first 4 digits of the E30 serial number you received are 2003, you have the latest lot.
Should I be looking for 2003 serial numbers then?
The current stock are two batches earlier than the batch with fix. So don't worry too much about it.

But from what JohnYang1997 says, the current stock is two batches behind the fixed batch.

Can someone explain plz? It's my first DAC and I want to get it right :)

NgxHS7

If anyone wants to get one, I recommend Aoshida-hifi store on AliExpress. My E30 arrived in the country today. All questions were answered through the chat on AliExpress. Seem to be a good company to buy from. Just wanted to post considering some have and issues with Shenzhen audio.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are there two versions of e30? I just made the suggestion for a friend to buy one from amazon. It will be here in a day or two.

Toku

Major Contributor
If anyone wants to get one, I recommend Aoshida-hifi store on AliExpress. My E30 arrived in the country today. All questions were answered through the chat on AliExpress. Seem to be a good company to buy from. Just wanted to post considering some have and issues with Shenzhen audio.
Aoshida-hifi is one of Topping's distributors.

facboy

So we don't know which serial numbers have the polarity issue fixed?

I think you are asking which serial numbers have all the polarity issues fixed (USB and coax/optical). AFAIK that is unknown at the moment, it sounds like all current stock (anywhere) only have the USB polarity fixed. Probably only the units currently in production (or maybe not even those) have polarity fixed for all inputs. Best to wait a bit.

Top Bottom