• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Daverz

Major Contributor
Does "pop-pop" occur in both PCM and DSD? , Or is it just PCM? Is it just DSD?
Does it happen at all bit rates?
It requires a little more detailed information.

Yes, it happens at several PCM bitrates I tested, though I wasn't scientific about it. I haven't tried any DSD files yet. I'll try testing the effect of changing bitrates vs. keeping them the same between albums.

gvl

Major Contributor
Does the pop happen on a sampling rate change? Do you hear pops between songs of the same album? Would be interesting to know how well it works with Chromecast Audio popping wise.

Toku

Major Contributor
Anyone's remote come with batteries? That sucks. Every manufacturer includes batteries.
The remote control battery is not included. I think the reason is to avoid violating the national air freight rules.

Jarrett

Ohhh I see.

Is there a way to show the sample rate on the screen all the time? It constantly shows the volume level "-00.0"

Figured it out :D

I only just received this, but most functions seem to be tied to the remote (two AAA). Without the remote you have the power button and switch between pre-amp and pure dac mode.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't care. To be precise: I prefer not to pay for some crappy included batteries which ruin the remote with leakage but to choose some quality batteries myself.

I've had the "top brands" leak, too. Took forever to get a bad Duracell out of a laser level I'd not used in ages the other day. Been using cheap Ray-O-Vac NiMH AAAs in my mice and a few remotes the past few years and been completely happy.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Does "pop-pop" occur in both PCM and DSD? , Or is it just PCM? Is it just DSD?
Does it happen at all bit rates?
It requires a little more detailed information.

So the "pop-pop" occurs only when switching PCM sample rates and when switching from PCM to DSD (DSF files). Still, I have a lot of hi-res PCM files among the 44.1 files, so it happens a lot. I suppose one "fix" would be to have squeezelite upsample everything.

Jarrett

The pop is barely perceptible and has received too much attention.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The pop is barely perceptible

It's not "barely perceptible" in my system. And I've tried it with 2 amps (Bryston 3B-SST and NHT XDA). I find it quite annoying. None of my other DACs do this.

kkeretic

I've had the "top brands" leak, too. Took forever to get a bad Duracell out of a laser level I'd not used in ages the other day. Been using cheap Ray-O-Vac NiMH AAAs in my mice and a few remotes the past few years and been completely happy.

Duracell AA batteries are one big mess for me. Had a leak in a digital clock, keyboard, Canon flash... Ray-O-Vac are actually very good.

Toku

Major Contributor
Expect E30 V2 .... sorry for the sarcasm.
No, there is a good chance.
While I was discussing the problems with Toppingni and E30, I felt a plan for improvement including hardware.

UAN

No, there is a good chance.
While I was discussing the problems with Toppingni and E30, I felt a plan for improvement including hardware.

If hardware changes are already needed, then it really will be the E30 V2. :)

Scriba

1587028704941.png

Noob question: Does all DAC use a worse chip for the optical input? I was always thinking usb and S/PDIF uses the same chip.

Top Bottom