• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I switched to using RCA to XLR cables into my Bryston 3B-SST, and that greatly reduced the hum I was hearing when putting my ear to the woofers. The hum from the right speaker is greatly reduced, while I don't hear any hum at all from the left speaker.

Also, I spoke too soon about the pop issue. I do find the "pop-pop" that I get when queuing up an album in LMS to be annoying. I hope this is something Topping can fix in firmware.
The hum was probably from your unbalanced interconnects. I’ve always had this issue using cheaper gear, like Schiit or Topping. It goes away somewhat if I painstakingly adjust cables to not touch anything. Using XLR balanced interconnects fixes this for me. As for the popping thing, this is also an issue I’ve always had using cheaper gear. The Schiit Saga preamp exhibits this problem, as did the Topping D10 I had as well... maybe I just have bad luck with entry level gear and it’s all defective.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The hum was probably from your unbalanced interconnects. I’ve always had this issue using cheaper gear, like Schiit or Topping. It goes away somewhat if I painstakingly adjust cables to not touch anything. Using XLR balanced interconnects fixes this for me. As for the popping thing, this is also an issue I’ve always had using cheaper gear. The Schiit Saga preamp exhibits this problem, as did the Topping D10 I had as well... maybe I just have bad luck with entry level gear and it’s all defective.

I was using very cheap molded, tin RCA connectors as well.

I was surprised how much a "half" balanced cable -- RCA on one end and XLR on the other -- quieted the hum. Interestingly, the cables I used originally came with my NHT XD amp. IIRC, NHT included these cables because they solved a hum problem for many customers.

Veri

Master Contributor

I was surprised how much a "half" balanced cable -- RCA on one end and XLR on the other -- quieted the hum. Interestingly, the cables I used originally came with my NHT XD amp. IIRC, NHT included these cables because they solved a hum problem for many customers.
Benchmark also makes good star quad RCA>XLR cables, they claim a slight common mode benefit.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-rca-to-xlrm-adapter-cable $68 a pair!

kkeretic

In the 20 years I've purchased/tried all kinds of interconnect cables with various equipment, both cheap and expensive. After some time of experimenting and searching for something inexpensive but good, finally settled with custom self made inexpensive Klotz AC110 (LaGrange) professional class cable for stages terminated with Switchcraft 3502A or Rean NYS352 connectors and soldered with WBT 0800 4% silver solder. Even 5m cables do not cause any hum, buzz or anything that would degrade the sound or anything in any way anywhere. Very robust and resistant to interference.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
christ how bad smsl and toppings reliability is. you know its true.

My smsl m500, and Topping d50s, dx3 pro, and D70 are all performing perfectly for me.
You don't hear from the happy customers..

eziitis

Can someone identify the part indicated in E30? Some kind of buffer after LPF? it looks like Sanskrit 10th MK Ⅱ also has a transistor buffer (2nd pic). Surprisingly opamp power rails there decoupled with a small ceramic only.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 12.20.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 12.20.28.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 2,470
  • Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 12.29.42.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 12.29.42.png
    196 KB · Views: 1,054

UAN

Can someone identify the part indicated in E30? Some kind of buffer after LPF? it looks like Sanskrit 10th MK Ⅱ also has a transistor buffer (2nd pic). Surprisingly opamp power rails there decoupled with a small ceramic only.

These are transistor switches that disconnect the LPF output from the RCA. So that no clicks are heard.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I have never had a ground loop issue

I just checked: I have the amp and the DAC plugged into different circuits. I'll try them on the same one later...

This is what makes balanced connections valuable. But it looks like the cheapest Topping balanced DAC (D70) is $500?

hutt132

Got mine today and set it in DAC mode, so it displayed the Windows sample rate instead of the volume level. Default filter mode is 3.
There's no audible noise when I set headphone amp to max gain and turned the volume to max.

Only issue I've had is with the driver install. I had to install the driver, reboot, and install again in order for Windows to detect it.
Otherwise it sounds like any other DAC (transparent).

EDIT: To clarify, drivers are only required if you want to use ASIO, as mentioned by @AndyLu below.

Last edited:

drew.woz

Windows drivers were mentioned above. I plan to use a samsung tablet as a tuner with usb out to E30. Will samsung drivers be needed for proper operation? thx

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Windows drivers were mentioned above. I plan to use a samsung tablet as a tuner with usb out to E30. Will samsung drivers be needed for proper operation? thx

I assume the Samsung is running Android. For Android you don't need to install drivers (they are already built in Android). Just plug the DAC into the USB port of the tablet and it should be recognized automatically.

By the way (superfluous information): installing drivers in Windows is only needed if you want to play the DAC through the ASIO interface. Since Windows 10 all devices (including the E30) with USB 2 audio interfaces are automatically detected by Windows. Every modern music player app can see them and play them without separately installed drivers (through WASAPI). If terms like ASIO and WASAPI sound completely alien to you, simply forget what I said about the Windows drivers :)

sanjaybb

Any idea where i can buy one in the UK (without waiting months for delivery?)

JR4321

Anyone have issues with the optical input? Mine is reading ERR, only. I can't get it to play from the GoogleCast Audio.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Trying the E30 now with my NHT XD system. This has an amp/DSP box that acts as digital crossover and amp for the speakers. I still get the same "pop-pop" sound when queueing up albums with LMS. I really prefer music to start from silence.

SwainVoorman

I might have missed it earlier in this thread or in another but is there a sense of when the L30 is slated for release? I know things are up in the air in general with the pandemic but are things on track for sometime this year? I'm increasingly interested in pursuing an E30/L30 stack...

Toku

Major Contributor
Trying the E30 now with my NHT XD system. This has an amp/DSP box that acts as digital crossover and amp for the speakers. I still get the same "pop-pop" sound when queueing up albums with LMS. I really prefer music to start from silence.
Does "pop-pop" occur in both PCM and DSD? , Or is it just PCM? Is it just DSD?
Does it happen at all bit rates?
It requires a little more detailed information.

Top Bottom