• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doubtful....
When comparing DACS above a certain threshold of quality (based on measurements on this site), then differences are so small as likely to be impossible to distinguish by the human ear, therefore if you don't even take the basic steps to control everything in the listening tests (including sighted bias) then you can't really be sure if one is better or different than the other. I think it's possible to think subjectively that one sounds better than the other and that happens to me too.....I would hesitate myself to say one was better than the other but that's the light that is shed by the measurements on this site.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When comparing DACS above a certain threshold of quality (based on measurements on this site), then differences are so small as likely to be impossible to distinguish by the human ear, therefore if you don't even take the basic steps to control everything in the listening tests (including sighted bias) then you can't really be sure if one is better or different than the other. I think it's possible to think subjectively that one sounds better than the other and that happens to me too.....I would hesitate myself to say one was better than the other but that's the light that is shed by the measurements on this site.
I second that, after a certain threshold as long as the output stage is implemented correctly

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I second that, after a certain threshold as long as the output stage is implemented correctly

Isn't that apparent through the measurements? People mention 'output stage' as if it is something separate...
DAC's are measured as functional units, including output stage. The output stage is what the AP leads are attached to...not the chip.

HifMAn

Got it...

Its you again? In each barrel a gag.If you don’t hear the difference in devices, these are your personal problems, I am sorry for you. Do not impose your foul idea that all DACs play the same! We have our own ears, and unlike yours, they are able to hear the difference, even on products with the same measurements. Go do blind tests and convince yourself that everything sounds the same further. Hearing and ears cannot be measured.

Снова ты влез? В каждой бочке затычка.
Если ты не слышишь разницу в устройствах это твои личные проблемы, мне тебя жаль. Не надо навязывать свою протухшую идею что все цапы играют одинаково! У нас есть свои уши, и в отличает от твоих они способны слышать разницу, даже на изделиях с одинаковыми измерениями. Иди проводи слепые тесты и убеждай себя что все звучит одинаково дальше. Слух и уши не возможно измерить.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Its you again? In each barrel a gag.If you don’t hear the difference in devices, these are your personal problems, I am sorry for you. Do not impose your foul idea that all DACs play the same! We have our own ears, and unlike yours, they are able to hear the difference, even on products with the same measurements. Go do blind tests and convince yourself that everything sounds the same further. Hearing and ears cannot be measured.

Uh huh...

Thank you for your first post, and welcome to the forum!

Yep it's me! Not sure what the 'again' is about, nor the gagging issue... Do you know me?

Have a special day!

HifMAn

About DAC E30. A flat scene, the natural instruments sounds like from TV of my grandma. For 129 bucks its OK. But on a full-fledged hi-fi system with floorstanding speakers, I do not recomend it. For a computer - it’s good.

Tup3x

That writing style seems familiar...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About DAC E30. A flat scene, the natural instruments sounds like from TV of my grandma. For 129 bucks its OK. But on a full-fledged hi-fi system with floorstanding speakers, I do not recomend it. For a computer - it’s good.
lol (thanks for the prank)

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Wrong notion, I completely disagree

ModDIY

Do you test and listen to the DAC with MP3 files? You seem to say anything

Strato007

I made a purchase from Shenzen Audio using Amazon. Shipping from China to the UK was 4 days. No extra tariffs or VAT charges. Of course once inside the UK Royal Mail decided to send it to the wrong distribution office not once, but twice thus eating up an extra 4 days sending between the mail center and wrong distribution office. Royal F'Ups is more like it.

Anyways, I've now have the E30 setup in DAC mode powered by a extra Xiaomi charger. Amplification is being handled by my JDS Labs Atom. Source is my PC using Tidal. Headphones are Sennheiser HD650 that are EQ'd with Oratory1990's latest curves via Equalizer APO. My previous DAC was the JDS OL DAC and I also have an ifi Audio Micro iDSD. All I can say is the E30 is subjectively better than either of them. It sounds cleaner and everything is more tightly defined. Reverb and spacial queues seem to jump out because of the clean presentation. The bass region is also better with less bloat or smear. It might be cliche, but it sounds like hi-fi to me. Highly recommended.
Hi! Can you describe song comparision, soundstage and deph, is warmer than other DACs you have (what are they)?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! Can you describe song comparision, soundstage and deph, is warmer than other DACs you have (what are they)?
Nooo, don't do that! ;)

dir

I has too many expectations from E30. Despite good measurements it sounds mediocre, just like entry level tv-box.
Lean timbre, no aftertone, wasted money. Please, do not rush to accuse me for sympathy for the colored sound. RME DAC and Chord has equally good measurements, but I prefer RME.
It seems like a mathematical model of hearing has not been created yet. In the meantime, today measurements allow us to detect some tech defects the chain only.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I has too many expectations from E30. Despite good measurements it sounds mediocre, just like entry level tv-box.
Lean timbre, no aftertone, wasted money. Please, do not rush to accuse me for sympathy for the colored sound. RME DAC and Chord has equally good measurements, but I prefer RME.
It seems like a mathematical model of hearing has not been created yet. In the meantime, today measurements allow us to detect some tech defects the chain only.
No way Jose, I refute that both objectively & subjectively (owning this DAC). If I'm gonna put my own subjective opinions over, the E30 sounds better than both the Asus Xonar U7 and the SoundblasterX G6, both of which measured well with the latter measuring very well if you operated it at -2dBFS. You might not expect the E30 to sound better than the G6 based on the measurements, but the G6 was buggy so I think it created it's own strange idiosyncrasies, some days it would run better than others (and would require options to be toggled/reset), it was just as buggy as hell. Yeah, so I think people can buy the E30 with confidence based on the measurements in this review. It's not fair nor accurate for you to describe the E30 as "mediocre" and "like entry level tv-box" - that's just INCORRECT & WRONG.

Last edited:

obwohl

I need another dac for my Geithains 906.
So sorry for the dumb question here, but would the E30 dac match my RME ff800 dac quality-wise? I am not interested in a "pleasing" or "sounded" conversion - just in measurement and neutrality.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Uh huh...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need another dac for my Geithains 906.
So sorry for the dumb question here, but would the E30 dac match my RME ff800 dac quality-wise? I am not interested in a "pleasing" or "sounded" conversion - just in measurement and neutrality.
Well, I think based on the measurements here, no one needs a better DAC than this one....as in better measuring DACs it's pretty much safe to say imperceptible in difference when listening. I think you got to set yourself a minimum measuring quality (& E30 should satisfy that I think), and then you ask yourself questions over whether it has the necessary connections & features you want and does it output the max voltage you want, and are you OK with how the DAC looks with your equipment, and can you operate it pleasingly (remote control, panel, etc). E30 outputs 2V and has a remote control for volume control & other features, as well as optical in (& some other stuff I've missed without looking at the manual).....so I think it covers a lot of bases really well, but you gotta make your decisions. (and of course price comes into the equation too, and it's good value for money for the performance/features).

obwohl

What would be the alternative to this one when I need a balanced output? The e30 seems to have only unbalanced, right?

Top Bottom