• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

TLke893

Interesting. So what does this mean for the resolution of the DAC in practise? There is, despite -99 db - 89 dB, only a loss of maximal 6 dB or must be the complete digital volume steps summerized and then substracted by the clicks for the result?

SoundsGood

Probably best to let it come to ambient temperature in the box if it's that cold (condensation).

Different in what, color? ;)
The resolution of the DX9 is such that any cable or component you attach will have an impact on the sound quality. So, if you are into comparing various items this is a good platform. With me, I tried three difference USB cables - from $25 to $1300 and could hear a difference in each. The one I was using regularly was the least desirable so it went to the utility bin. The other, cheapest and most expensive were both keepers. Just saying...this DX9 has such low distortion and ample power it will not be the weak link in a top tier system. You can audition streamers, USB and Ethernet cleaners and will be able to tell if it does what you expected. IIs? evaluating it now.

HD800Fan

Interesting. So what does this mean for the resolution of the DAC in practise? There is, despite -99 db - 89 dB, only a loss of maximal 6 dB or must be the complete digital volume steps summerized and then substracted by the clicks for the result?
That it measures better and all that?
Honestly I assume you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between this and a DX3 Pro+ in a double blind. We are way beyond the capability of human perceptual hearing at this point.

EDIT: The hybrid volume control controls the pre-out and the headphones, not the line out from the DAC part.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The resolution of the DX9 is such that any cable or component you attach will have an impact on the sound quality. So, if you are into comparing various items this is a good platform. With me, I tried three difference USB cables - from $25 to $1300 and could hear a difference in each. The one I was using regularly was the least desirable so it went to the utility bin. The other, cheapest and most expensive were both keepers. Just saying...this DX9 has such low distortion and ample power it will not be the weak link in a top tier system. You can audition streamers, USB and Ethernet cleaners and will be able to tell if it does what you expected. IIs? evaluating it now.
If you can really hear differences amongst the cables you have either a broken DAC or some broken cables.
(Supposedly) top of the class devices are immune to their front end (or they should be) and just effortlessly deliver.

I would try ABX if I was you,just to make sure.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Crazy how this has the same MSRP as the D70 pro SABRE and A70 pro stack. That stack might measure slightly better I presume, but really, who wouldn't choose this unit over that? This unit is so nice and good looking.
Me..
Nice and good looking is highly subjective, personally I don't like the aesthetics of the DX9 and, again personally, for me that is already enough reason not to even consider this unit.

HD800Fan

Me..
Nice and good looking is highly subjective, personally I don't like the aesthetics of the DX9 and, again personally, for me that is already enough reason not to even consider this unit.
Just because it's rounded?

Lupin

HD800Fan

Anyone with a Sennheiser HD800S knows how well the black connector matches with the colour of a black DX9?

IJCOBRA

I received my DX9 today. Packaging is pretty good. The remote does not come with a battery (it takes the CR232 or whatever small disc types); that's a hassle. Like someone else, I also noticed what I thought was a scratch on the top left corner, but it seems to have been some adhesive like hot glue that I was able to remove with a fingernail after some effort without leaving a mark.

The volume knob is... different. I have to swipe it about 7 times to get from -99dB to -30dB, and yes the relays will "click" about 10 times during this process. The clicking is not as annoying as someone else stated. Is there a setting to make the volume knob more sensitive so I don't have to rotate it so much? The first 50-60dBs are almost pointless. Strangely, with my Meze Classic 99's I can still hear music even at -99dB (extremely faint). I can't hear it with higher impedance/less sensitive headphones.

My initial thoughts were it does not seem to get as loud/is not as powerful as I assumed. I ensured I am in high gain mode. I tried USB, optical, and bluetooth inputs all with similar results:

Meze 99 Classic: -30dB is comfortable volume if I am rocking. 6.35mm cable adapter.
HiFiMan Sundara: -12dB sounds appropriately loud if I am rocking. 6.35mm cable adapter. I can honestly stand to turn it all the way up to 0 for a couple seconds. I also tried an XLR cable with the Sundara and didn't notice a difference.
AKG K701: -15dB or so with the 6.35mm cable. Not a fan of these headphones at louder levels.
OPPO PM-3: About -24dB with 6.35mm adapter.
Sennheiser HD600: -17dB through XLR balanced cable. Through the 6.35mm I can go to -10dB or so.

I suppose if the DX-9 puts out 7000mW x2 at 32 ohms [at 0dB/max volume?], that means:
3500mW at -3dB
1700mW at -6dB
857mW at -9dB
437mW at -12dB
218mW at -15dB
...and you can see how small the power becomes the further you rotate the volume knob counterclockwise.

So perhaps it is putting out the power, but the big results are only found in the last 10dB of the volume knob, and I suppose this would be the same for all amplifiers.

I'm probably going to receive flak for this, but I tried to A/B with my Schiit Valhalla and the DX9 at -10dB seems about the same volume as the Valhalla at about 75% volume knob rotation. Frankly, I thought the Valhalla sounded better playing the same song through my HD600s (1/4" plug). And that is using the built-in DSP in my mid-2015 MacBook Pro outputting to a 3.5mm to RCA cable into the Valhalla. It sounds "fuller" and not as "thin".

Does any of this sound similar to your experience with the DX9? Are these volume levels similar to your "loud" listening levels with headphones?

HD800Fan

I received my DX9 today. Packaging is pretty good. The remote does not come with a battery (it takes the CR232 or whatever small disc types); that's a hassle. Like someone else, I also noticed what I thought was a scratch on the top left corner, but it seems to have been some adhesive like hot glue that I was able to remove with a fingernail after some effort without leaving a mark.

The volume knob is... different. I have to swipe it about 7 times to get from -99dB to -30dB, and yes the relays will "click" about 10 times during this process. The clicking is not as annoying as someone else stated. Is there a setting to make the volume knob more sensitive so I don't have to rotate it so much? The first 50-60dBs are almost pointless. Strangely, with my Meze Classic 99's I can still hear music even at -99dB (extremely faint). I can't hear it with higher impedance/less sensitive headphones.
The volume knob has acceleration, so it changes more if you turn it fast rather than slow.

Last edited:

Lambrusqa

Clipboard01.jpg

Topping be topping... They agreed for a replacement, but I'm not ok to send it back to China to some random address without any guarantees.
It's still clicks too, even with the standard windows drivers. Though less than before. Good idea in a ****** wrapper, as usual

HD800Fan

View attachment 355869

Topping be topping... They agreed for a replacement, but I'm not ok to send it back to China to some random address without any guarantees.
It's still clicks too, even with the standard windows drivers. Though less than before. Good idea in a ****** wrapper, as usual
You sure it's not just the relays clicking?

HD800Fan

Yep, it happens without me touching the device at all
Yea so you should send it back to the retailer you bought it from and have them deal with Topping.

Lambrusqa

I've bought it on AliExpress from Shenzhenaudio Store and as 15 days have passed I'm on my own now. It's fine, just wanted everyone to be aware of what to expect

Lupin

Could've bought from a reputed local retailer. Sure, it will cost a little bit more than buying from AliExpress but when things do go wrong you don't have to deal with the Chinese parcel service lottery.

Ziofrenko

Frankly, I thought the Valhalla sounded better playing the same song through my HD600s (1/4" plug). And that is using the built-in DSP in my mid-2015 MacBook Pro outputting to a 3.5mm to RCA cable into the Valhalla. It sounds "fuller" and not as "thin".
look at this, no doubt about your perception: the 2nd is at -40 and the third is at -70...
It sound fuller, but you aren't listening the same thing that is on file or on any support... is another world, better for you maybe, but not "high-fidelity" towards the artist ;)

IJCOBRA

look at this, no doubt about your perception: the 2nd is at -40 and the third is at -70...
It sound fuller, but you aren't listening the same thing that is on file or on any support... is another world, better for you maybe, but not "high-fidelity" towards the artist ;)

Yes I've read that review previously, which is for the original Valhalla. Mine is the newer model still for sale on the Schiit website. I'm on the wrong website to disregard measurements, but the numbers and my ears are telling me different things.

Top Bottom