• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphone amp dac with balanced output

Dreborn

So I recently upgraded from a jds element mk3 to the topping dx9 and the dx9 is awesome. Gorgeous and has all the features I need

The issue is 1) topping is pretty darn big/wide for my desk

2) I just don’t use many of the features. My computer is the only source and I’m outputting them to my cans.

So is there a smaller form factor amp dac that has balanced output?

And then lastly, is there something I’m missing with the dx9? Like worth the size in my setup? Thanks!

Oh and I did try the Fiio r9 and I didn’t love the sound..

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use three units for that function. With the three units stacked, the width is 9 inches, height is 5 inches and depth is 6 inches not counting cables.

Schiit Modius E dac $229
Schiit Lokius EQ $299
Schiit Midguard headphone amp/preamp $219

All have balanced inputs and outputs and sound great to me.

The cost for all 3 is less than the dx9.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know all about the benefits of balanced operation but why do you think you need that. Single ended can actually be cleaner if done properly and with no issues like ground loops etc.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I know all about the benefits of balanced operation but why do you think you need that. Single ended can actually be cleaner if done properly and with no issues like ground loops etc.

I wanted the Lokius for EQ. The other two were the same size so a nice matched stack.

There were cheap and had balanced all the way so why not use it? Like I said in another post, I bought a 6 pack of short balanced cables to $32.

I listened to them both ways. I couldn't hear any noticeable difference between RCA and balanced. The balanced setup may have been slightly louder at the same volume level and the cheap balanced cables look cool. ;)

My new headphones came with a balanced connector too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted the Lokius for EQ. The other two were the same size so a nice matched stack.

There were cheap and had balanced all the way so why not use it? Like I said in another post, I bought a 6 pack of short balanced cables to $32.

I listened to them both ways. I couldn't hear any noticeable difference between RCA and balanced. The balanced setup may have been slightly louder at the same volume level and the cheap balanced cables look cool. ;)

My new headphones came with a balanced connector too.
Ahhh... All the good reasons that I like too. I run a Schiit headphone amp too and it has worked out very well and has so much power that I can never even come close to the max zone. Fits nicely behind the monitor where all the dust is, never gets looked at or touched. It's just a appliance to me and nothing special. The PC is the showcase item.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
20240317_043946.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Link to the $32 6 pack:

Just WoW! They are so beautiful all colored and identical. It's visual art... :D Amazon.ca is a treat sometimes for sure. I bought 20 polyester T shirts (I love poly and nylon clothing.) for like ~$7 each and they have been washed and washed and worn and slept in and blah blah... No issues whatsoever.
81UrB8wTssL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

spede

Not sure if ground loop cares for quality of the SE DAC, everytime i connected SE USB Dac to amplifier with build in PSU = Ground Loop.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if ground loop cares for quality of the SE DAC, everytime i connected SE USB Dac to amplifier with build in PSU = Ground Loop.
Bad luck I guess. That's all I can think of because many peeps have no issues.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My single ended Schiit headphone amp and single ended ATOM DAC+ are connected via USB to the PC desktop tower and it is dead silent. Very nice clean sound. Lotsa peeps buy single ended and are very pleased. One of the expert experts here @ ASR makes high end headphone amps and he says single ended can actually be cleaner sounding with less distortion than a balanced operation setup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom