• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC to get? (Gustard A26/R26 vs Topping DX9)

Which DAC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Your_Toilet

Hi everyone!

I am planning to get a DAC to pair with my ZMF Atrium headphones and HD800s with the Feliks Euforia 20th Anniversary. I also have the Kali IN-8 studio monitors.

Is the Gustard a big improvement in overall sound quality in general over the Topping DX9?

I really love the aesthetics of the Topping but if the sound is a big improvement on the Gustard then I'll run with that. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for aesthetics if the difference isn't big enough.

And from what I've heard, is there a big difference between the delta sigma version vs the R2R version in terms of overall sound stage? The A26 is considerably cheaper at $1800 AUD vs R26 at $2300.

Thank you!

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
is there a big difference between the delta sigma version vs the R2R version in terms of overall sound stage?
Hello and welcome!

The soundstage is mostly only affected by how it is recorded and sometimes on how the room works with speakers on playback. Any DAC which measures well, should not impact soundstage.

OP
Y

Your_Toilet

Nice to meet everyone! and also I would like to thank everyones responses aswell. Everyone is so nice here :)

Since there isn't a big difference between the more expensive dacs, is there something you guys would recommend at a cheaper price point that can support my headphones, amp, my active speakers and a possible subwoofer in the future?

Maybe a used RME for it's parametric EQ, or the new VMV D2R. Preferably anything that is black to match my setup and something that I can keep for years to come <3

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had some Gustard stuff like the X26Pro, X18, and U18. It's really heavy and the X26Pro runs so hot it warmed up the room if you left it on. Audibly it wasn't any better than my Topping stuff. I just put together a Topping A70Pro/D70 Octo and an SMSL SP400/M400 and I'm sure the DX9 will be just as nice.
I won't get Gustard stuff again since I don't think a DAC has to weigh 16lbs and give off that much heat for home use.

Top Bottom