• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

rolfrander

Forum Donor
1. Can I run the DX9's RCA pre-outs from the DAC into a separate tube pre-amp, and then back into the DX9 for high-power amplification? Yes, I know most ASR user's thoughts on tubes and noise. Hey, I like to play around and experiment.
If you want the "tube-amp distortion", I am sure there exists software you can use to get the same effect. Try googling "dsp tube simulation".

IJCOBRA

Does the app have video of nice warm tube glowing? Hey, that would be an AWESOME feature for the screen(s) of the DX9! I call dibs on this idea. "TubeGlow™"
If you want the "tube-amp distortion", I am sure there exists software you can use to get the same effect. Try googling "dsp tube simulation"

HD800Fan

So this is never getting reviewed right?

b407driver

Considering Topping really isn't shipping any significant numbers (back at xmas it was a 2-4 week wait), can't see how, at least anytime soon. Perhaps a forum member will send one to Amir, but pretty sure Topping won't.

I canceled my order with Shenzhen Audio, and got an RME ADI-2 FS instead, and I'm so glad I did, because the PEQ is just such a significant feature... and, for the same price.

HD800Fan

I canceled my order with Shenzhen Audio, and got an RME ADI-2 FS instead, and I'm so glad I did, because the PEQ is just such a significant feature... and, for the same price.
Is there a benefit to the unit doing the PEQ over doing it in software on a PC?

b407driver

I'm not a forum guru, but if you go down the rabbit hole I did and read Amir's review of it and all the following posts, I'd dare you not to buy one.

RME seems an impressive company (not chasing numbers, frequently updating firmware and not screwing it up, etc.), and they ~recently released desktop/ios software to run the interface of the DAC (look it up: "ADI Remote"). The software is easy to use (much easier than programming via the few buttons on the hardware), visually compelling, and they pretty much got it right the first time (and it runs with few system resources).

HD800Fan

No I meant is there a benefit to the unit doing the PEQ rather than use something like Equalizer APO on your PC?

HD800Fan

I got this on Sale from Audiophonics at over 1100 and i consider that daylight robbery!
What was the date of this sale? And it was euros right?

b407driver

No I meant is there a benefit to the unit doing the PEQ rather than use something like Equalizer APO on your PC?
Never used the software and don't use a PC, and I can't answer that. I mean, having the PEQ built into the DAC is one less thing to worry about, but if you use it, it is still another piece of software, either way. I'm guessing there are others around here who can answer your question.

b407driver

What was the date of this sale? And it was euros right?
Shenzhen ultimately discounted me 10% for having to wait, as well as posting a 'available' date that was not realistic (when I ordered they showed 'in stock', which is what prompted the conversation). They started at 5%, then 8%, I didn't respond, then they said "OK, 10%..." Got the credit pretty quickly once I canceled.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Yes, as any digital source will benefit from it. Is a matter of convenience.

HD800Fan

Yes, as any digital source will benefit from it. Is a matter of convenience.
Okay so no difference in phase shift, pre-ringing or latency?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Okay so no difference in phase shift, pre-ringing or latency?
Of course, under the assumption that the implementation is done correctly. As always in aucio, there is nothing like a comparative listening to make sure.

HD800Fan

Lambrusqa

Hey, newbie here. Got my DX9 a week ago and so far so good. Couple of questions if I may:
1. Using it with Focal Shape Twin over XLR, should I use line outs or pre outs? Briefly tried both, didn't notice any difference
2. Would DX9 be good for Dan Clark Stealth or Noir?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Hey, newbie here. Got my DX9 a week ago and so far so good. Couple of questions if I may:
1. Using it with Focal Shape Twin over XLR, should I use line outs or pre outs? Briefly tried both, didn't notice any difference
2. Would DX9 be good for Dan Clark Stealth or Noir?
10 W at 16 Ohms are much more than needed for the 84 dB/mW at 13 Ohms Noire.

HD800Fan

Youre right it was November 24 instead of December.
Thanks, I am very tempted to pick it up if it gets on sale again.

IJCOBRA

Hey, newbie here. Got my DX9 a week ago and so far so good.

Glad to hear people are receiving these.

I ordered it on Christmas. I contacted them on Jan 6th, they replied that it is expected at the end of January. On January 8th they marked it as "shipped" via DHL on Amazon with a tracking number, but the only tracking status has been "Carrier picked up the package".

A couple days ago I received another reply from SHENZHENAUDIO saying "the product is still out of stock, we've urged the manufacturer, they said it will be in stock for a couple days". I assume that means it will be IN stock in a couple days..(?)

I'm not worried quite yet, just posting for others that may have ordered, or plan to order.

Top Bottom