• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone who "speaks" Topping manuals help me understand a DX9 config option

fatoldgit

I have been in an multi-email conversation with Topping directly but maybe my Kiwi accent confused them (joke!!!!).

The DX9 has two sets of XLR outputs which has got my heart pounding (and lets not think about what its done to my nether regions) and these are tagged as pre-outs and line outs.

I am trying to determine (which Topping couldnt understand) if both sets of XLR's can be configured as pre-outs (i.e. both controlled by the volume control).

The applicable part of the DX9 manual is below.

So...

If I set (1) to ALL then its clear that both XLR pairs will be active

Now... for (2) if I set lineout to OFF and preout to ALL does that mean both XLR pairs are pre-outs (which is what I want... both controlled by the volume control)

Being in Kiwi land, 10,000's of KM's away from the civilized world (or whats left of it) makes it hard to take a punt on a relatively expensive device.

Thanks,

Peter

1704504094168.png

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been in an multi-email conversation with Topping directly but maybe my Kiwi accent confused them (joke!!!!).

The DX9 has two sets of XLR outputs which has got my heart pounding (and lets not think about what its done to my nether regions) and these are tagged as pre-outs and line outs.

I am trying to determine (which Topping couldnt understand) if both sets of XLR's can be configured as pre-outs (i.e. both controlled by the volume control).

The applicable part of the DX9 manual is below.

So...

If I set (1) to ALL then its clear that both XLR pairs will be active

Now... for (2) if I set lineout to OFF and preout to ALL does that mean both XLR pairs are pre-outs (which is what I want... both controlled by the volume control)

Being in Kiwi land, 10,000's of KM's away from the civilized world (or whats left of it) makes it hard to take a punt on a relatively expensive device.

Thanks,

Peter

View attachment 339979
I guess (wild guess) based on my experience with Topping devices (3 of them so far) that the ALL setting would include both XLR outputs for the selected output mode. So if you go PRE-ALL then I think you get what you want.

However, I am not sure at all and there's no guarantee it works the way I think it works. Hopefully someone here owns one and can actually test it out for you.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... for (2) if I set lineout to OFF and preout to ALL does that mean both XLR pairs are pre-outs (which is what I want... both controlled by the volume control)
The way I understand it I would say no only the pre- outs work the line out is off. How I read it for both to work.

1. Output mode > ALL
2. Line out > XLR , PRE output > XLR
Or set everything to ALL.

The thing though is line out fixed or variable ? I assume it's variable when in Pre mode because the manual says for DAC mode to be effective output must be line out. Of course I might be wrong it's simply the way I read it.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could email wherever you're thinking of ordering from and ask if all outputs route through the volume control when in preamp mode. That should be fairly easy to understand.

OP
F

fatoldgit

Thanks to all... it shows I aint as stupid as I thought.

There is enough ambiguity in the manual to confuse even three of the greatest minds on the forum.

As suggested, will hit up a reseller and see what they say.

Peter

effj

My read on the instructions you attached:
The line-out will always function at full, fixed signal level, it can never be controlled by the volume control.
In setting 1, you can select one output section (headphone, preamp, or line-out) to have a signal or select all sections.
In setting 2, you can select which output terminal(s) is/are enabled in the enabled section(s). If preamp output/all enabled in setting 1, you can send preamp signal through preamp XLR terminals, or preamp RCA terminals, or both pairs, or disable the preamp section; line-out signal through line-out XLRs, line-out RCAs, both, or disable the line-out section; and similar for the headphone section. I think the three sections all work the way their names describe and you can’t reconfigure one section to “work like another” so to speak.

OP
F

fatoldgit

My read on the instructions you attached:
The line-out will always function at full, fixed signal level, it can never be controlled by the volume control.
In setting 1, you can select one output section (headphone, preamp, or line-out) to have a signal or select all sections.
In setting 2, you can select which output terminal(s) is/are enabled in the enabled section(s). If preamp output/all enabled in setting 1, you can send preamp signal through preamp XLR terminals, or preamp RCA terminals, or both pairs, or disable the preamp section; line-out signal through line-out XLRs, line-out RCAs, both, or disable the line-out section; and similar for the headphone section. I think the three sections all work the way their names describe and you can’t reconfigure one section to “work like another” so to speak.
Your a genius (or at least better at English comprehension than me in my advancing years) !!!

My mind somehow glossed over RCA/XLR in the pre-amp section of (2) and focused on ALL.

So yes... you are right.. in (2) the preamp section means XLR or RCA or BOTH

Will scratch this off the list.

Nothing better in life than appearing as a fool on an Internet forum.

Peter

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like most any preamp I've had with line out I assumed the line out was fixed not variable. So what's the point of Dac mode if the line out is fixed since in dac mode only the line out works? I mean it's fixed anyway ? You can turn off everything else from the other selections? I agree this is confusing. One more rant why call this a Dac it's a preamp.

dx9_240106_082422_25.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom