• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

pacman

Does anyone use the Bluetooth connectivity? What for? Used as a desktop amp I just don't see the benefit. There are no bluetooth headphones that triumph the wired ones as far as I know.

If could be used as a receiver would be different but seems it is not.
It is a receiver.

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
Does anyone use the Bluetooth connectivity? What for? Used as a desktop amp I just don't see the benefit. There are no bluetooth headphones that triumph the wired ones as far as I know.

If could be used as a receiver would be different but seems it is not.

It's definitely a receiver. I use it to listen to podcasts off my phone.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New DAC Day!
Not much new to add other than my unboxing impressions. Unit is heavier than expected, which adds to perception of quality. Fit and finish seem excellent. Very nice boxing and presentation. Power cord impressively thick and beefy. Display has 3 brightness levels - I keep on the high setting, which is bright enough for me. All of this supports the impression of a premium quality unit.
Has worked flawlessly as expected. I’ll spare you subjective impressions of it’s chocolatey midrange and velvety highs.
No regerts <sic>.

Attachments

• 24BB12C1-FBF9-48FF-9A5A-6FCDC249B680.jpeg
    24BB12C1-FBF9-48FF-9A5A-6FCDC249B680.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 275

Damian

It's definitely a receiver. I use it to listen to podcasts off my phone.

Sorry.. I don't know when I got the idea of it being a transmitter only (I think I've read it in some post). I assume those podcasts are not available to stream it from your PC?

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
Sorry.. I don't know when I got the idea of it being a transmitter only (I think I've read it in some post). I assume those podcasts are not available to stream it from your PC?

They are, but it's way easier to just walk from my car to my office and seamlessly continue to listen to the podcast that was already playing. Plus, it means I can keep my phone's playlist intact. Oh, and listening to instagram/snapchat stories with the Stax setup feels like just the kind of overkill that is appropriate for a weirdo audiophile.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Here are my guesses:

1 is B orA and is the iphone or bluetooth receiver
2 is C and is the SMSL stack
3 is B or A and is the iphone or bluetooth receiver
4 is D and is the Topping

So, I think I got the numbers and letters paired up right, though 1 and 3 sound identical, so realistically, it's a crapshoot, I could just make a straight guess, but why bother. The levels on 2 and 4 are different than the other two, so, it made it a bit easier to match them. :) I found that I heard 4 get louder and softer than the other 3. 4 also seemed to reproduce a better timbre when it came to the cymbals, which was the detail I was most closely paying attention to. 1 and 3's cymbals sounded like impacts, 2 and 4 carried the sound through a bit more, to my ear. (There's a particular cymbal crash 39 seconds in that decays for about a quarter second longer on #4 than any of the others) My subjective opinion is that 4 was superior, and to that end, I'm giving the one that I believe had a perceivably better sound to the DAC/amp that measured better, objectively. Number 2 was louder than the others, so it was harder to tell if I enjoyed it more than 1 and 3 because it was louder or if it was actually better, but I ultimately thought 4 was better anyway. 1 and 3 are, as far as I can tell, identical.

I'm extremely interested in knowing if I actually like, for instance, the iphone's DAC, better than my own Topping! That would certainly be eye opening! It's possible that the Topping and SMSL offerings are 1 and 3, since, deductively, they are both ESS DACs while the other two have Cirrus and AK DAC chips and it's possible I simply prefer the sound of one of the others.

Either way, thanks for the distraction!

I listened to everything using VLC player through USB to a Topping DX7Pro into a ZMF Auteur via balanced 4 pin out and also through the Topping, into an Emotiva A100 to an ifi iesl to a pair of Stax 007mk2. I only heard differences in the files with the Stax setup.
As the other guy is not replying. I assume he failed the challenge.
The password is asr. You are basically correct for the sequence. But you can agree that the difference is small right?
And the models aren't necessarily correct, not far off tho. I'll wait for Oluv to reveal the answer.

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
As the other guy is not replying. I assume he failed the challenge.
The password is asr. You are basically correct for the sequence. But you can agree that the difference is small right?
And the models aren't necessarily correct, not far off tho. I'll wait for Oluv to reveal the answer.

Ludicrously small. It took a lot of effort and careful listening to hear the differences and match them. This is not typical listening conditions. Plus, only on higher end equipment. I can imagine that with a less noisy amp (or maybe an SR-009s?) that I could hear the difference more clearly, but I don't know by what degree. I'd love to have the same test done with some summit-fi DACs included, for my own edification. It's clear to me that the DAC is not the most important link in the chain for resolution (at this level) and I'm glad that I can confirm that.

I'm still very interested in knowing which is which, ultimately.

interior

To quote part of this DACs description on shenzhenaudio "If you do not need the Bluetooth input,you can completely turn it off in the menu". My question to anyone who already ownes this DAC, are you able to verifiably turn the bluetooth off?

Toku

Major Contributor
To quote part of this DACs description on shenzhenaudio "If you do not need the Bluetooth input,you can completely turn it off in the menu". My question to anyone who already ownes this DAC, are you able to verifiably turn the bluetooth off?
Shenzhen audio is correct.
Why don't you read the manual?

interior

Shenzhen audio is correct.
Why don't you read the manual?
apart from an input selection, I don't see anything in the manual to indicate the bluetooth is actually off. I was thinking that could only be determined by using a another bluetooth capable device to attempt a bluetooth pairing with the dx7

Hemi-Demon

apart from an input selection, I don't see anything in the manual to indicate the bluetooth is actually off. I was thinking that could only be determined by using a another bluetooth capable device to attempt a bluetooth pairing with the dx7

If it like the D50s, click the power button once, scroll all the way down through the menu and you should see the option to turn Bluetooth off

digicidal

Major Contributor
I've been enjoying my DX7 Pro for a few days now... very nice in nearly every way. As far as subjective audio quality I have no complaints, but I don't really have any regarding the far less (numerically at least) transparent DAC in my 8801A's or my DAC Magic V1. It's well made and looks great... but I do wish the interface was a little easier to navigate. I wish it was more like the RME DACs in that sense with separate navigation/selection controls... but considering it was slightly less than 50% of the cost - I'll accept that.

One of these days I'll get an XLR switch and try some ABX testing to see if I can tell the difference between it and my older DACs... I suspect I might but I also presume that most of what seems dramatically better to me is far less so (if at all) once blinded. All I can say for sure is that it's amazing to be able to get this level of quality for this price! Great job Topping! :)

Toku

Major Contributor
DX7Pro BT.png

dkinric

It should be noted that “keep pressing” means just hold it down and adding power means turn on the master power switch on the back. It does not mean try to plug it in with your other hand while rapidly pressing the knob on front.
Not that it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out, mind you.

interior

The manuals pdf is quite wide and I failed to realise it needed scrolling across, thus missed it. Many thanks Toku, great work.
Will wait till after christmas to see if the price comes down slightly, but then will be getting it regardless. The DACs input will be coming from a computer hopefully via usb, although running linux, means it may not be recognised. If not then via optical instead, (the source music will be 16bit 44100Hz or less, very occasionally 24bit).
The DAC will output via xlr to a pair of Neumann kh310A. I already have the monitors and they look fantastic, just a little while longer now to hear how they sound together with the DAC. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

dkinric

Check the red power voltage switch on the bottom (I think) of the unit - 110/220.

Last edited:

junk88

[, post: 283715, member: 4449"]Check the red power volyage switch on the bottom (I think) of the unit - 110/220.[/QUOTE]
I can't I'm disabled

Top Bottom