• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

August

The external digital interface does not have any audible boost in most cases.

Dride1401

If i was the run Focal Clear Pros via XLR on this would the output impedance cause an issue? Really had my eye on this to run as a combo unit and as dac to my other balanced amps

Veri

Master Contributor
If i was the run Focal Clear Pros via XLR on this would the output impedance cause an issue? Really had my eye on this to run as a combo unit and as dac to my other balanced amps
It will definitely be better matched on the SE output. Over XLR you increase the chance of 'muddying' the sound I'm afraid, due to x2 output impedance. So unless you want more bass..

Dride1401

It will definitely be better matched on the SE output. Over XLR you increase the chance of 'muddying' the sound I'm afraid, due to x2 output impedance. So unless you want more bass..
Thanks for the reply. That is a shame. I may just get another SMSL SU8 and SP200/Monolith 887 then.

Dride1401

Actually would it probably be better to get Sabaj D5 instead?

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually would it probably be better to get Sabaj D5 instead?
You could plug a low impedance amp in the DX7. D5 has no such issue so that is another option.
Or you can just use single ended on DX7 Pro which is probably fine, too. All are valid options.

Dride1401

You could plug a low impedance amp in the DX7. D5 has no such issue so that is another option.
Or you can just use single ended on DX7 Pro which is probably fine, too. All are valid options.
Will have to have a look. I was looking at either dx7 pro and d5 just because they are balanced through. Suppose I could get rhe dx7 pro and sp200

Veri

Master Contributor
Will have to have a look. I was looking at either dx7 pro and d5 just because they are balanced through. Suppose I could get rhe dx7 pro and sp200
I'm getting the sp200 myself. I will max out sp200 in low gain, and use dac+digital volume control. Seems perfect for my needs.
Any good DAC with volume control should do a fine job here.

Dride1401

I'm getting the sp200 myself. I will max out sp200 in low gain, and use dac+digital volume control. Seems perfect for my needs.
Any good DAC with volume control should do a fine job here.
Well currently I have a SMSL SU8 going to a Loxjie P20 and JDS Atom. But obviously I've maxed out the outputs on the SU8

MysterE

So I have been offered a Benchmark DAC3 HGC for the same price as the DX7 pro. What would you do?

gvl

Major Contributor
Despite the topping having 'better' measurements, would you still consider the benchmark a better device? I intend to get a THX 887 when possible too.

It may measure a tad worse, but overall it is definitely a better device. I'd probably skip the THX too and just used the Benchmark directly.

MysterE

It may measure a tad worse, but overall it is definitely a better device. I'd probably skip the THX too and just used the Benchmark directly.
I'm also interested as to why you recommend against the TXH?

Category 5

So I have been offered a Benchmark DAC3 HGC for the same price as the DX7 pro. What would you do?

Are you sure it’s a DAC 3? Even the non HGC model is three times the price of the DX7 Pro.

I’d choose the benchmark, sell it and get DX7 Pro and pocket $750.

I received mine yesterday and am impressed indeed. Even the build and stature seem to have improved. I am only using it in DAC mode so far but it’s clear that there’s not really much more to gain from a performance standpoint.

MysterE

Are you sure it’s a DAC 3? Even the non HGC model is three times the price of the DX7 Pro.

I’d choose the benchmark, sell it and get DX7 Pro and pocket $750.

I received mine yesterday and am impressed indeed. Even the build and stature seem to have improved. I am only using it in DAC mode so far but it’s clear that there’s not really much more to gain from a performance standpoint.
Yep it's a DAC 3 but the owner is a close friend of mine and would be doing me a (huge) favour! The topping's measurements intrigue me, as does the benchmark's reputation, build quality and features. I feel the topping may be more future-proof but the benchmark is a classic in the making... We're getting into subjective territory here :O

Category 5

Yep it's a DAC 3 but the owner is a close friend of mine and would be doing me a (huge) favour! The topping's measurements intrigue me, as does the benchmark's reputation, build quality and features. I feel the topping may be more future-proof but the benchmark is a classic in the making... We're getting into subjective territory here :O

I had always planned to get a DAC3, then my sights were turned to the ADI-2, and finally here. I need more time with DX7 pro, but it's clearly better than the Apollo X I have here (for which the DX7s was a basic match for).

At $1000 or less I'd get the DAC3 for sure. If it leaves you wanting more, your ears are much better than mine.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Probably Apos Audio.

But there may be others who are located nearer to you than them depending on state and stock I suppose. There is a member of the trade on this forum who carries Topping and is based in Texas. (Sorry his name escapes me at this moment. )
Is APOS Audio legit,have you used them

Top Bottom