• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Bjoran

Forum Donor
My only complaints about my DX7Pro have nothing to do with the sound.

(1) The display is very dim. Impossible to see from across the room using the remote, unlike the DX7s.
(2) The remote needs to be aimed directly at display or nothing happens (unlike the DX7s which like most devices, would work, even if the remote was bouncing IR off the walls.)

Customer service responds that this is a "feature" in that the new unit uses tempered glass to make it more high end-looking than DX7s.

However, given even the picture of the test unit here, I'm still wondering whether I got a "dim" unit. And given that the displays and/or the connection to the LCD/Oled displays are the first thing to go on chi-fi gear, I worry about long-term longevity on this one particular unit. (Note that the DX7S display is not the problem, but SMSL and NFJ/Fxaudio "meets" problems.)

So what is the feeling of other DX7Pro owners who also have DX7s -- is the display significantly more dim?

And how about the remote sensitivity -- do you have to aim directly at the unit, and if you just haphazardly point in the direction like you'd normally do, most of the time it "misses" and doesn't change...
(1) I suppose you are using the highest level of light (3 different levels) for the display? I can understand if the display looks dim in a bright room. I am using the middle level of light, that works in my room, which is quite dark, lit by a number of smaller lamps.
(2) I agree.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(1) The display is very dim. Impossible to see from across the room using the remote, unlike the DX7s.
(2) The remote needs to be aimed directly at display or nothing happens (unlike the DX7s which like most devices, would work, even if the remote was bouncing IR off the walls.)
I've noticed the same two things. But I'm getting old.

The sound is spectacular.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
On a positive note, I'm happy to see the golfing panther getting a good workout before the weekend :)

That golfing pink panther I like, best indicator of a top notch product.
Kudos to the Topping DX7 Pro DAC performance (measured) & value ($)
20191107_122046.jpg

Alou

I really like the display on the D10,they could have used something similar but i will wait untill i grab my DX7pro.
I read on another forum that in the Dx7 series some chips have heatsinks and not paste or thermal pad under them causing overheating and you shoukd opeb them and place some thermal pads under them.
Does anybody know if its the same here ?

Alou

Ok i saw i pic of the board there are no heatsinks on the DX7pro

harleyguy07

I really wanted to try this dac as the price is good and people are loving it. I am on my second one that they have sent me and I cannot get mine to power up. Both the units they sent me will not turn on at all. I have checked the voltage at the connector on the cable going into the unit and it is 122 volts. When I sent the first one back they sent me pictures with the second one of a resistor that I can remove that will not let it turn on at anything above 130 volts. I figured at 122 volts it would not matter but I got tired of messing around and went ahead and removed it. Still nothing. Any Ideas? I don't know what is going on since everyone else seems to be getting working units. There is nothing specials to turning these damn things on is there? I did not see anything in the manual or online

gvl

Major Contributor
I really wanted to try this dac as the price is good and people are loving it. I am on my second one that they have sent me and I cannot get mine to power up. Both the units they sent me will not turn on at all. I have checked the voltage at the connector on the cable going into the unit and it is 122 volts. When I sent the first one back they sent me pictures with the second one of a resistor that I can remove that will not let it turn on at anything above 130 volts. I figured at 122 volts it would not matter but I got tired of messing around and went ahead and removed it. Still nothing. Any Ideas? I don't know what is going on since everyone else seems to be getting working units. There is nothing specials to turning these damn things on is there? I did not see anything in the manual or online

How do you power it on? With remote?

harleyguy07

Turn on the master power switch, then push and hold the volume knob for a couple of seconds.
Tried that and I get a clicking like something is turning on but no display and my pc does not see it

harleyguy07

Tried that and I get a clicking like something is turning on but no display and my pc does not see it
Figure
Sounds like it is a dud. Topping reliability has been spotty.
I figured it out. They did not seat the ribbon cable into the display board right. Damn QC issues. Glad I am a audio tech and knew how to fix it

gvl

Major Contributor
I figured it out. They did not seat the ribbon cable into the display board right. Damn QC issues. Glad I am a audio tech and knew how to fix it

Are you sure you didn't get the same unit the second time?

harleyguy07

Are you sure you didn't get the same unit the second time?
Yeah they shipped the second one before i sent them the first one so there is no way. I just hope there are not any more issues. Right now have it playing and so far doing well. sounds good, wonder if it will get even better with break in

Alou

If you look at the specification of the LME49720 you can read that it easily drives a 600 ohm load:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49720.pdf
If I look further on in the specification I can see that the LME49720 is able to output a huge amount of voltage and also current in a 600 ohm load, so it should not be a problem.
Just to be sure, send an email to [email protected] and ask if it is ok with 600 ohm headphones.

I will mail them but why they advertise up to 300 ohms?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yeah they shipped the second one before i sent them the first one so there is no way. I just hope there are not any more issues. Right now have it playing and so far doing well. sounds good, wonder if it will get even better with break in

Glad you got it sorted out, and hopefully it will be a reliable unit for you. I have 3 Topping DAC's and have had no issues.

Improvement with time is unlikely... The idea of a break-in or burn-in period making things better is dubious at best... Fortunately, it's already transparent, so you should be able to just relax and enjoy your music.

Top Bottom