• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

Booker

Forum Donor
Yes, certainly with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. I just wonder if it would work along with the original dock. But according to this video, several devices in the chain do not work as intended. This combo will bring a nice but slightly pricey streamer to the office.

Booker

Forum Donor
I just purchased the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, and while connected to the DX1 and 5W Apple charger, no sound.
Basically, the DAC is not recognized by the iPhone 7.

Last edited:

ArturoKiwi

I just purchased the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, and while connected to the DX1 and 5W Apple charger, no sound.
Basically, the DAC is not recognized by the iPhone 7.
Or is the iPhone that doen't recongnize the DX1? You use iPhone as streamer, not as speaker.... I think

Booker

Forum Donor
Of course, the iPhone is a streamer, so if the DAC is detected, it will be listed in the AirPlay devices. I found a workaround: the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter is connected to the USB hub of my DELL monitor and from the hub to the DX1. The disadvantage is that the volume control on the iPhone is still active.

EDIT:
It seems that I do not remember well, because the fixed volume is most likely available in Apple Music, not in roon ARC, which I currently use as my default music player. So the variable volume on the iPhone is nothing unusual when an external DAC is connected.

Last edited:

jsz

Does anyone know the power output for 32 ohm in low gain? I know it does < 280mW on high gain, but I can't find any measurements for the alt setting.

I know it doesn't matter to many people here, but I have a specific pair of low Ohm headphone that I prefer on lower power DAC/AMP combos. Might be placebo, but this is my preference.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does anyone know the power output for 32 ohm in low gain? I know it does < 280mW on high gain, but I can't find any measurements for the alt setting.
In Low gain, the DX1 will output 0.8V or 20mW at 32Ω.
Low gain is about 40% as loud as High gain.

Last edited:

FurstMan

Hello, this Topping looks very interesting.
But will it be enough to power a Hifiman HE400SE?
I'm hesitant with the iFi Zen Air or Zen v.2 dacs... or the headphone output of my Cambridge CXA60. Thanks !

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello, this Topping looks very interesting.
But will it be enough to power a Hifiman HE400SE?
The DX1 can drive the HE400se to 112dB SPL Peak.
For reference, that's 9x as loud as my usual listening volume (80dB Peak)

FurstMan

The DX1 can drive the HE400se to 112dB SPL Peak.
For reference, that's 9x as loud as my usual listening volume (80dB Peak)
Thanks, I may already try with the headphone output of my CXA60, despite the meager information on this one maybe it will suffice. Otherwise, I would go for the DX1.

Anti3d

Linearity seems worse compared to E30 II and SMSL-D6 which uses the same AK4493s DAC. Why is that?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Linearity seems worse compared to E30 II and SMSL-D6 which uses the same AK4493s DAC. Why is that?
Simply because of noise. The DX1 has 2dB worse SNR, which reflects in the linearity, at least with the way WolfX-700 measures it.

Dynamic-Range-11 (1).jpg1663622294-Dynamic-Range.jpg
121dB - 119dB = 2dB

Linearity-20-8.jpg 1663622296-Linearity-20.jpg
112dB - 110dB = 2dB

Anti3d

Just got mine yesterday. Nothing much to say other than It's very flat. Plenty of power for my 58x even at low gain
IMG_7427.jpg

Last edited:

jsz

I got one too since it was 84.15 on Amazon w/ Prime via Shenzhen Audio for the past few days.. (I think sale ended today).

Pretty nice PC DAC. Doesn't have a ton of power at high gain, but it's perfect for my needs, especially with certain low ohm headphones on low gain.

Subjectively sounds quite good. Not harsh or anything. Can notice a slight channel imbalance, but not that big of a deal unless its super low vol.

Pancaek

Hi all. I've been shopping for a budget desktop dac/amp, since my desk/room setup makes it hard to reach the audio jack and I do like to switch regularly. The DX1 seems like a really solid option with lots of things I like: small size, volume knob, simple and robust with no unnecessary frills, measures well (if I've read this thread correctly). And it's currently on sale for 85euro again to boot.

The only thing I'm unsure about is if it will provide enough power for my headphones. My earbud collection I'm not worried about, since the impedance tends to be low and even if it's not the sensitivity is almost always very high. But I also have a pair of HD650's as my only full sized headphones.

I've read several replies in this thread that state the DX1 has enough power to get the 600-series loud. But is it able to get the entire frequency range loud? The reason I'm hesitating is because I've read several reviews/discussions on other websites that state that while the DX1 would be able to get the HD650 loud, it would hold back the bass and lower end. They claim an amp with higher power would produce more bass/a warmer sound at the same listening volume, if I've understood things right.

As you can probably tell, I'm not yet very knowledgeable on the technical side of this and I'm getting lost in the sauce a bit from reading conflicting information. So if anyone could tell me how much of what I've read is true and how much is just placebo, I'd very much appreciate it.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Pancaek wellcome to ASR. Better spend a little more and get more power for your HD650.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Pancaek I have both the HD600 and 650. Yes, the DX1 can drive both with ease, across the entire frequency range.
To be honest, so can the Apple dongle.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Pancaek I have both the HD600 and 650. Yes, the DX1 can drive both with ease, across the entire frequency range.
To be honest, so can the Apple dongle.
I'll second this. I use the Apple dongle to drive my HD 6XX with substantial EQ and it gets plenty loud for me 99% of the time

CedarX

Forum Donor
They claim an amp with higher power would produce more bass/a warmer sound at the same listening volume, if I've understood things right.
I am certainly not an expert either but have learned a few things at ASR and can comment on this point... A higher power amp does not "produce" more bass at a given listening volume. What happens is the bass are at higher levels than the rest of the frequency range on almost all the music tracks produced by humans. So, if an amp is limited in power, the bass tend to suffer first (audible distortion, or lacking altogether).

The HD650 is a high-impedance HP, but in addition, it's impedance is variable: around 320 Ohm from 1kHz to 5kHz, and as high as 480 Ohm at 100Hz. This can exacerbate the issue of an amp that is voltage-limited (and other things if the amp has a high output impedance). That being said, the HD650 is not particularly "ineficient" and it does not need very high voltage & power to produce loud levels--hence @staticV3 and @Elitzur–Vaidman comments that an Apple dongle can drive the HD650 adequately.

Going back to the DX1 question and the DX3 Pro+ recommended by @Matias:
  • The DX1 can produce 11Vpp (high Gain), which is more than enough to drive the HD650... very loud!
  • The DX3 Pro+ can produce 21.5Vpp (high Gain), which is enough to drive the HD650 to... insane levels... blow your tympans... blow the headphone... or all of these !!!

If you prefer the DX1, because it's cheaper and more compact, go for it! If you can afford the DX3 Pro+, go for it! I am sure they are both fine, but I am also confident you will hear "differences": the DX1 will sound "warmer and more rounded" because... it is compact, cute, and has an AKM chip !!!:):):) The DX3 Pro+ will sound "cleaner, more technical"... because it is more expensive, it has an ESS chip, and it's technically better !!! :cool::cool::cool:
I am sure that there won't be any difference and both are going to be "transparent"... so, go for the one that put the biggest smile on your face!

giraffe

On PC i use meizu hifi dac (not pro) with shuoer s12 and I have enough volume headroom even with equApo. If I change the dongle to dx1 will I get any change in sound quality other than extra volume headroom?
If there are the owners of dx1 and something like meizu/apple dongles, it would be interesting to read comparison and opinions. Thank you!

Top Bottom