• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quick measurement of Topping DX1 Headphone Out

Gigachad

Hey there!
I'm new here and just got into measuring myself a few weeks ago, my setup is a Cosmos ADC + APU going into REW. So don't expect perfect measuring practices, but I try my best and am willing to learn.

Edit 2: It seems L7Audiolab also measured the headphone out. My unit performs about -0.4dB better: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-dx1/
However he also found the clipping issue.

I wasn't able to dial up the volume fully, without going into heavy clipping. There is quite some range in the potentiometer left which is unusable. Just a tiny smidge of moving the volume dial moved the measurement from maximum SINAD to the Minimum Sinad.

Measurement of Headphone Out reached: -113.0 dB SINAD

You can see the difference in dial position here, the corresponding measurements in REW afterwards:

foto_no_exif.jpg
foto_no_exif(1).jpg

Topping DX1 SINAD.png

Topping DX1 SINAD higher gain.png

(First measurement was made without APU and APU compensation, as I found this displays the highest SINAD. That's why the dBFS value on the top right corner differs about 4dB, in reality the dial position change was about 0.5dB. The clipping occurs both with APU and without)

Attachments

• Topping DX1 SINAD.png
    Topping DX1 SINAD.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wolf actually measured the HP out as well, with his results confirming the clipping that you've found, but somewhat disputing the Amp being the limiting factor as even with the HP out, the DX1 reached about 114.5dB SINAD, so basically identical to the Line out:
1663622326-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level (1).jpg

OP
Gigachad

Gigachad

Wolf actually measured the HP out as well, with his results confirming the clipping that you've found, but somewhat disputing the Amp being the limiting factor as even with the HP out, the DX1 reached about 114.5dB SINAD, so basically identical to the Line out:
View attachment 284774
Huh weird, I have some error source in my measurement then. I'll put a disclaimer on my post.

OP
Gigachad

Gigachad

View attachment 284774
I found the error source and updated my post with new measurements, I forgot to high and low pass the measurement. Thank you staticV3 for the hint in the other thread! Wolfs lower measurement was 112.6 for the one channel actually, so we lose only -1.6dB over Line Out. Thats acceptable and maybe my other channel matches line out. Don't have an adapter however, so can't measure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom