• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe, I'm not sure. It was something that affected performance negatively but gave a better SINAD.
What i wrote above is an example of that. Was discussed a lot but a non issue these days (well have not seen an issue in the past 12 months)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Maybe, I'm not sure. It was something that affected performance negatively but gave a better SINAD.

Like @Music1969 says, the only option is to d¤¤k around with the in/output impedances to lower the measured noise.

Doesn't really "affect performance negatively", but simply passes the monkey to other gear in the chain.

If you're anxious, just look up the impedances in the spec sheets of your gear. Asssuming none of them are abnormal, the "SINAD cheater" very likely won't do any harm.

Last edited:

blanc

D90SE uses a switching power supply. Does it have a negative impact on sound quality?

Toku

Major Contributor
D90SE uses a switching power supply. Does it have a negative impact on sound quality?
There are no problems with recent switching power supplies. I prefer it to transformer power supplies.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Topping puts a lot of development effort into all devices with switching power supplies to ensure a very clean supply voltage.
It is difficult to achieve this with conventional power supplies, but above all it is expensive and takes up space.
I too have had to revise my opinion on this in recent years.

hwest

Topping puts a lot of development effort into all devices with switching power supplies to ensure a very clean supply voltage.
It is difficult to achieve this with conventional power supplies, but above all it is expensive and takes up space.
I too have had to revise my opinion on this in recent years.
So they got around all of these noise points with the Topping devices?
Noise-Types-Diagram-1101x393-1.jpg

Roland68

Major Contributor
So they got around all of these noise points with the Topping devices?
Noise-Types-Diagram-1101x393-1.jpg
You didn't read my signature, did you?
Because I didn't say anything like that.
If you know it so well, then take a look at it for yourself.

hwest

You didn't read my signature, did you?
Because I didn't say anything like that.
If you know it so well, then take a look at it for yourself.
I don't know it so well, I'm asking because I'm considering a purchase of a Topping DAC and realistically want to understand because in my experience Switching Power Supplies are either noise or become noisy over a short period of time. That's what I have seen in the real world but all designs are different so who knows what they have done, I guess at this point we just have to trust they have done the right thing with a known common issue.

roog

Forum Donor
Clearly tests show that that the SMPS has no adverse effect on the DAC in question and yet the audiophile forums are awash with unsubstantiated comments that SMPS affect sound quality and that even if the powered device is unaffected apparently they know that the noise from the SMPS affects other equipment in the chain.

Despite this noise being measurable, such groups never offer up any evidence, but of course they can hear it!

I am quite accepting that that a device can generate unwanted effects, but for goodness sake those making such claims should first consider presenting some facts, not asking/demanding that others simply believe their assertions.

hwest

Clearly tests show that that the SMPS has no adverse effect on the DAC in question and yet the audiophile forums are awash with unsubstantiated comments that SMPS affect sound quality and that even if the powered device is unaffected apparently they know that the noise from the SMPS affects other equipment in the chain.

Despite this noise being measurable, such groups never offer up any evidence, but of course they can hear it!

I am quite accepting that that a device can generate unwanted effects, but for goodness sake those making such claims should first consider presenting some facts, not asking/demanding that others simply believe their assertions.
They may be thinking of SMPS systems in PC's and relate to those big old things that in fact are very noisy but also very cheap unlike a well thought out design with filtering shielding and decoupling with a well throughout layout.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I don't know it so well, I'm asking because I'm considering a purchase of a Topping DAC and realistically want to understand because in my experience Switching Power Supplies are either noise or become noisy over a short period of time. That's what I have seen in the real world but all designs are different so who knows what they have done, I guess at this point we just have to trust they have done the right thing with a known common issue.

Well, old fashioned switching PSUs were noisy, but switching PSUs that "become noisy over a short period of time" are a bit of a surprise to me. I have observed audible noise in a couple of power amps with switching PSUs disappear in a few hours — and these amps had PSUs from aliexpress that were very similar, so it may have been caused by the latter.

However, I would not say that it is a "known common issue," I would say that it is a widespread audiophile myth. Moders switching PSUs are very silent, and in fact they induce less noise into the audio signal than the so-called linear PSUs.

Roland68

Major Contributor
All the problems you mention here would also be seen in the very good measurements by Amirm and many others on ASR.
You seem to forget that conventional power supplies also have their problems, e.g. interference from the transformer, 50/60 Hz mains hum, noise, etc.

With headphone amplifiers at the latest, you would hear every bit of an unclean SMPS with sensitive IEMs. And almost all well-measuring HPAs have SMPS installed.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are lots of hoary myths about the inadequacy of switching power supplies. In many cases, a well-designed SMPS can outperform a comparable power output linear supply, even in a power amp. The Benchmark AHB2 is a premier example. In the case of the D90SE, the numbers don’t lie.

hwest

There are lots of hoary myths about the inadequacy of switching power supplies. In many cases, a well-designed SMPS can outperform a comparable power output linear supply, even in a power amp. The Benchmark AHB2 is a premier example. In the case of the D90SE, the numbers don’t lie.
Funny I was just looking at the AHB2 as an AMP for my bedroom setup, I hear those are very good for the money and the only reason they are inexpensive is that they are the first and only to come with that THX certification which will at some point put them on the map I hear. I also hear they are so transparent almost to a fault is what is said about them with zero coloration, could be a a negative in some folks eyes.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny I was just looking at the AHB2 as an AMP for my bedroom setup, I hear those are very good for the money and the only reason they are inexpensive is that they are the first and only to come with that THX certification which will at some point put them on the map I hear. I also hear they are so transparent almost to a fault is what is said about them with zero coloration, could be a a negative in some folks eyes.
There is a review on ASR.

Top Bottom