• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Dgob

Has anyone found a solution to the constant optical audio dropouts with LG TVs? If not is there an audio extractor people recommend that is confirmed working?
Yes, upgrade your firmware on the D90SE to the 1.87 version. Note that the later 1.88 version does NOT work. It has to be 1.87.

I spent ages trying to resolve that exact same problem and finally tried the upgrade. Eureka!!

Good luck.

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Unfortunately I’m already on it. I’ll just try to look into an audio extractor route. Actually one of the things I liked about the d90/a90 stacks is they supported just enough inputs to cut out devices from my desk, but it looks like an hdmi extractor will be needed after all. Hopefully I can find info on one confirmed to work first
Firmware v1.88 is available. No idea if it addresses your issue, but maybe worth a try…

G-rig

Sometimes it's good not to touch the firmware for the sake of it, if your device is/was working.
causes issues sometimes but hopefully they can realease a new one again soon.

hwest

Use update 1.87 (it worked for Samsung tvs)
Many times this comes down to cable combinations. Get the shortest cable you can decent quality try a few brands, expensive doesn't mean better when it comes to cables, Maya's or some equivalent brand on both the input and output side you'll find the right combo. Amazon has some splitters that support UHD, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atoms and two models have worked for me so far on my 99UPA 86 inch 8K TV.

aphysically

Thanks all - downgrading the firmware from the 1.88 it shipped with to 1.87 fixed the audio glitches on the LG C2 optical. That saves me adding yet another device (hdmi audio extractor)

Last edited:

Asimov

Hello, I recently purchased a D90SE and am having issues with DSD playback over I2S. DSD file playback through USB is flawless.
This is how my chain looks: USB into Hermes DDC and I2S output into the D90SE's I2S input. In this manner, both PCM and DSD files playback without any distortion. However, the display only shows PCM and no bit rate when playing DSD files.
I've attempted to configure using the D90SE menu and the pin figure for Hermes DDC, but so far without success.
Please offer your thoughts.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hello, I recently purchased a D90SE and am having issues with DSD playback over I2S. DSD file playback through USB is flawless.
This is how my chain looks: USB into Hermes DDC and I2S output into the D90SE's I2S input. In this manner, both PCM and DSD files playback without any distortion. However, the display only shows PCM and no bit rate when playing DSD files.
I've attempted to configure using the D90SE menu and the pin figure for Hermes DDC, but so far without success.
Please offer your thoughts.

Maybe U need a firmware update. I found this:

Firmware

250x250_1.jpgThe I2S output is not standardized among audio manufacturers. Each manufacturer may implement it in different ways. As I hinted before, one of the motivating reasons I wanted to experiment with this particular product was its ability to utilize the Hermes' I2S outputs with my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. While the initial version of the firmware worked with PCM signals to my DAC, it did not work well with DSD files, and the other outputs on the Hermes were limited to a resolution of DSD64. Possibly the most distressing aspect of this initial firmware was the fact that it would not work with an Apple M1 computer.

After discussing the issue with Alvin Chee, the owner of Vineshine Audio and exclusive distributor of Denafrips products, I learned of a new and updated version of the firmware. While the update process was a bit more involved than other audio products I have used (and could only be accomplished with a Windows computer), the results were entirely successful. The Apple M1 issues were completely resolved. Importantly, I listened to DSD256 files over an I2S connection, which had been an option previously unavailable to me on the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

Asimov

Maybe U need a firmware update. I found this:

Firmware

250x250_1.jpgThe I2S output is not standardized among audio manufacturers. Each manufacturer may implement it in different ways. As I hinted before, one of the motivating reasons I wanted to experiment with this particular product was its ability to utilize the Hermes' I2S outputs with my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. While the initial version of the firmware worked with PCM signals to my DAC, it did not work well with DSD files, and the other outputs on the Hermes were limited to a resolution of DSD64. Possibly the most distressing aspect of this initial firmware was the fact that it would not work with an Apple M1 computer.

After discussing the issue with Alvin Chee, the owner of Vineshine Audio and exclusive distributor of Denafrips products, I learned of a new and updated version of the firmware. While the update process was a bit more involved than other audio products I have used (and could only be accomplished with a Windows computer), the results were entirely successful. The Apple M1 issues were completely resolved. Importantly, I listened to DSD256 files over an I2S connection, which had been an option previously unavailable to me on the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.
Thanks for your reply. But the Hermes DDC got the latest firmware.
I wonder if anyone here successfully playing DSD files with I2S in D90SE through a DDC like Denafrips Hermes.

wizardofoz

I tried mine with the U90 and don’t think I had any issues…but don’t use the stack now so should maybe sell it all

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping d90se + gustard h20 for active studio monitors and hd800s, yes or not?
Why not the A90 Discreet? Too many recent failures?

I'd also consider the Gustard X18 + H20 if you like Gustard. I have both the X16 and X18 and enjoy both in different systems.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Why not the A90 Discreet? Too many recent failures?
Unfortunate to hear about these failures with the A90 discrete. I have the original D90+A90 stack and it has been rock solid for me after several years, no trouble (knock on wood). The original A90 is already utterly transparent, no need for the discrete.

Just get the RME DAC, EQ for headphones is a must have.
It isn't always necessary to EQ. My preferred cans (Ultrasone Ed8 Ruth) have just the right color for me.

NPWS

Attachments

• topping d90se.PNG
    topping d90se.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 80
  • software d90se.PNG
    software d90se.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 81

Tasr

I run into mechanical problem of the rear digital rca input and the connector went loose. Can not be conneted any more. Warranty expired. The rca female part used and soldered to main board is integrated with toslink connector. The female rca part is very inferor low quality and can only be replaced with same integrated part.

Replacing is not easy due to the mechanical front plate has been connected in a crazy way to the box. Front plate mount hex scews are INSIDE the box. When you open the back plate the connector cable from front plate to main board is too short and will Get detached when takng the main board out from case . Problem is reconnecting the short display cable back to front display connector. Removing front plate requires very long non standard ultra slim hex screwdriver that the front plate can be opened.

The unit mechanics have been very badly designed for internal hw service operations. Otherise nice product that measures well, but above is bad.

Or who can recommend with tool hyperlink to the hex (1.5) screwdiver or similar very long (~ 200 mm) shallow tool that i can remove the dac front plate srew inside for the reassembly of the display cable?

Last edited:
Top Bottom