• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 7.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.3%

• Total voters

welwynnick

Forum Donor
What's wrong with this forum?
Is it going the same way as the AVS viper's nest?
You complain when someone produces equipment with low SINAD.
You complain when someone produces equipment with high SINAD.
I was hoping for better.

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
I was hoping for better.
I don't think anybody's complaining because the equipment has high SINAD, they're just looking for better/expanded functionality.

D

Deleted member 21114

I was hoping for better.
Topping has eliminated THD&N (and linearity etc.) as far as humans are concerned. Why keep paying engineers to solve a problem that is solved? To keep at the top of the ASR SINAD chart? It's valuable exposure but it's a pity the engineers aren't working on something that could tangibly improve the DAC.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping has eliminated THD&N (and linearity etc.) as far as humans are concerned. Why keep paying engineers to solve a problem that is solved? To keep at the top of the ASR SINAD chart? It's valuable exposure but it's a pity the engineers aren't working on something that could tangibly improve the DAC.
Why 'smartphone' companies release every new flagship model every year? They are basically the same.

I'll give you small hint, it's called business.

delta76

Major Contributor
Why 'smartphone' companies release every new flagship model every year? They are basically the same.

I'll give you small hint, it's called business.
there are perceivable improvements in those new phones. "Worth it" is subjective, but many people using 2022 or earlier phones find reasons to upgrade.
there are no perceivable improvements in this DAC (compared to DAC that 1/2 or less of its price)

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
there are perceivable improvements in those new phones. "Worth it" is subjective, but many people using 2022 or earlier phones find reasons to upgrade.
there are no perceivable improvements in this DAC (compared to DAC that 1/2 or less of its price)
Oh there are improvements.
For example better remote, trigger outs/ins. Different look
So?
As I said for some it's worth it for some it is not.
That's how it is, everything is based on consumption - not that I personally like it, it is how it is.

beagleman

Major Contributor
If one is only chasing numbers, I guess Excellent for sure..,,,,,

Performance= Excellent:)

Value = Incredibly poor:facepalm:

nagster

Purely out of interest, does anyone know whether Topping have stuck with a linear PS for the D90 III, or have they gone over to an SMPS, like many of their other DACs?

Mani.
D90SE was SMPS. I looked at the back panel of the D90iii and it looks like an SMPS.

Attachments

• Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC USB Sabre Review.jpg
    Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC USB Sabre Review.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 83

delta76

Major Contributor
Oh there are improvements.
For example better remote, trigger outs/ins. Different look
So?
As I said for some it's worth it for some it is not.
That's how it is, everything is based on consumption - not that I personally like it, it is how it is.
improved compare to Topping D70 Pro Sabre ?

nagster

I believe 123dB is the limit of APx555 that Amir owns, their own measurements - assumedly with newer version of AP shows 128dB, so they do make improvements (but only marginally and it does not really matter at this point). they are trying to compete in the "higher" end market and need something to show for it. Whether that justifies a new DACs, and a higher price tag, is up to debate of course.
Since the measurement conditions are different between Amirm and TOPPING, the measurement results will also be different.
・No weighting and A weighting
・~22.4kHz and ~20kHz
・4V and 5V
etc.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
improved compare to Topping D70 Pro Sabre ?
But for example someone has Topping A90d and wants dac that has the same styling.
So for him it could be worth the extra money.
Never judge people choices by your own view.
Try to look wider/deeper. People are different have different goals etc.
Hope that helps.

delta76

Major Contributor
But for example someone has Topping A90d and wants dac that has the same styling.
So for him it could be worth the extra money.
Never judge people choices by your own view.
Try to look wider/deeper. People are different have different goals etc.
Hope that helps.
that is the problem, you have to find a very niche customer base for this DAC to make senses. this is exactly we are talking about.
We want to see products that make senses to a broader audience. With prices that are reasonable. Features that are actually useful. And customer service that is actually helpful

delta76

Major Contributor
Since the measurement conditions are different between Amirm and TOPPING, the measurement results will also be different.
・No weighting and A weighting
・~22.4kHz and ~20kHz
・4V and 5V
etc.
yeah that was pointed out to me. I missed out the "A-weighting" part

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
that is the problem, you have to find a very niche customer base for this DAC to make senses. this is exactly we are talking about.
We want to see products that make senses to a broader audience. With prices that are reasonable. Features that are actually useful. And customer service that is actually helpful
I can agree with customer support.
But rest... it's called free market ;)

I found very interesting that on ASR a lot of members (not talking to you but generally) have problem with prices of the products.
, and like to make fun (mocking or even call stupid) of people spending a lot of money on their equipment.
It;s funny how for example on head-fi it's quite the opposite.
Extremes are always bad.

delta76

Major Contributor
I can agree with customer support.
But rest... it's called free market ;)

I found very interesting that on ASR a lot of members (not talking to you but generally) have problem with prices of the products.
, and like to make fun (mocking or even call stupid) of people spending a lot of money on their equipment.
It;s funny how for example on head-fi it's quite the opposite.
Extremes are always bad.
1. exactly - it's free market and we are also free to criticize products that do not make senses in our view
2. also exactly - we think the price of this product does not make a lot of senses. Just like many things in audio world. One good thing about ASR is that we have esteemed members who point out better options for beginners. You want to buy this, fine, nobody will go out of their way to stop you, but there are "make more senses" products out there. It will be a failure on ASR to not pointing that out.
3. I don't see that, if you see some bullying behaviors please report to the mods - they are very active and helpful. At least they will intervene to set the attitude straight

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'd assume because for that kind of money you could build a small form factor computer and put PEQ software on it and have it feed a cheap audibly transparent dac.

with the proper compontents the pc will give you more possible inputs, and outputs.
Actually, I have an RPi running Volumio into a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, which works very well. The music is on a NAS, accessible to any device in the house. I doubt that I would hear any difference with something SOTA but there is always that lingering doubt. *If* I wanted to spend a lot more, then the RME is an obvious replacement for the Pro-Ject. I can't see any need for another computer.

Sokel

Master Contributor
A friend here told he bought eleven (11) DACs at the 100-1100 euro price range the last 3 years and they all sound the same.
What's sad is that even last year's DACs at this price range have literally no reselling value,at all, after this race.

And it makes sense,who would pay 400-500 for an 800 euro last year's DAC when it's (inaudible) performance is lower than a 200 euro one?
They even look alike!

Now tell me about cost through time,which is the only meaningful metric.

Top Bottom