• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Gavin

Here are too many people who come from Topping, or helping Topping sales. Save your time and money, stay away from Chinese products. We just want to enjoy music quietly.

auronthas

I can remember several years ago ifi had the same kinds of pops and if memory is good they just added a very small amount of zero output prior to playback of the files... ???

Is that why I hear no sound for first two second from iFi iDSD BL on first track ?

zskyper

very interesting discussion about the implementation and the interpretation of the DoP specs... here, we use a custom version of the kernel which allow DSD native (but unfortunatly not working well on XMOS XU216).

good news for D90 MQA /XMOS XU216 DAC owners using MPD audio server on Raspberry PI (should work on x86 platform as well), I have a workaround for you ;)

the combo MPD v0.20.23 and linux kernel 4.19.64-v7+ seems to work fine

2020-06-good_for_d90mqa.jpg

tested on different distros but I recommend moodeaudio v6.0.0 with DoP and patch UAC2 and ETH0 activated

https://github.com/moode-player/moode/releases/tag/r600prod

2020-06-moode_v6_good_for_d90mqa.jpg

2020-06-moode_v6_mpd_good_for_d90mqa.jpg

Hope this helps!

zskyper

Unfortunately Moode is not the best sounding option, Album Player for Linux is much better

ah ah ah!!!! oh yes bying an analysis.plus cable at $1750 is producing a better sound than a mogami at $50! :)

moodeaudio and all distro using MPD audio server are a simple controller, nothing to do with audio, oh yes they all provide a local UI but we don't care about it as with have MPD clients to remote control the MPD server audio... I recommend moodeaudio because it's a quick and easy to use package to get a descent audio server in almost 10mn. That's it!

zskyper

Can you give a general (i.e. non OS-specific) explanation of the problem and its solution?

unfortunately not so easy .... this seems to be related to the implementation of the detection of the native DSD format ... so I suppose that the old combo kernel version / MPD server does not have native DSD management and the problem is solved by using this old server in combination with the DoP which literally incorporates the DSD stream into a PCM which gives the DAC that support DSD a opportunity to identify in the header of the PCM data the DSD format and play it as pure DSD. So ultimately, we have no quality loss and obviously no conversion from DSD to PCM. I admit that this is not a particular detailed answer but I give the opportunity to the audio engeenier here to complete this explanation ...;)

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So am I reading this correctly? You work around the issue by using DSD over PCM (DoP) transmission instead of pure DSD?

That ain't going to leave the “true believers” awfully happy :cool:

zskyper

So am I reading this correctly? You work around the issue by using DSD over PCM (DoP) transmission instead of pure DSD?

That ain't going to leave the “true believers” awfully happy :cool:

:)

in fact the D90 MQA implementation is good as it detects perfectly the DSD inside the PCM stream so the combination of (old) audio server software that do not take into account the native DSD in favor of the DoP and the D90 MQA is finally a perfect solution! :)
I remind them the drawback using DoP vs native is that limits rate but DSD512 are playing nicely on the D90 MQA cartainly due to the XMOS usb management, so no worry about. The other disadvantage is obviously the old servers do not have the tidal, qobuz and other jokes (I think spotify is supported by moodeaudio if Bluetooth is activated but don't know and don't care). I still recommend the D90 Standard! :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there are many other worthy options, AQ is an example of an uncompromising solution ... which solution suits me, I pointed out

Let's play one of my favorite childhood games: Which one doesn't belong?
  1. $50 Raspberry Pi streamer
  2. $650 Audioquest Diamond USB cable
  3. $600 Topping D90 DAC
For that $650 I'd rather buy a $6 Amazon Basics USB cable, $8 Amazon Basics XLR cables, a Topping A90 headphone amp and have enough change for a decent meal.

Martin

zskyper

3. $600 Topping D90 DAC
For that $650 I'd rather buy a $6 Amazon Basics USB cable, $8 Amazon Basics XLR cables, a Topping A90 headphone amp and have enough change for a decent meal.

Martin

totally agree with your idea behind this, but not relevant for those who need a DAC and not only an AMP and also don't care about headphone! :)
+you're cheating the price of the A90 is not in the shopping list! :)

Personally I recommend this shopping list to connect to your power amp+speakers :
1 RPI 3B+ $50 (complete pkg with 3A power supply)
1 D90 Std $600 (usb cable is included)
2 Amazon Basics XLR $8x2

;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
  3. $600 Topping D90 DAC

Martin

Or use the $00s left after the basic cable to fund a few years of lossless streaming service AND Roon/ player software of choice including EQ!

dixter

you guys do know that you get FREE streaming service while using Jriver... actually the best deal for Windows based software playback around...

dixter

Is that why I hear no sound for first two second from iFi iDSD BL on first track ?
I'm not sure how to answer your question... that firmware was a couple years ago and it was around the same time they put MQA on their products... I just remember hearing the pops and they released a firmware that fixed the pops while at the same time adding MQA... it worked though and a very nice DAC/AMP..... one of my favorites...

Veri

Master Contributor
it doesn’t interest me, I’m interested in whether the D90 MQA and Pi4 can work stably on a Linux player
Whether it interests you or not, you were mistaken in what you wrote, yes? The gustard is not XMOS-based at all.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
there are many other worthy options, AQ is an example of an uncompromising solution ... which solution suits me, I pointed out
But what does a competent £10-£20 (Lets even say £50) USB cable compromise on that the AQ or other "uncompromising" solution doesn't ? Just seeking to understand the mindset of paying as much for your cable as your DAC

Top Bottom