• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

GeorgeWalk

I have little trust in online reviews, my opinion is based on personal experience and the experience of people I know well
So why are you here? That is a review done by this site's resident expert. You don't need any advise from here; your experience and friends are enough.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have little trust in online reviews, my opinion is based on personal experience and the experience of people I know well
This is an science forum. What you wrote there holds little value, people you know well, does not mean much to anyone else now does it.

take a cable sample in the store nearest you (for 2 weeks, this is possible in us) and draw all the conclusions for yourself

:facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
take a cable sample in the store nearest you (for 2 weeks, this is possible in us) and draw all the conclusions for yourself

What difference did you notice, and how did you test this?

Rover

Maybe there is a forum in order to share their diverse experiences.Is this a democracy or not?;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! Tell me, I want to use the Raspberry Pi 4 via USB for the D90 MQA version, will I have problems with cotton in active monitors?

This was your original question? Means nothing to me , not sure who it will mean anything to. Cotton?

dixter

isn't cotton used in active monitors for dampening or are they using a different material these days....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
isn't cotton used in active monitors for dampening or are they using a different material these days....

No idea, but even so, link to a Pi4 to D90 connection?

Edit : Ohhhh, the pops!!

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some dude on Head Fi claimed the D90 is “...a basic (not optimized) implementation of the 4499 chip to reach a certain price point.” This is as ridiculous as it sounds, right?

Gavin

Some dude on Head Fi claimed the D90 is “...a basic (not optimized) implementation of the 4499 chip to reach a certain price point.” This is as ridiculous as it sounds, right?
So, what do you fell about using D90?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what do you fell about using D90?
I don’t have a D90. I wanted to get others opinions about what an “optimized” versus non-optimized implementation of a DS chip means, if anything.

dixter

would need better clarification of what exactly he was trying to say.... I'm sure there are options available that may or may not be utilized in a design but the over all DAC conversion is what counts... can you post a link...

bahamot

Lol, based on what did he say that?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Simply false. If he thinks "optimization" is needed, let him make a better one to compete. And let's see how that one measures if that one ever gets released. I don't design DACs so I don't shit on other dacs.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thoughts (for what they are worth) are that the Modius>D90>D70 based on price alone. The way I see it is that in the Modius you have an older (cheaper) DAC chip that Jason and Mike took and maximized its performance and sold it at the amazing price of $200. The D90 is a basic (not optimized) implementation of the 4499 chip to reach a certain price point. If some other company would come out with a maximized implementation of the 4499 chip then perhaps it would have a better overall sound. Who knows. This Modius really is a steal. I compared the Modius to the D90 and really couldn't tell much of a difference. I felt the modius sounded better overall but in a blind test could I tell a difference? Doubt it, its that close. I used the same amp (THX789) at the same volume level and just swapped the XLR's between DACS. Input is Unison USB. The D90 was in pure DAC mode with Filter 1 same as you. The D70 I thought sounded good but soft, didn't really hit all that hard. If your satisfied with it, that's all that counts. As far as Schitt's stuff, I do prefer the DACS more than the amps. I have had a magni 2, magni 3, Jotunheim, Lyr3 and a Vali2. Combo I liked the most was the Vali 2 with the Modi Multibit. I like the THX789 just because it doesnt impart any more confusion into the chain, doesnt have a sound of its own. I prefer my DACS to be on the slightly warm side of neutral and my amp just "amps it up" and sends it to my headphones which I can further tailor to the sound I like. Schitts amps do have a tendency to be non-neutral which I don't like (just my preference).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-modius-discussion-199-balanced-ak4493-dac.933895/page-12

Gavin

Measuring data and musicality are two different things.
In any machine where the 4499 chip is placed, the measurement data will not be bad.

VeerK

The measurements speak for themselves so I don’t get it, we are at -120dB SINAD, well beyond inaudibility. Jitter is well managed in USB and SPDIF, clock seems to be tight, no temperature dependence. What would “optimization” even look like?

Top Bottom