• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi I do not know of any dac with multiple usb input. Thats why I would like to see more usb inputs on a dac. I use the usb input of the topping for my audio pc. But will soon get the Shanling Et3 and would like to connect it also to the dac using in the usb input.
Using the coax output from the Shanling to your DAC will not produce an audible difference.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi I do not know of any dac with multiple usb input. Thats why I would like to see more usb inputs on a dac. I use the usb input of the topping for my audio pc. But will soon get the Shanling Et3 and would like to connect it also to the dac using in the usb input.
Some type of USB switch could deal with that?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Best thing I can say is to try to find one of the SMSL X-USB and then output from that with IIS or Coax (what I used) as a second USB.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed I all ready bought one. But would prefer switching by remote instead of manual. Als bought some AES cables.
Nothing wrong with AES; just a balanced version of digital coax. Probably best for situations where the DAC is remote from the source.

Cosmas

You might want to check out the Urd. It has two USB inputs: https://www.schiit.com/products/urd

Cosmas

Also, I'm extremely curious to hear what you think of the Shanling ET3, as I'm thinking of getting one. If anyone else has any experience with one I'd love to hear from you as well.
I want something well made that won't break easily and of course am very intrigued about the good connectivity it has.

eduardw

Forum Donor
The Et3 is connected and playing music :).

The cheap usb switch https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B074TYDJK2/ref=pe_28126711_487805961_TE_item?th=1 did not work. No fault to the ET3. When I put the switch between the topping and my pc. The sound was not okay some kind of distortion. I have some new usb cables will test later.
I connected the ET3 for now with a AES calbe to my topping DAC will later test USB and also I2S waiting on cables.

The player works fine, but the Eddict app is not perfect. But after some trial and error.
I can now play CD's (easy)
play music for connected usb drive (controlled by the app)
play music from network using dlna (controlled by the app)

The Eddict app does not always see the files in playlist is shared using a upnp/dlna option in foobar2000.
Also the Eddict app does not always see the Et3 as a render to play music through. Going from one folder to the other will some time refresh the app.

There is no usb at the front for easy switching the usb sticks. But a simple usb hub fixed that. Als did not found the option in the app yet to scan a new connected usb drive. The option is on the ET3 itself.
Also there is no app for chrome book. Will later try if there is a app for tablets.

Did not do any comparison between my Htpc or my sony xa 50 es cd transport.

eduardw

Forum Donor
That why i also wrote that is could be a subtle difference in volume. Or just no difference. But technical the I2S interface is bit different then the AES.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That why i also wrote that is could be a subtle difference in volume. Or just no difference. But technical the I2S interface is bit different then the AES.
I encourage experimentation, it’s how we learn.

But, it’s also highly unlikely that the I2S would be audibly distinguishable from the AES cable (or even the digital coax) given the performance of this DAC, unless something were broken.

Ro808

3 ports:
technics-SL-G700M2.jpg
technics-SL-G700M2.2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom