• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Snafu

Pity it doesn't have a "proper" volume control.
Personally I would never buy an item with up/down buttons for level control however good the performance.

Toppings remote RC15 is pretty good to use, it's light and has precise buttons.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Can't you use the volume control on D90 with the arrows or the remote? That's what I would do. Pre-amps are kinda overrated (in most cases).
Some people are just too obsessed with those noise floor measurements but remember, the audio files also have their own noise floor. As long as your speakers/headphones are not sensitive enough to make the DAC's noise floor higher than the audio files' noise floor, there is nothing to worry about.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... so why ppl keep comparing current $600 product with a $1000 product. Weird :/
Isn't that the entire purpose of this site? To compare performance and see where a price premium is justified, or not?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Some people are just too obsessed with those noise floor measurements but remember, the audio files also have their own noise floor. As long as your speakers/headphones are not sensitive enough to make the DAC's noise floor higher than the audio files' noise floor, there is nothing to worry about.
You should not compare to the audio file. The attenuation is decoupled from the music. Meaning you can mute the audio and still be hearing the noise. Though the noise is small.

What you should be looking at is the absolute sound level that's coming from the dac noise, through the amp and transducer and room(if). If this level is lower than 0dbspl it's not audible.

bennetng

Major Contributor
You should not compare to the audio file. The attenuation is decoupled from the music. Meaning you can mute the audio and still be hearing the noise. Though the noise is small.

What you should be looking at is the absolute sound level that's coming from the dac noise, through the amp and transducer and room(if). If this level is lower than 0dbspl it's not audible.
That's exactly what I mean. As long as the digital attenuation is not large enough to reveal the DAC's noise floor, there is nothing to worry about.

Veri

Master Contributor
That's exactly what I mean. As long as the digital attenuation is not large enough to reveal the DAC's noise floor, there is nothing to worry about.
Which in a modern 32-bit DAC is pretty much a non-issue :) I love digital attenuation!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't you use the volume control on D90 with the arrows or the remote? That's what I would do. Pre-amps are kinda overrated (in most cases).
But what if you have to turn down the volume very quickly, when someone enters the room to ask something, for instance?

cryptout

I'm also a big fan of digital volume. I have my Atom amp at 3 o'clock and only touch it to shutdown. I use the remote of my D50s to handle the volume and yeah the mute button works really nice.

veeceem

My DX7 Pro has a volume knot and a remote which I rarely touch :/ laptop on -> dx7 pro auto on -> play music then amp also auto on. Sit on chair, use phone, pick song, and close eyes.
I use foobar2000 and foobar2000 controller, which can remotely turn off laptop, so I just walk away when no longer listening to music. Only press 1 button on laptop for every listening section.
Oh, and Bluetooth can also wake the Topping up on-connect.

Svperstar

The last "DAC" I bought with an audible noise floor is a SoundBlaster Live in 1999.

I saw a video from a guy who workes for Creative saying people come up to him all the time furious that the Soundblaster Live Value they bought in 1999 doesn't have proper Window 10 support. Like come on bro its time to move on .

Tom C

Major Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Toppings remote RC15 is pretty good to use, it's light and has precise buttons.
Does it have a rotary volume control on the remote?
Very few remotes do and I HATE up/down buttons with a deep and intense loathing.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
@amirm looks like you may have to get into BT testing. I'm sure AP will be able to hook you up with a nice inexpensive module...
A lot of guys are using Bluetooth streaming. I +1 on seeing BT measurements @amirm

Top Bottom