• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

migo77

Depends, I'm assuming you've found a file that fully expands to 176 or 192? The dac needs to be full mqa decoder, not just renderer and the software on the playing device needs to be properly set up (something like "pass undecoded file to dac" or similar in settings)
Thank you, yes file played can on my Gustard X26PRO unfold to full 192k but on D70s display is always only 96k. Streaming device is USB connected LG V40 with Tidal app or UAPP app. I cant find why it wont surpass 96k displayed. :(

migo77

Factory reset solved my issue with MQA freq. displaying. Now it works fine with UAPP. Thank you for your input.

signal-2022-04-15-153355.jpeg

migo77

Unfortunately it behaves unpredictable :( Some songs are correctly displayed some get stuck at 48k. Is it normal for this DAC or is this unit defective? THX!

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To my ear the best sound on d70s I achieved when Raspberry Pi4B is doing upsampling (in volumio) to 32bits/384kHz via USB. So I have upsampling "on". It's so magically pure and milky analog smooth.
Is it possible to use that upsampling mode in Tidal HiFi Plus (MQA)?
I want to try Tidal again but hasitating between HiFi (without MQA, 1411 kbits/s) and Hifi Plus (with MQA, 9216 kbit/s ).
I used tidal on moon mind streamer when there was no MQA yet few years ago. I was pleased with quality then.

DHT 845

I decided to go with Tidal no MQA. I just love the sound of d70s via USB from Raspberry 4B. I do not miss Simaudio Moon Mind streamer at all, actually I find Raspberry sounds slightly better.

DHT 845

caccarot81

Hi Guys,I've a question:Is Possible To use D70s with NOS?Is there the option to turn off oversampling by selecting the various filters?
Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Guys,I've a question:Is Possible To use D70s with NOS?Is there the option to turn off oversampling by selecting the various filters?
Thanks
Super Slow, filter 5, is close if not the same as zero order hold/ 'NOS' i.e. no filter.

caccarot81

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand any graphs.
How should these curves be interpreted?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
#1 & #3 = properly implemented filters
#2, #4, & #5 = NOS-like filters

Properly implemented filters minimize ultrasonic aliasing artifacts.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Use 1 or 3 and be happy. If you really want to see if there is a difference, make a loop of 30 secs of a recording and have a friend quickly change (sometimes not actually changing) the filter settings and play the loop again with you blindfolded. Note down if you hear a change with the filter swap (and if you preferred any) then compare notes with the friend who logged which filter was on for which run of the loop.

I could see in edge cases people with great hearing and a set up that can deliver well extended treble at high levels being able to discern (say) 1 from 5 but even then the differences cant be huge

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm actually thinking of selling my D70s. It's a great DAC performance-wise, but I don't think it makes much audible difference for me.

I have a 20-year old Bryston DAC and a 2 year old Schiit Modi 3 and I can't really tell the difference in blind listening. I mostly listen to 44.1K/16-bit files over Thiel CS6 speakers using RCA digital input. I have a BluDento that does equally well for Bluetooth. I can fool myself into thinking I hear a difference with sighted listening, mostly because I want to like the D70s more. It does look more interesting than the BluDento, though.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm actually thinking of selling my D70s. It's a great DAC performance-wise, but I don't think it makes much audible difference for me.

I have a 20-year old Bryston DAC and a 2 year old Schiit Modi 3 and I can't really tell the difference in blind listening. I mostly listen to 44.1K/16-bit files over Thiel CS6 speakers using RCA digital input. I have a BluDento that does equally well for Bluetooth. I can fool myself into thinking I hear a difference with sighted listening, mostly because I want to like the D70s more. It does look more interesting than the BluDento, though.
Before I write up a "for sale" sign, there has been an interesting development. I just ordered my first MQA encoded CD. The D70s has MQA decoding which I have not tried with streaming, but I am curious to give a shot with a spinning CD. Will make for an evening or so of comparison between the MQA and standard playback. For some reason, MQA on CD had not occurred to me as "a thing".

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang. I purchased a MQA-spiced version of Patricia Barber's "Clique!" on CD from Elusive Disc last week to see if the D70s could detect MQA in the SPDIF stream from a CD player. It cannot. I imagine I'd have to use USB for that, but there was palpable disappointment. The CD over 44.1K PCM still sounds great, but nothing extra there for having MQA encoding on this disc.

Top Bottom