• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

nimar

Forum Donor
Digital volume attenuation is not the same as a preamp. Yes, it lowers the voltage, but it doesn't sound as well as good headphone amp pre-outs. However reviewers such as Sandu from soundnews noticed D70S works very well as a preamp with speakers.

I understand the benefit of distortion+volume attenuation of an analogue pre amp vs only volume attenuation of a digital preamp. Though those are probably fighting words that one sounds better. The distortion is already way below hearing so not an issue either way.

My concern is that my amp is a purifi eval1 I built and according to the review it goes to max volume with only 1.5 volts (I haven’t been able to test as waiting on passive speaker delivery). So with 5v at 0db, it will be running rather low for normal listening. I guess as the toppings have half steps all the way to -100db it should work fine.

Noob

I understand the benefit of distortion+volume attenuation of an analogue pre amp vs only volume attenuation of a digital preamp. Though those are probably fighting words that one sounds better. The distortion is already way below hearing so not an issue either way.

My concern is that my amp is a purifi eval1 I built and according to the review it goes to max volume with only 1.5 volts (I haven’t been able to test as waiting on passive speaker delivery). So with 5v at 0db, it will be running rather low for normal listening. I guess as the toppings have half steps all the way to -100db it should work fine.
Ouch, to bring your Vrms down to 1.5 from the 5V maximum would loose a good amount of SINAD, but it's already so high that it can afford to lose 10.5dB and still be very transparent.

nimar

Forum Donor
Ouch, to bring your Vrms down to 1.5 from the 5V maximum would loose a good amount of SINAD, but it's already so high that it can afford to lose 10.5dB and still be very transparent.

Considering it goes from 5v -> 4v with -1.5db and its not a linear relationship, and Amir's measurements were at 4v (so already attenuated) I reckon its not worth worrying about.

Noob

Considering it goes from 5v -> 4v with -1.5db and its not a linear relationship, and Amir's measurements were at 4v (so already attenuated) I reckon its not worth worrying about.
You misread his post. He didn't write 1.5dB. He wrote "1.5volts". That is -10.5dB.

nimar

Forum Donor

Noob

boblo

Hi guys,

Simple question:
D90 or D70s? Please note that I don't want the SU-9 again; I had it and returned it due to quality issues.

I currently have a D90 (non MQA version) and there are no complaints so far, save for the display (more later). I like very much its sound, it's marvellous. But I would like to test the D70s because it seems to have a bit warmer sound (and I prefer that). However, I'm concerned about the SPDIF jitter, because I have a CD Player connected to the optical input of D90 and I'm very happy with it. Would I notice any degradation with my CD player when connected to the D70s?

So do you recommend to try the D70s or stick with my current D90? I have the standard version, but if D70s is inferior, I would replace my current D90 with the MQA version to enjoy my Tidal Hi-Fi subscription.

Regarding the display: I can stand the ugly font, but please @SHENZHENAUDIO remove the minus sign in a next firmware update when the D90/D70s is in Preamp mode and volume is set to max. No one had noticed? The number -0.0 is WRONG, that does not exist, the right number is 0.0 or 0 (dB). The Gustard X16 and many others show properly this (0 or 0.0), but I have realized that many Topping DACs have this odd behaviour.

Thanks

Noob

Hi guys,

Simple question:
D90 or D70s? Please note that I don't want the SU-9 again; I had it and returned it due to quality issues.

I currently have a D90 (non MQA version) and there are no complaints so far, save for the display (more later). I like very much its sound, it's marvellous. But I would like to test the D70s because it seems to have a bit warmer sound (and I prefer that). However, I'm concerned about the SPDIF jitter, because I have a CD Player connected to the optical input of D90 and I'm very happy with it. Would I notice any degradation with my CD player when connected to the D70s?

So do you recommend to try the D70s or stick with my current D90? I have the standard version, but if D70s is inferior, I would replace my current D90 with the MQA version to enjoy my Tidal Hi-Fi subscription.

Regarding the display: I can stand the ugly font, but please @SHENZHENAUDIO remove the minus sign in a next firmware update when the D90/D70s is in Preamp mode and volume is set to max. No one had noticed? The number -0.0 is WRONG, that does not exist, the right number is 0.0 or 0 (dB). The Gustard X16 and many others show properly this (0 or 0.0), but I have realized that many Topping DACs have this odd behaviour.

Thanks
With the levels shown in the measurement, I doubt you would notice any jitter issue unless you have some really amazing golden ears and an extremely revealing speaker and/or headphone system. And even then, it's questionable if it would be at enough of a level to notice when you weren't listening extremely carefully and concentrating very hard to hear it.

I think it doesn't hurt to try something. With Apos or Amazon you can always return it if you don't like it. It does have all the same features plus the addition of MQA if you ever decide you want to use that in the future. I say give it a shot, and return it if you are unsatisfied with it.

htleetw

I have AUNE S6(DAC+headphone amp) and Nuforce STA120(speaker amp). There is obvious annoying hump(?) noise when I connect STA120 to S6's RCA output. I am not sure if matching issue causes it. I try to get a new DAC for STA120.

The spec I can get of STA120 is:
Sensibility 1Vrms
SNR 115dB
(I can't fine its input impedence.)

The spec of S6
XLR/RCA:
Frequency response: ±0.4dB(20Hz to 20kHz) Dynamic range: 116Db SNR: 115dB
THD+N: 0.0008%@1KHz Stereo crosstalk: -132dB
Output amplitude RCA: 2Vrms XLR:4Vrms

I prefer DAC with bluetooth and better both RCA & XLR output so that I can connect to STA120 & another headphone amp.
Topping D50S, D70S; SMSL SU-9, M200
which will match well(no noise) with STA120?

Appreciated!!

Rantenti

Hello all, I'd like to connect the D70s directly to a pair of Neumann KH 80 DSP active speakers which only accept XLR input, with stated maximum input: +24 dBu for 94 dB SPL setting/ +18 dBu for 100 dB SPL setting/ +10 dBu for 108 dB SPL setting/ +4 dBu for 114 dB SPL setting.

Can the speakers take the 5V XLR output without clipping or damage?

Thanks!

Last edited:

xmal

Hello Forum, Just ordered a D70s and A90. Looking forward to listening to them and I will keep you posted on my impressions.

Noob

Hello all, I'd like to connect the D70s directly to a pair of Neumann KH 80 DSP active speakers which only accept XLR input, with stated maximum input: +24 dBu for 94 dB SPL setting/ +18 dBu for 100 dB SPL setting/ +10 dBu for 108 dB SPL setting/ +4 dBu for 114 dB SPL setting.

Can the speakers take the 5V XLR output without clipping or damage?

Thanks!
5vrms is about +16dBu.

As long as you have the right setting, you should be fine.

I've had the d70s for a few days now, and I like it. My only complaint is that I have problems connecting via Bluetooth. Everything else about it is great.

nimar

Forum Donor
A90/D70s came today, D70s went to the living room, this stack in my office for headphones / active monitors. The D70s being a bit larger is a better fit alongside power amps.

Biggest problem now is keeping the volume down. Going from Medium -> High gain at the same volume just makes it all sound better, far more fun than just turning the volume up.

Its interesting that the D70s actually makes better use of the remote, and has extra features like auto turning the screen off. Would be nice if topping added this to the D90 via a firmware update?
dacamp.jpeg

nimar

Forum Donor
Anyone else experience a loud popping noise when the D70s has power cut to it (Didn't happen on the d90). I have it on a smart plug, don't see why it should suck 2.7W just sitting there, so turn the power off when not in use. If the amps go off first this is fine, but with HomeKit automations its clever and turns them off at the same time. This is with balanced connections.

Noob

5vrms is about +16dBu.

As long as you have the right setting, you should be fine.

I've had the d70s for a few days now, and I like it. My only complaint is that I have problems connecting via Bluetooth. Everything else about it is great.
Turns out the Bluetooth thing was user error. It actually connects very easily and is stable. No complaints. Five stars.

Rantenti

So impressed with the excellent measurements. I have shortlisted my new DAC choices to either the Topping D70s and the Gustard A18. Have also read some reviews about the sound of both.

I wonder which DAC will complement my ifi iDSD Signature better. I'm leaning slightly towards the D70s despite the lower grade chip as it has a less similar sound character to the iDSD Signature. It also allows use selection of XLR out/ RCA out/ Both out, which I didn't find (or missed) in the Gustard A18 spec.

Last edited:

boblo

Hello Forum, Just ordered a D70s and A90. Looking forward to listening to them and I will keep you posted on my impressions.
Finally, I have ordered a D70s too because the Gustard X16 is not available in my country and I am doubtful about some quality issues detected by users (pop noise when using the RCA output).

I will be able to compare it with my current D90 (non-MQA version) before returning it. My main concern is whether the D70s and a Vincent SV-236 hybrid/tube amp will sound excessively warm. D90 and SV-236 sound awesome for my taste, but I've read that D70s is slightly warmer than D90. We'll see...

Last edited:

DHT 845

Sandu Vitalie says D70s in comparison to D90 is warmer, more musical (similar to best R2R) and has larger soundstage.
The tonal characteristic similar to R2R is interesting, especially that D70s has exellent measuremets and its "warmth" just cannot stem from distortions (as in many R2R) and because of that I don't think the sound will be excessively warm (that sometimes happen when there are too many tubes in the system).

Veri

Master Contributor
Objectively speaking there is no proof D70s will sound more "warm" than D90, these are just assumptions and hearsay....
having a few audiophile reviewers claim such things does not make it so.

DHT 845

Of course words don't create reality. But sometimes reviewers have accurate observations.

Top Bottom