• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

alekksander

please stop the "tidal" thing, it sounds sexual and has little to do with this thread.

holbob

How can these guys like Topping or SMSL make such technically perfect products ?
They're only technically perfect if they're working for a long period of time - and if they don't then the sales team are not evasive about refunds. It all adds up in the “technical“ critique of a product.

PeteL

Major Contributor
please stop the "tidal" thing, it sounds sexual and has little to do with this thread.
It has to do with the fact that even with their higher end lines, manufacturers like Topping still chose to not include a key feature like EQ, forcing potential customers to find alternate solutions that are all cumbersome, impractical and not universal.

BostonJack

Editor
Sometimes convenience is worth it. I went out pulling weeds in the garden and just turned on my phone with some music next to me. Nothing "high fidelity" but being able to have some music while working was hugely valuable. Ditto for quickly pumping a youtube or some music into your desktop DAC without needing wires.
Or someone comes to visit and wants to play something for you. Phone is the handiest way for a quick listen.

cheapmessiah

Cant help but wonder if a possible D90 pro might come with 10 band EQ + saved profiles.

Could lierally be the perfect dac.

Also, the A70 amp that is acompaning this is insane power wise, if the advertised numbers are real, and topping tends to be conservative with their power measurements, this A70 canibalizes the A90, A90D, and L70.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Also, the A70 amp that is acompaning this is insane power wise, if the advertised numbers are real, and topping tends to be conservative with their power measurements, this A70 canibalizes the A90, A90D, and L70.
I guess we'll discuss A70 when it comes out, but as far as I remember Topping used to spec power at 10% THD, unless they changed lately that's the total opposite of conservative, that's marketing driven inflated specs. What makes you say their numbers are conservative?

Edit, I see they advertise their number at a more reasonable 0.1% THD now. Still into clipping though for ultra low noise designs and Amir's number should be lower than advertised at the clipping point.

Last edited:

Entropy

When I try to compare it to the EX5 I bought after the ASR test
from a purely utilitarian point of view, the buyer is getting:
  • marginally (probably inaudibly) better performance
  • a fancier display
  • no headphone amp (means another expense, if needed)
  • for double the price
So, as good as this one is, I rate it as "great", but I would still buy the EX5 for half the price, if I hadn't already.
Ah, but then there's the SMSL c200 for 60% of the price of the ex5... and then the topping dx1 for less than 50% of the c200 :p

My theory Is that they knew this product was coming when they were developing the a90D, so they intentionally made it discrete to make the comparison more apples-to-oranges. I feel that L70 is far enough removed in price, with still solid measured performance to make either viable for most consumers.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
My theory Is that they knew this product was coming when they were developing the a90D, so they intentionally made it discrete to make the comparison more apples-to-oranges. I feel that L70 is far enough removed in price, with still solid measured performance to make either viable for most consumers.
Still makes no sense. A70Pro vs A90 non discrete? What's the point of the latter, then.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Ah, but then there's the SMSL c200 for 60% of the price of the ex5... and then the topping dx1 for less than 50% of the c200 :p
Sure, but "horses for courses", in my use case I wanted USB, Toslink and coax in, as well as XLR out, and a decent headphone amp.
Shamelessly utilitarian, I know :)

nonnyno

D70 pro + A70 pro... If only the LA70 pro were released here, it would be perfect!

And in a few months they will be replaced by discrete versions.
They can’t do that cos then they’d have to call it the d70 prod which sounds stupid!

Heulpic

Well, MQA is basically bankrupt and TIDAL (as the only company using that format) does not seem to be willing to bail them out. TIDAL even announced that their High-Res tier will be available on with FLAC (see the corresponding discussions here on ASR). MQA RIP.
Yes. That's why I happily switch to Qobuz that became available in Canada for half the price of Tidal's top tier subsciption.
Regarding this thread, Topping is almost becoming boring to watch..;)

Jochen

While Topping is (along with SMSL) the measurements' king of the chinese, even worldwide, hifi gear, they now seem to go also for the sofisticated side. This DAC, together with the absurdly powerful headphone amp A70 (10W at 32 Ohm anybody?), are the first products I remember having seen from them that actually look as good as they measure (the A90/D90 combo has a much more pedestrian look) . Very elegant. Might be the right direction. One reason less to buy any sleek, yet expensive and mediocre "boutique" piece of gear. Well done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom