• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since Topping makes speaker amps, how about multichannel dac? c:
Like this?

Bleib

Major Contributor
When I try to compare it to the EX5 I bought after the ASR test
from a purely utilitarian point of view, the buyer is getting:
  • marginally (probably inaudibly) better performance
  • a fancier display
  • no headphone amp (means another expense, if needed)
  • for double the price
So, as good as this one is, I rate it as "great", but I would still buy the EX5 for half the price, if I hadn't already.
Another option is the DX5 lite. Very pleased with it

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great dac.:)

Some mild criticism :
Why implementing bluetooth ? This protocol has nothing to do with high fidelity, - it would have been really great If there was DLNA , Wi-Fi and Airplay compability.

But I guess one cant have it all for this price.
I thought I had déjà vu, but no, it's exactly the same message you put under another bluetooth dac review.
But what has this protocol done to you? Nobody forces you to use it if you don't want to, but for many it is an added value (including me).

NB
If you blindly recognize a flac transmitted in ldac 990 by a bitperfect, I'll buy you dinner

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like this?
Thanks for the link. I dunno how I missed it. Decent output voltage too.

Oldasdrt

Thanks for the great review,
Love the FFT and the fact that it has BT

tritopia

D70 pro + A70 pro... If only the LA70 pro were released here, it would be perfect!

And in a few months they will be replaced by discrete versions.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi armir thanks for the review. What's going on with the graphs showing filter response? They show show different frequency responses. Filter two for e.g is shown stopping at both 20khz and 22khz wich is correct?
Edit: spent more time looking and it's the massively different scaling. They do show the same thing it just looks very different.

Last edited:

Bernd

Forum Donor
I thought ESS had MQA rendering built in? ( I have a Tidal subscription). Topping used to include MQA...I wonder if it is going bye bye?
Well, MQA is basically bankrupt and TIDAL (as the only company using that format) does not seem to be willing to bail them out. TIDAL even announced that their High-Res tier will be available on with FLAC (see the corresponding discussions here on ASR). MQA RIP.

NexusOne

It‘s interesting that the Dac is More expensive although the amp is More Important for Sound Quality. I am Sure this is a very good dac but I don‘t See big advantages in comparison to a Smsl D6: 5V, better measurements (Which is difficult to Hear), 12V Trigger, More Settings, better display. So for normale usage a D6 is More than enough. The D70Pro is only for geeks?

pLudio

Forum Donor
Apologies for seeming to live in past times. I would love to see classic CD players of the late 80's and 90's reviewed occasionally just to show how far things have moved on and to put the SINAD competition into a better perspective. if Amir's too busy, then could others with similar test gear have a go perhaps?

alekksander

performance wise im very excited, but price and looks… form factor is nice, although that small lcd, its "dated" screen symbols and black shiny plastic surrounding… i'd have hard time buying it even if it was $100 less. Still waiting for improved EX5 and D30Pro successor. i'm really into these "classic looking" orange displays suited on thick black metal fronts.

respice finem

Major Contributor
There is a Tidal plugin for foobar 2000, but IDK how good or bad, since I'm not using streaming services much.

Top Bottom