• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
OLED screen I suppose.
Looks like an LCD considering the backlight bleed:
Topping D70 Pro Sabre Stereo USB DAC Balanced back panel Spectrum Analyzer Review.jpg

Azathoth

Nearly skipped a bit I thought they actually plastered a VU meter there

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I try to compare it to the EX5 I bought after the ASR test
from a purely utilitarian point of view, the buyer is getting:
  • marginally (probably inaudibly) better performance
  • a fancier display
  • no headphone amp (means another expense, if needed)
  • for double the price
So, as good as this one is, I rate it as "great", but I would still buy the EX5 for half the price, if I hadn't already.
“Anche l’occhio vuole la sua parte”…Italian say about the benefits of good looks. Furthermore, the great majority of humans is Topping-less, and this is a great price/quality ratio.

Pio

Forum Donor
I read this one has a 5 Vrms output option (and also a 2.5 Vrms out) 0 any chance you will test those outs?
Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 5.56.16 AM.png

Bernd

Forum Donor
I've added it (as well as Meier crossfeed etc.) via foobar2000. Zero cost, works with any DAC.
That is correct, but it misses the point entirely. Foobar requires a PC, Android or iOS device through which the music has to pass. But if you have a setup that consists only of a standalone streamer - dac - amp then your left without EQ in most cases (unless a Raspberry as a streamer with Camilla ‹freeware too›, or a DAC that has EQ built in. But there are not many of those: RME ADI 2 FS, E1DA DAC, QUDELIX - as far as I know).

Ra1zel

How can these guys like Topping or SMSL make such technically perfect products ?
Take the current top DAC chip from the shelf, find a way to implement it well, opamp output stage with as much NFB as you can cram, now copy for your entire product line.

nonnyno

It’s quite impressive that the dx7pro+ manages to maintain its position. They knocked it out the park with the dac on that

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
That is correct, but it misses the point entirely. Foobar requires a PC, Android or iOS device through which the music has to pass. But if you have a setup that consists only of a standalone streamer - dac - amp then your left without EQ in most cases (unless a Raspberry as a streamer with Camilla ‹freeware too›, or a DAC that has EQ built in. But there are not many of those: RME ADI 2 FS, E1DA DAC, QUDELIX - as far as I know).
You can add Daphile: it allows convolution using files generated by REW. It runs only on x86 (and x64), no ARM.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Sometimes convenience is worth it. I went out pulling weeds in the garden and just turned on my phone with some music next to me. Nothing "high fidelity" but being able to have some music while working was hugely valuable. Ditto for quickly pumping a youtube or some music into your desktop DAC without needing wires.
Sure, I fully understand that convenience reason. At the same time, a dac for 15 dollars would do good enough If bluetooth was the main source.

DSJR

Major Contributor
One area I've seen massive improvements in is the low level noise performance (on the sloping distortion/noise with level plot). I remember a UK magazine (HiFi World) where the then owner/editor criticised 'digital' as having very high distortion at -60dB (maybe it was distortion rarhger than noise back then). This Topping seems a good 10dB better at this low level (lower than most audible music reverb tails I suspect unless the 'volume' is turned well up to compensate), so well done to them and other designers able to get similar improvements over 'red book' players of thirty years ago which themselves were still pretty good overall I believe.

Apologies for seeming to live in past times. I would love to see classic CD players of the late 80's and 90's reviewed occasionally just to show how far things have moved on and to put the SINAD competition into a better perspective. if Amir's too busy, then could others with similar test gear have a go perhaps?

Trell

Major Contributor

Not only that, but it won't work for other non-USB inputs that the D70 Pro Sabre has. With EQ built-in one is not dependent upon software like Foobar to do the wanted EQ that only handles some audio in the PC.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I thought ESS had MQA rendering built in? ( I have a Tidal subscription). Topping used to include MQA...I wonder if it is going bye bye?

Tangband

Major Contributor
One area I've seen massive improvements in is the low level noise performance (on the sloping distortion/noise with level plot). I remember a UK magazine (HiFi World) where the then owner/editor criticised 'digital' as having very high distortion at -60dB (maybe it was distortion rarhger than noise back then). This Topping seems a good 10dB better at this low level (lower than most audible music reverb tails I suspect unless the 'volume' is turned well up to compensate), so well done to them and other designers able to get similar improvements over 'red book' players of thirty years ago which themselves were still pretty good overall I believe.

Apologies for seeming to live in past times. I would love to see classic CD players of the late 80's and 90's reviewed occasionally just to show how far things have moved on and to put the SINAD competition into a better perspective. if Amir's too busy, then could others with similar test gear have a go perhaps?
Yes, the distortion at -60 dB was terrible in my Denon multibit cd-player in the late -80s. I had a test cd and the distortion was very high at that level making the music sound terrible. The newer technology working with 24 or 32/64bit internally on AD and DA has made a digital volume control much better sounding in many cases. The linearity is much better with 144 dB digital dynamic range compared to 96 dB from a 16 bit dac. And as you know, in some cases theres no need for a traditional preamp because of this.*

*(In the near future all hifi speakers will probably be active because of the high prices of passive crossover components. Then we will have the streamer, dac, preamp, active crossover and amplifiers built inside the speakers . Exactly like a Kef ls60.)

”The source is in the speaker” as someone said 10 years ago.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom