• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

zenmastering

In addition to Chinese New Year, there's the small matter of a Global Pandemic that might have been a factor...

Yeh it was last year, then january, end of january, after chinese new year and now march. :facepalm:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In addition to Chinese New Year, there's the small matter of a Global Pandemic that might have been a factor...
Shouldn't have done announcements then or sent Amir a "prototype" months before actual release.

Derekinla

Do any of these high performing DACS color the sound or have an impact on sound that is not captured by objective measurements? Would things like soundstaging, instrument separation, imaging, dynamics be noticeably different?

Last edited:

parnold

I think unless you have balanced inputs on the speakers, and/or you really want a volume control on the DAC itself (vs just the remote) then I really don't think you need this :)

Thanks. Just received it. The one thing I am noticing is that the remote is a little weak for my liking, I can move to only about 20 degrees left of the device and have the remote work while I can move maybe 45-60+ degrees to the right of the E30. @amirm have you been able to replicate the above? Does the DX30 pro have greater remote range?

EDIT: May just buy an IR extender to alleviate this.

Last edited:

kiyu

someone could call topping and inform them that is already March and we want D30Pro + A30pro. lol

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just heard back on pricing of this unit. Component shortages and costs have had a big impact on the industry. As a result the cost for D30Pro is US $399.99.

Kane1972

If i wanted to use this to output from my DAW to process audio through some analogue compressors or EQ's etc can anyone tell me what the maximum output level is on the XLR outputs? For instance the Tascam interfaces are +20dBu (7.75Vrms). What is the line up, as in is 12dBu equivalent to 0dBFS or is 18dBu equivalent to 0dBFS? Thanks and apologies if these questions are answered in the review and I simply was to thick to work it out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If i wanted to use this to output from my DAW to process audio through some analogue compressors or EQ's etc can anyone tell me what the maximum output level is on the XLR outputs?
4.15 volt.

Latent333

Will this play back native DSD in preamp mode, or is it necessary to place into a “DAC only mode” and use a separate preamp?

Daverz

Major Contributor
I just heard back on pricing of this unit. Component shortages and costs have had a big impact on the industry. As a result the cost for D30Pro is US $399.99.

$60 cheaper than the SMSL SU-9, which has bluetooth.

zenmastering

dB dBu dBFS dBV to volts audio conversion digital - calculator volt to dBu and dBV dB mW SPL dB decibels 0 dBFS - convert dB volt normal decibels relatioship relation explanation analog audio absolute level true rms convertor converter decibel to dbfs converter calculation online attenuation loss gain ratio reference audio engineering sound recording dBFS dBVU 0 dB audio logarithm level converter peak to peak p-p impedance voltage pro consumer audio digital analog recording level - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

If i wanted to use this to output from my DAW to process audio through some analogue compressors or EQ's etc can anyone tell me what the maximum output level is on the XLR outputs? For instance the Tascam interfaces are +20dBu (7.75Vrms). What is the line up, as in is 12dBu equivalent to 0dBFS or is 18dBu equivalent to 0dBFS? Thanks and apologies if these questions are answered in the review and I simply was to thick to work it out.

curiouspeter

$60 cheaper than the SMSL SU-9, which has bluetooth.

The SU-9 also has MQA, which I think will slowly find its way through the system.

I used to think I could avoid MQA by switching to Qobuz. It turns out Qobuz has MQA albums too. This means the infiltration can happen stealthily without official platform support.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The SU-9 also has MQA, which I think will slowly find its way through the system.

I used to think I could avoid MQA by switching to Qobuz. It turns out Qobuz has MQA albums too. This means the infiltration can happen stealthily without official platform support.

Yeah, I don't want MQA, so I didn't mention it. Does Qobuz have MQA only releases? Are they marked as MQA?

curiouspeter

Yeah, I don't want MQA, so I didn't mention it. Does Qobuz have MQA only releases? Are they marked as MQA?

Qobuz has MQA-only hi-res releases, although I think you can still get the Redbook version. They are not marked as MQA, just as "HiRes" 24/44.1. So far, I have only seen releases from 2L being like this.

Top Bottom