• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there any news on a successor for this DAC?
What needs to be improved that actually makes a noticeable difference in day-to-day use?

I'm certain Topping can bump up the measured numbers by tweaking/improving the design but personally I would not be willing to pay for that as it would not make any difference in day-to-day use. An improvement could be adding BT which was dropped due shortages in de D30 Pro.
Perhaps replace the XLR connectors for TRS ones so there is perhaps room for more inputs. (?)

roundsound

What needs to be improved that actually makes a noticeable difference in day-to-day use?

I'm certain Topping can bump up the measured numbers by tweaking/improving the design but personally I would not be willing to pay for that as it would not make any difference in day-to-day use. An improvement could be adding BT which was dropped due shortages in de D30 Pro.
Perhaps replace the XLR connectors for TRS ones so there is perhaps room for more inputs. (?)
The D30 Pro is discontinued, leaving the A30 Pro as the only amplifier without a DAC, matching in appearance. Perhaps the A30 Pro will also be discontinued when it runs out of stock? or perhaps a successor to D30 Pro will be announced?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
The D30 Pro is discontinued, leaving the A30 Pro as the only amplifier without a DAC, matching in appearance. Perhaps the A30 Pro will also be discontinued when it runs out of stock? or perhaps a successor to D30 Pro will be announced?
I'm afraid that A30 Pro will follow D30 Pro to oblivion. Which would be a pity for lovers of single ended powerful HP amplifiers

Lupin

Even if there will be a successor to the D30 Pro i think the chances it will come in the same form factor are very low.
In this price segment in which the D30 Pro exists tooling costs for the chassis is really a significant part of the BOM. Therefor it would make much more sense for Topping to (re)use a chassis from one of their (more) recent models.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
IMG_3583.jpeg

D70 Pro Octo. The succesor of the D30 Pro? Same CS43198 DAC chip, but with 8 units, instead of 4.

(From the FB announcement)
”We're glad to announce the D70 PRO OCTO DAC at US$599, which uses 8 pcs CS43198 chip, supports PCM768kHz/32Bit and DSD512. It provides a superior restored capacity with subtle details displayed.”

Lupin

Doesn't really feel like a D30 Pro successor to me as Topping placed it in the D70 lineup.
Everything is a successor of everything in Topping's lineup if the DAC chip(s) used is the deciding factor if something is a successor or not.

It provides a superior restored capacity with subtle details displayed.
Another example why Topping really should invest in the western market with at least one person that speaks (native) English. This line really reads like it was copied in Google translate and 1:1 pasted whatever came out.

BTW
How does Topping get PCM768kHz and DSD512 out of the CS43198 DAC chip that "only" supports PCM384kHz and DSD256?

DearSX

I'm curious to see how this will measure, not that we need something that measures better I don't think. Very interesting stuff. Still I want to see an EQ.

aka_Z

Another one, how 8 chips can sound better ("It provides a superior restored capacity with subtle details displayed.”) than 4? Or 1? I mean, DAC should digital to analog conversion. Are they converting with 8 DACs and then combining result to somehow improve restoration of original analog signal?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Another one, how 8 chips can sound better ("It provides a superior restored capacity with subtle details displayed.”) than 4? Or 1? I mean, DAC should digital to analog conversion. Are they converting with 8 DACs and then combining result to somehow improve restoration of original analog signal?
Every doubling of Amp chips reduces the output noise by 3dB.
Eight CS43198 chips in parallel means 9dB less noise than with just one chip (best-case scenario).

Vantavimeow

Unless I'm mistaken It has slightly higher distortion overall and a lower base price, I don't get it.

aka_Z

Thanks, basically voltage doubles, which is +3dBm and SNR improved by about the same 3dBm.

Edit: Doubling voltage should be +6dBm.

Toku

Major Contributor
BTW
How does Topping get PCM768kHz and DSD512 out of the CS43198 DAC chip that "only" supports PCM384kHz and DSD256?
I'm also very curious about that, just like you.
I think there is probably no special mechanism and it is simply down-converting.
SMSL's DAC M300SE has similar specifications. The DAC chip used is CS43131 and can operate up to PCM384kHz/DSD256, but the actual product specifications state that it is compatible with PCM768kHz/DSD512.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got another A30Pro/D30Pro stack together today. Forgot how nice it is to have a DAC with no MQA or bluetooth antenna I never use. I think they really got it right with the D30Pro, 3 prong grounded power cord that's easy to replace. Been using an A90/E50 stack and the A90 does sound nicer, but if you can't find a D30Pro, the E50 with a Samsung ETA0U60JBE charger does just as well. Just have to relocate the serial number sticker to the bottom and clear tape over it.

Top Bottom