• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think male 1/4" TRS may be the easiest common connector for probing, with its large surface area for poles.
Sure, but for the D30Pro, an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable would be required which isn't all that common.
And probing a bare XLR Male connector ain't that difficult in the first place :)

Lozanoa11

Ok, so I don't think that's the issue. I found a song that in the beginning of the song it was just a male singer and when he was loudest you could hear some slight distortion, and I don't hear it with XLR. I put the DAC in pre-amp mode and lowered the volume to -4.0dB and I still could hear it through RCA. A couple times I thought I heard it through XLR but then I would re listen and wouldn't hear it. Part of why I'm worried it's all in my head. But for the most part XLR sounds cleaner and clearer.
So I guess the clear solution is to use the XLR out, but it's annoying. I just ordered some Neutric XLR plugs, I want to make a nicer looking one then the one I was using. I made these out of leftover components and I'd like them to match the rest of the cables.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Lozanoa11

So what if I just used the RCA out as a Sub Out? Should I use both channels and run to a splitter?
My amp doesn't have a Sub out so I was going to use speaker level inputs but I'd rather have it line level.

Lozanoa11

@Lozanoa11 What inputs does your subwoofer have and what settings are possible on it?
It has line in and line out on a single RCA jack or left and right speaker terminals in and out. The only setting is power saver mode or reverse polarity

Attachments

• 168971804753321597231607656559.jpg
    168971804753321597231607656559.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 37

staticV3

Master Contributor
So what if I just used the RCA out as a Sub Out? Should I use both channels and run to a splitter?
Do not plug both RCA outputs into a single RCA input using a Y-adapter.
This will short the DAC's left and right outputs, potentially damaging it.

Two options:
-plug either the left, or the right output into your sub (this is mostly fine as bass frequencies are largely the same for each channel)
-buy (or build) a Stereo->Mono summing circuit, plug both RCA outs into it, and plug the Mono out into your sub.

Lozanoa11

Do not plug both RCA outputs into a single RCA input using a Y-adapter.
This will short the DAC's left and right outputs, potentially damaging it.

Two options:
-plug either the left, or the right output into your sub (this is mostly fine as bass frequencies are largely the same for each channel)
-buy (or build) a Stereo->Mono summing circuit, plug both RCA outs into it, and plug the Mono out into your sub.
Ohh I like the idea of building a summing circuit. I'm actually not familiar with the term but I'm sure I can figure it out with Google lol. Thanks for the warning though, wouldn't want that. Do you think these DACs have a protection for that kinda stuff?

aka_Z

It's simple to build. You just just need two resistors (about 1k) in series between left and right, and take signal between them to sub. Ground remains as is. You can even hide them inside RCA. Of course, you need soldering iron :)

Lozanoa11

It's simple to build. You just just need two resistors (about 1k) in series between left and right, and take signal between them to sub. Ground remains as is. You can even hide them inside RCA. Of course, you need soldering iron :)
Bet! Yea I can do that. I actually recently started getting into making my own cables again. So this year I invested in a soldering station. I'll have to order the resistors. I think I have some 2 or 4 ohms lol.
Here's a picture of the cables I use to go from my pre-amps 2nd out to my studio monitors

Attachments

• PXL_20230327_012431953.jpg
    PXL_20230327_012431953.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 49

aka_Z

I build something similar not so long time ago for butkicker :D I think I use 470 ohm or something like that. Too lazy to open RCA now, sorry. With a remote, I can change E70V output to XLR, RCA or both. I have active (Adam audio) speakers and subwoofer.

Btw, line out has internal impedance. So, even shorting left and right should not damage it but it might or degrade performance. Better safe than sorry :)

p.s.
I'm glad that some people still know how to use soldering iron :)

Lozanoa11

I was never good at soldering. But I never really had anyone teach me, and I did it so infrequently for my mediocre soldering skill to not matter. Turns out if you have an iron that gets hot enough and just practice a bunch, you get pretty decent at it lol

Zek

Major Contributor
Should I use both channels and run to a splitter?
My amp doesn't have a Sub out so I was going to use speaker level inputs
You mean to combine both channels into one - it is not recommended, because it is not known how such a connection will affect the previous stage.
It is better to connect the subwoofer to the speaker terminals and connect the main speakers to the sub.

Lozanoa11

Gotcha ok.
Side quest question: I'm building another set of XLR to RCA cables, what should I use? Mogami W2534 star quad(what I'm using now) or W2549(What my tonearm cables are) 2 wire microphone cable?

Lozanoa11

What do you intend to connect with such a cable?
Well this whole thing started a page or two ago, I have been using both the RCA and XLR outs into my pre-amp but my pre amp isn't balanced so I made XLR to RCA cables, originally just for the hell of it. But then I noticed some distortion in certain tracks but only out of the RCA outs. We cannot figure out why but seems like it's the simple solution.

Top Bottom