• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Therefore, you need a galvanic isolation like AudioQuest JitterBug or cheap analogs with Ali
If you need galvanic isolation don't buy a JitterBug because it doesn't do it. In measurements it doesn't do much, and from the photo after the dog chewed it we see a basic USB filter that should cost a fraction of what AudioQuest charge - Wurth used to sell them for ~$15 as an evaluation board for components intended to be used on motherboards, which should already include them or an equivalent. You need isolation only if you have a ground related noise issue - common enough to be an FAQ but still it seems to be a minority of users.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok, what you need to buy in case, if you have a ground related noise issue?
A full galvanic isolator is rather expensive, so an iFi iDefender could work to break the power off the usb and get it externally. If you order it from amazon you can check if it works and solves the problem, or return it if it doesn't.
You could also get a $20 USB isolator from eBay (shipped from China) but that will be limited to 12Mbps (1.5 MB/s) transfer speed. A full-fledged full-speed one like an Intona costs hundreds of dollars.

conuss

A full galvanic isolator is rather expensive, so an iFi iDefender could work to break the power off the usb and get it externally. If you order it from amazon you can check if it works and solves the problem, or return it if it doesn't.
You could also get a $20 USB isolator from eBay (shipped from China) but that will be limited to 12Mbps (1.5 MB/s) transfer speed. A full-fledged full-speed one like an Intona costs hundreds of dollars.
Thanks. I'll try this 12 Mbps with Ali

Attachments

• Hcc0d9777a7984eaaa0bad5db59423090O.jpg
    Hcc0d9777a7984eaaa0bad5db59423090O.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 105

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Balanced DAC is only any good if you've got a balanced input to connect it to, in which case you might get away with a quasi-balanced rca to xlr cable. @Veri has the usb side covered. Failing that the most cost effective option is probably to use the D10s as a USB to coax/toslink adapter and get another DAC like the E30

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did not catch this. So no power cord. Does that mean it's made to run only from a computer? Would it not run powered by a Samsung phone with a USB-C to USB-B connector?
I've run mine attached to a PC and also a Raspberry Pi, but both of these are mains powered. I don't know for certain, but I suspect a phone wouldn't be sufficient to power the D10s for long.

peter bach

Hello everyone
Can I connect spdif to i2s board to the topping d10s dac ?
I can find the i2s marked pins around the dac chip.
7-1.jpg

melowman

Hi. Could anybody tell me what's reported ASIO input and output latency - in samples - in the control panel, when the buffer size is set to 2048 @ 44.1 or 48kHz, both with Safe Mode on and off? Thank you very much for the help.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hello everyone
Can I connect spdif to i2s board to the topping d10s dac ?
I can find the i2s marked pins around the dac chip.View attachment 121647
If you need to ask then I'd advise against trying unless you're happy to risk killing your D10s, and do a lot of learning. You 'd have to disconnect those lines from the XMOS that's currently driving them, and there's a fair chance you'd need to reconfigure the DAC chip via i2c too. Reverse engineering will be required. If you want a learning experience then by all means give it a try, but if you just want a DAC with spdif input then sell the D10s and buy an E30.

peter bach

If you need to ask then I'd advise against trying unless you're happy to risk killing your D10s, and do a lot of learning. You 'd have to disconnect those lines from the XMOS that's currently driving them, and there's a fair chance you'd need to reconfigure the DAC chip via i2c too. Reverse engineering will be required. If you want a learning experience then by all means give it a try, but if you just want a DAC with spdif input then sell the D10s and buy an E30.
Thanks for replying.
It's complicated for my knowledge to try this out. I will sell it.
Thank you again.

JeyElDee

There's no sign of isolation in the pcb photos, and it would be surprising to find it at this price level.
Indeed no isolation and I can hear my computer clearly. Very disappointing, I had to send it back.
I really don't understand how this can measure so good if all noise coming from USB power goes through this thing...

Before returning did some other tests. SPdif bridge only usable true Toslink. As soon as I connect to coax I can hear my computer.
Connected to my phone there is no problem.
1% or more of battery per played track :) Won't be doing that as I would simultaniously need to charge it...

Would have been nice though to have it as a more mobile DAC than the D30Ppo (that does not have this issue)

top1.JPG

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Indeed no isolation and I can hear my computer clearly. Very disappointing, I had to send it back.
I really don't understand how this can measure so good if all noise coming from USB power goes through this thing...
It's a modern presentation of what's commonly called a ground loop, so whether it's an issue depends on the rest of your system and how you've got it connected. No 'loop', no measurable or audible issue, hence the good performance both in tests and in many people's systems. Almost every USB DAC with RCA outputs has the possibility of this issue - I'm not aware of one that doesn't. For some reason the hifi world persists with single ended interconnects - it's slightly cheaper, and works without issues more often than not, so I suppose it's 'good enough.' The pro audio world avoids the problem by using balanced interconnects - except if you have a 'pin 1 problem' in which case it's back again.
I hear no noise using it as USB -> coaxial a bridge.
coax spdif output is transformer isolated, so doesn't contribute to any loop.

I would be really curious to know how this (D10s) compare against Topping SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II.
I see both reviews and results seems similar, D10s has a better multi-tone chart while the SMSL little better Intermodulation Distortion.

Personally, I do not care about different inputs since I will be just use USB and RCA out. Also no pre-amp function or remote needed, they will probably will be used at a desk. Also, in Europe I see they are priced basically the same +-5 euro depending on the day/offer.
So strictly pure performance speaking, even if are both entry level DACs, what should I buy/consider?

Thanks in advanced.

JeyElDee

It's a modern presentation of what's commonly called a ground loop, so whether it's an issue depends on the rest of your system and how you've got it connected. (...) - I'm not aware of one that doesn't.

Nope, this is my first DAC with this issue. My recent Topping D30Pro does not have this. I tested RCA and no problem but now it is connected balanced to the C46 preamp.
Other DAC's used before without any problems : OPPO HA1, Beresford Caiman, Beresford TC7520, Mudical Fidelity V-DacII and M1DAC, Mcintosh D100, Cambridge Audio Dacmagic etc ...
None of these ever had any issue. Not in the slightest way. And no it is not ground loop. There is no hum. I do hear the CPU-related creepy noise. PC is 4 years old, perhaps a bad one :)
I actually don't care too much. Just a pity.

jmz

I have had a small problem with my configuration D10s and Intel NUC NUC8I5BEH.

When NUC was sitting on the top of D10s like on the picture I was hearing randomly crack/sizzle in the sound. Something like badly worn vinyl disc.
I used Supra Cables High Speed Type A-B USB 50cm cable between NUC and DAC and 200cm Belden 1694a coaxial cable with Canare true 75ohm RCA. My amplifier is Marantz PM6006 UK Edition.

I'm not an expert in electronic but I can see that D10s is using audio transformer on digital output.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Pulse-Electronics/PE-65612NL?qs=0Ba7fqpihnjaWgPSZtGigw==
20210324_132808_1.jpg

20210324_151412_1.jpg

My first thought was to separate them but I didn't have space. So I used some stuff from my workshop and created this solution ;-) My intention was to create some sort of shield between them. It is 3mm thick brass plate 150 x 150mm. It is big enough to cover the whole DAC width and length. The "table" legs are finished with rubber feet.

20210406_134506_1.jpg

This whole setup is sitting on the top of HP Microserver Gen 10 but when DAC is working the server is always down as it is backup server not being used every day.

Since NUC is on this "table" the sound problems are gone.

Top Bottom