• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 or Schiit Modi 3?

Best Overall Performance?

• Topping DX3 Pro

• JDS Labs Atom + Schiit Modi 3

• JDS Labs Atom + Topping D10

Results are only viewable after voting.

honn

Hi all,

Help me decide the better purchase:

1. JDS Labs Atom paired with Topping D10.
2. JDS Labs Atom paired with Schiit Modi 3.
3. Topping DX3 Pro.

Which one has the best overall performance?

HolyBiscuits

I'm interested in this too! I recently decided to sell my Magni 3 to upgrade to the JDS Atom, and I'm currently using a Fulla 2 as a DAC.

OP
honn

honn

@amirm would appreciate your input! Thanks :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Objectively I would say modi 3 or topping d30 + Atom. Pick whichever is more atttactive to you.

Functionally an all in one unit is just very handy and easy to work with.

bboris77

Objectively I would say modi 3 or topping d30 + Atom. Pick whichever is more atttactive to you.

Functionally an all in one unit is just very handy and easy to work with.
I would have to say Modi 3 which has truly been flawless since I bought it. I actually got it to replace my Bifrost multibit as I was downsizing my setup. Honestly, the only difference I could discern between the two was the lower noise floor on the Modi when turning my amp all the way up.

As for the Topping D30, I ordered it after reading the great reviews. The unit worked for about 30 minutes and then one of the channels just died completely. Tried everything to revive it but it was gone. Seeing that this was my first and only experience with this brand, I am very reluctant to try another one of their devices. I have bought at least 20 audio devices over the last 5 years and none have died within 30 minutes of being turned on. Either they are DOA or break just after the warranty expires.

With all the bad rap that Schiit CS gets, I have had great experiences with them. They are very curt and to the point but when one of my tubes included with the Valhalla was making noises, they shipped me a whole new set to Canada.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm would appreciate your input! Thanks :)
If you are asking from pure objective audio point of view, the Modi 3 outperforms the D10. From dealing with a company, I personally would stay far away from Schiit given their past history of customer service and response to work we have done here. The D10 has a much nicer display and likely from subjectively audio point of view, very similar to Modi 3.

On DX3 Pro, it has less power than atom. If you don't need the extra power, and need a neat, clean desk, it makes an excellent option. It is what I use everyday myself. If you like, you can start with DX3 Pro and if you ever need more power, get the Atom. The DX3 Pro DAC portion is superior to D10. And it has perfect channel match due to digital volume control.

OP
honn

honn

If you are asking from pure objective audio point of view, the Modi 3 outperforms the D10. From dealing with a company, I personally would stay far away from Schiit given their past history of customer service and response to work we have done here. The D10 has a much nicer display and likely from subjectively audio point of view, very similar to Modi 3.

On DX3 Pro, it has less power than atom. If you don't need the extra power, and need a neat, clean desk, it makes an excellent option. It is what I use everyday myself. If you like, you can start with DX3 Pro and if you ever need more power, get the Atom. The DX3 Pro DAC portion is superior to D10. And it has perfect channel match due to digital volume control.
Thank you! I will soon make up my mind and treat myself to a Christmas purchase! :p

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Buy the 3 sets, test them over your vacation season, then send back for the refund the 2 you have been liking less ... :cool:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I would have to say Modi 3 which has truly been flawless since I bought it. I actually got it to replace my Bifrost multibit as I was downsizing my setup. Honestly, the only difference I could discern between the two was the lower noise floor on the Modi when turning my amp all the way up.

As for the Topping D30, I ordered it after reading the great reviews. The unit worked for about 30 minutes and then one of the channels just died completely. Tried everything to revive it but it was gone. Seeing that this was my first and only experience with this brand, I am very reluctant to try another one of their devices. I have bought at least 20 audio devices over the last 5 years and none have died within 30 minutes of being turned on. Either they are DOA or break just after the warranty expires.

With all the bad rap that Schiit CS gets, I have had great experiences with them. They are very curt and to the point but when one of my tubes included with the Valhalla was making noises, they shipped me a whole new set to Canada.
Did you contact topping and get this sorted out?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... Tried everything to revive it but it was gone ...

Would you mind giving more details abt. what you did to try to revive it ?
That could be of great helps to others ...
If you had opened up the case you have voided the guarantee I suspect don't you ?

bboris77

Would you mind giving more details abt. what you did to try to revive it ?
That could be of great helps to others ...
If you had opened up the case you have voided the guarantee I suspect don't you ?

No, I was not going to open a brand new unit and risk voiding the warranty. I restarted it a number of times, tried unplugging and re-plugging all the cables. I restarted my system as well. I finally simply placed another DAC (Bifrost) in its place using the same configuration, and it worked perfectly. Like I said, the D30 worked for 30 minutes, and then one of the channels simply died.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I chose the D10. I like the display, and the black case matches my Atom better than the Modi's silver would. Also, IIRC from Amir's review, the Modi performs best when fed power via it's 2nd micro USB input, and I prefer not having to run two cables when I can run just one to the D10. The D10 sounds fine to me, with no noise and no audible distortion.

macauley86

I personally would stay away from Schiit products just for the name of their company. I'm so tired of reading or watching reviews of people saying, "this is good shit!"

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DX3 Pro, no wires and it will drive HD650's. The Atom measures well, but it has a nasty plastic case.

Top Bottom