• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a streamer to my current setup.

Quatorzepr

Hi all, I'm an ASR newbie!

So, I plan on upgrading my streaming setup on my system and have a question about my options.

My current system is dedicated to a turntable consisting of a Linn LP 12 Sondek, a Rega Brio R Amplifier, a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 F5.2 speakers, and a Schiit Modi 3. I use the Schiit Modi 3 with Apple Music app on my iPhone using a USB-Lightning Cable, which can be inconvenient since I need to leave my phone hardwired.

What I want to do is be able to stream high-quality music (CD quality is fine) without leaving my phone behind. I was looking for a $500 streamer and found two options, the Sonos Port and the Bluesound Node. I’m inclined to get the Sonos Port because I’m also thinking of getting a pair of outdoor speakers, and I think Sonos has more options than Bluesound in that category. However, I’ve heard that the Bluesound Node can stream higher quality than the Sonos.

So, would I need to add an external DAC to the Sonos or the Bluesound streamer? Or does the internal DAC on those are better than my Schiit Modi 3, or any other external DAC at that price range (< $300)?

I don’t know if the Sonos/Bluesound is more of a “streamer” rather than a DAC.

My budget is ~$750 - $1,000 USD, so if I need an additional DAC for either the Sonos or the Bluesound, I would instead choose another option.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First thing to do is check the review index on this site. You’ll probably find that the best streamer is a Pi perhaps with a hat or a Wiim. 500 for a streamer in my mind is extreme over spend.

Xombul

Forum Donor
A raspberry 4 + Argon case + MoOde or Roopiee and a topping d10 DAC (if you are not happy with your current DAC) is a cheap and good solution (one third of your budget). In addition you can do room correction with the raspberry.
Wiim is also advisable but you will be probably tempted to add a better external DAC.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find that my old iPad and my old iPad Mini make great "streamers." With an Apple "Camera Adapter" you can grab digital audio from the pad's Lightning port and feed an external DAC, if you wish, while still powering the pad. I don't think you'll miss your phone. You might be able to get a used tablet for less than a streamer that has a poorer user interface. As for the need for an external external DACs, the quality of the analog-out from the iPad earphone jack is fine for me, so my opinion on that may not be that useful to you.

JeremyFife

WiiM mini is foolproof, cheap, bit-perfect (it'll stream whatever quality of signal you put in) and you can have several in a multi-room setup easily. The internal DAC is not brilliant so use your Schiit. If you're not happy with it, you've lost almost nothing (and can always relegate it to a bedroom or something!)

Not quite sure what you are looking for with you outdoor setup. Perhaps some more detail would help

tc2007

Get a used BlueSound Node (2 / 2i / N130) and hook it to your Schiit. The Sonos digital out is limited to 24/92 so there is going to be some resampling when listening to higher res tracks. Also the Node can play music from your USB drives too and can work with a 3rd party IR remote. All in all, the Node is much better value unless you are already deep into Sonos sound system. The built in DAC on these are not good enough.

The next best thing is to get a Cambridge MXN10 and sell your DAC as the built in DAC on MXN is excellent.

tc2007

Wiim (mini and pro) are both excellent values however they have some limitations (no USB playback for one) and the app is no comparison to neither Sonos nor BlueOS. I had Wiim for several months and constantly had issues with Amazon playback stuttering and issues when resuming playback after a few hours.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought my 76-year-old dad a WiiM Pro and no complaints so far, I think it's definitely the strongest value play if you're not keen to play with an rPi. Add a D10 if you want high-end DAC specs and spend the rest on fancy wine to drink on the patio. :)

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Just got my Mini today for $64 shipped. Setup took about 10 minutes, working perfectly via Spotify Connect. Just using with the onboard DAC for now and Aux Out rather than Toslink. It's picking up the home wireless just perfectly on the sunporch, one of the main places I want to use it instead of Bluetooth. Yeah, that setup is slick, everything should be that easy.

Apesbrain

If you'd like to continue using Apple Music, your choices are limited. Sonos supports their SD and Spatial content:
Amazon Echo Link has support for Apple Music and can connect digitally to your Modi. You'd also need an Echo Dot if you want to give it voice commands.

If your goal is to untether your iPhone, you could replace it with an iPad and use the phone for remote control. Gives you a nice big display if you want to see album art, etc.

EDIT: WiiM and other devices support AirPlay, so that would work so long as you don't mind consuming your phone battery while casting.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you'd like to continue using Apple Music, your choices are limited. Sonos supports their SD and Spatial content:
Amazon Echo Link has support for Apple Music and can connect digitally to your Modi. You'd also need an Echo Dot if you want to give it voice commands.

If your goal is to untether your iPhone, you could replace it with an iPad and use the phone for remote control. Gives you a nice big display if you want to see album art, etc.

EDIT: WiiM and other devices support AirPlay, so that would work so long as you don't mind consuming your phone battery while casting.
Limited how?

OP has an iPhone and any Airplay or Airplay2 device is easy to setup and use. With a Pi most any of the distros have Shairplay and that's all that's needed. To connect to a file system add ReadyMedia. PLus most commercial streamer support AirPlay.

OP
Q

Quatorzepr

Thanks all for your replies. I see a lot of Pi or WiiM recommendations instead of going with Sonos or Bluenode, which is fine, but it surprises me they are a “better option” than the Sonos or Bluenode.

After reading your replies, I have another question.
  • Do the streamers' output usually “resample” or convert the HiRes tracks? I’m a believer of “source first” mentality, so I want to try (within my budget) to send to the external DAC the same quality that Apple Music have. If so, what streamer’ specifications do I need to look for when searching.
@NiagaraPete, I think what @Apesbrain is referring to (and I’ve heard this on some blogs) is that sending data from my iPhone to a streamer is not the same as the streamer receiving the data straight from the Apple Music cloud. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to use Sonos.

Thanks again!

tc2007

@Quatorzepr It's a matter of getting what you pay for mostly. With the Wiim models what you are getting is a transparent bit perfect signal out to your DAC of choice. With BlueSound and Sonos the only thing bad about those is the DAC output. But you get a whole lot of features, apps that are very well polished and the whole ecosystem.

Yes some streamers do mess with the bitrate but I think most of them do have options to leave the bitrate alone. Sonos only does 24/92 so that's a problem right there (to some people not most your average consumer).

You can try Wiim from Amazon and return it. I think the Wiim app is it's Achilles' heel if you are the fiddling kind (like me ;)) constantly moving between playlists / tracks / skipping etc. It's simply not as responsive as BluOS / Sonos. if you just have 1 playlist playing for hours then it's not going to be a problem.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks all for your replies. I see a lot of Pi or WiiM recommendations instead of going with Sonos or Bluenode, which is fine, but it surprises me they are a “better option” than the Sonos or Bluenode.

After reading your replies, I have another question.
  • Do the streamers' output usually “resample” or convert the HiRes tracks? I’m a believer of “source first” mentality, so I want to try (within my budget) to send to the external DAC the same quality that Apple Music have. If so, what streamer’ specifications do I need to look for when searching.
@NiagaraPete, I think what @Apesbrain is referring to (and I’ve heard this on some blogs) is that sending data from my iPhone to a streamer is not the same as the streamer receiving the data straight from the Apple Music cloud. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to use Sonos.

Thanks again!
Your iPhone will only connect to a streamer by Bluetooth (less than CD quality) or by Airplay (CD quality) hi rez is not possible. The two ways to get best quality is via a cable or through an Apple TV box.

I’m not sure what Apple Music cloud and Sonos offer. If it’s using Airplay then the max is 16/44.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last thing I should mention is don’t get caught up in these numbers. There is no audible difference between Airplay and direct cable.

tc2007

Letting the streaming do the data pull directly from provider is the best way to do it IMO. The fewer components in the chain the better it is.

funnychap

Hi all, I'm an ASR newbie!

So, I plan on upgrading my streaming setup on my system and have a question about my options.

My current system is dedicated to a turntable consisting of a Linn LP 12 Sondek, a Rega Brio R Amplifier, a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 F5.2 speakers, and a Schiit Modi 3. I use the Schiit Modi 3 with Apple Music app on my iPhone using a USB-Lightning Cable, which can be inconvenient since I need to leave my phone hardwired.

What I want to do is be able to stream high-quality music (CD quality is fine) without leaving my phone behind. I was looking for a $500 streamer and found two options, the Sonos Port and the Bluesound Node. I’m inclined to get the Sonos Port because I’m also thinking of getting a pair of outdoor speakers, and I think Sonos has more options than Bluesound in that category. However, I’ve heard that the Bluesound Node can stream higher quality than the Sonos.

So, would I need to add an external DAC to the Sonos or the Bluesound streamer? Or does the internal DAC on those are better than my Schiit Modi 3, or any other external DAC at that price range (< $300)?

I don’t know if the Sonos/Bluesound is more of a “streamer” rather than a DAC.

My budget is ~$750 - $1,000 USD, so if I need an additional DAC for either the Sonos or the Bluesound, I would instead choose another option.
I stream Apple Music (hires-lossless) so I bought the Eversolo DMP-A6 which has builtin native Apple Music.
I bought the $850 Eversolo DMP-A6 from Amazon.

Top Bottom