• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC & AMP in need of advice (open suggestions)

Hopeless109

After reading reviews and extensive research for 6 months. At the same time saving up a bit of money for the upgrade.

I have started to root for JDS Labs.

Since I am only using it with my old computer pair it with one & only Ananda stealth magnet. Now I am having a problem with the following choices

Atom stack 2 $250 new release, mo output option, mo power!! (but I don't think need that yet)

Element iii mk2 $450 all in one device, 1 power supply all in 1. Simply comparable music with atom stack but some say is better. I love it but the price tag is preventing me from the purchase button

Used Element ii for $260. I am not sure if this is similar to Element iii but the price could be compared with the new Atom stack 2.

Which one do you think is better for a newbie? Please voice out your advice with no hesitation

12/Dec/2023 update to open suggestions
I was actually into "all in 1" devices in the first place since they can have 1 less power supply to plugin or even no power supply. It can take up less space on my desk as well
The thing is I was looking at element iii and the price is just too high for me. I am not sure if a used element ii will be as good as element iii
Therefore, any comments on Topping DX3pro+? SMSL M300 SE and DL200? Fiio K7? and such

one more question, I am thinking of changing my Ananda cable to a longer one. should I go for 6.35mm jack or a balanced with 4.4mm?

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
FYI

I vote for the Atom stack 2

Consider incorporating parametric equalization for your headphones - as suggested in the link above - via software running on your computer - you may perceive 'more transparency' in playback

I think Amir would recommend considering saving up for a setup that has a differential (balanced) inputs - especially for a USB input from a computer - to guard against hum from an AC power ground loop.

OP
H

Hopeless109

FYI

I vote for the Atom stack 2

Consider incorporating parametric equalization for your headphones - as suggested in the link above - via software running on your computer - you may perceive 'more transparency' in playback

I think Amir would recommend considering saving up for a setup that has a differential (balanced) inputs - especially for a USB input from a computer - to guard against hum from an AC power ground loop.
Thank you for your prompt reply~~

I understand the Ananda was not perfect, choosing it is due to my big head XDXDXD. Sony XM3 was hurting me after a long section. luckily I got Ananda at a bargain price. The Eq info is great, it is a lifesaver since I have a strong feeling that the bass isn't great.

Was initially going for all-in-one Zen Dac v2 & DX3pro, but then I heard good things about JDS Labs and rooting for them.

how do you feel when atom stack 2 is compared with element ii? Since the price of used is so close

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Thank you for your prompt reply~~

I understand the Ananda was not perfect, choosing it is due to my big head XDXDXD. Sony XM3 was hurting me after a long section. luckily I got Ananda at a bargain price. The Eq info is great, it is a lifesaver since I have a strong feeling that the bass isn't great.

Was initially going for all-in-one Zen Dac v2 & DX3pro, but then I heard good things about JDS Labs and rooting for them.

how do you feel when atom stack 2 is compared with element ii? Since the price of used is so close
I would go for 'new' because I don't feel I would hear any measured difference between the two. Others can better advise on the parametric equalization software to deploy but I believe it can be done for free or very little money.

Top Bottom